Am I The Only One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I The Only One

I have been thinking about something for a while now and I have finally decided to get everyone elses opinion is on it.

Anyway here goes....while my wife and I were at the U.S. Nationals we were sitting there and she says to me who is your driver,who do you want to win. My response to her question was I don't really care I just like to watch the cars. I mean I really could care less who won I just like watching the cars go down the track. And that was when I realized that I really do only care about the cars and that who is driving them doesn't matter to me. I really am awed by the technology and speed and times that the fuel cars go. But what is really mind boggling to me is the fact that Larson's and Lut's cars can go 6's at over 200 mph go 1000 + miles and keep them from puking parts. To me that is just awsome. But I feel that the guys doing dragweek are more talented than any of the fuel drivers because they are tuning, driving and fixing all on their own junk. I know they have a co-pilot and they may or may not have tuned the engine initial set-up but there is no dyno on the road. To me those cars are just cool, even if they are a large by huge big block with a pair of monster hair dryers attached to them. I am in awe of how things have evolved.

I guess I should clarify that my question is how many of us are fans of a certain driver or how many of us could care less about who is driving and are more a fan of the cars.

Re: Am I The Only One

then why does everyone find bracket racing boring..

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396
      ...But what is really mind boggling to me is the fact that Larson's and Lut's cars can go 6's at over 200 mph go 1000 + miles and keep them from puking parts. To me that is just awsome. But I feel that the guys doing dragweek are more talented than any of the fuel drivers because they are tuning, driving and fixing all on their own junk...
      What you're not considering though, is that at the speeds you're referring to, it takes exponentially more power to get down the track quicker (huge difference between a 6 second ride and a 4 second ride). It's not linear to go from 9s to 8s to 6s to 5s, etc.
      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

I agree there is a huge power difference between a 4 second car and a 6 second car. But I am commenting on the how the technology has evolved. I don't know what year or who but I am sure that at one time a fast top fuel time was in the six second range. And look at how fast the heavy hitters on dragweek are going. I remember when a 10 second street car was considered fast and uncommon.

Comment

maybe I read it differently, but I too like watching the Cars more than who is driving. Why I sit and watch F1, Indy cars, drag racing, etc.

Cars going fast, straight, turning, round in round. its all good.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

WHAT was the question again?
            STUGOTS

Comment

I remember when a 10 second street car was considered fast and uncommon.
              still is a 10sec all motor ride is

Comment

I'm a fan of the cars and the technology. I'm only mildly intererested in who is behind the wheel. I get irritated as hell when all they do is show the placement based on the driver's name, I'm far more interested in which make and team is leading.

Comment

I don't really have favorite drivers and I don't follow any one series close enough to develop an interest in any one driver. My job keeps me really busy, so I watch different motor sports just because I enjoy the cars, the technology and the skill it takes to pilot the cars. I'll watch F1 one day, WRC the next and drag racing on another day.

I'm just a gearhead, so I like to watch stuff with engines go fast.

I think NASCAR is probably the one people ask about the most. "Who do you root for?" "Who's your driver?" When I say that I don't care, people look at me like I have three heads. I guess you're supposed to care when it comes to making left turns for three hours??? I still watch NASCAR, but I'm nowhere near being a die hard fan.

Comment

I don't know what year or who but I am sure that at one time a fast top fuel time was in the six second range.
                    in the mid 70s, Garlits held the TF record for a long time with a 5.63 run, everyone else was stuck in the 6s.

I'm with you....I'm not much of a fan, but I like the cars. And I'd much rather be the guy buidling/driving the car than the guy in stands watching. Been a long long time since I attended a nationals type drag race as a spectator--I think the last time was a few months before I put that 396 in my truck and became a racer.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Im with you squirrel its real hard for me to go watch any type of sportsman or bracket type racing without wishing I was out there racing my car. Even if it is slower than most. I have to admit I attend the US Nationals every year which I have for the last 15 years. I just can't get enough of the fuel cars display of power.

Comment

the internet hates nascar ?
                        nascar still is the biggest drawing motorsport in the USA
                        the internet loves WRC?
                        name one driver
                        the internet loves road racing ?
                        road courses resemble old west ghost towns during events

Comment

Neat tradition....15 years is a long time!

I pull for certain guys when I watch or even when announcing occasionally. Bruce Litton is a man I have immense respect for as both a person and a racer for example.

That being said, it has been a while since I have been a spectator at a race. Most times I am there in some sort of "working" (use that term loosely) capacity either announcing, taking photos, or reporting.

The cars are what brought me to love drag racing and the cars keep me loving it. The people add some spice, but, especially with drag racing, the cars put asses in the seats.

Wally Parks always saw the "cars as the stars". NASCAR's gradual shift in promoting the drivers more than the cars helped their popularity rocket past drag racing starting in the 1970s and continuing on from there.

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Wally Parks always saw the "cars as the stars". NASCAR's gradual shift in promoting the drivers more than the cars helped their popularity rocket past drag racing starting in the 1970s and continuing on from there.
                            Do you think NHRA will ever focus on the drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Do you think NHRA will ever focus on the drivers?
                              they alway have..
                              snake/mongoose/hoffman/force/bernstien(yes I speeled them wrong)cook
                              and so on..

jungle jim etc.........
                              say'n it was always about the cars. is like say'n the cot car are different from one and other..

Comment

Working...
                              X