Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camera Recomendations?

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Ok. so who is getting the free stuff? You obviously know by making that definitive (as always) statement.
    go open any photomag, and there is a famous sports photo tog, hocking the gear. of x camera maker..
    I'm sure they did the ad out of the kindness of their heart..
    not definitive, but not blind either..

Comment

on one of my local forums, we solved this problem by giving a clown his own forum. you might consider trying that here.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
        on one of my local forums, we solved this problem by giving a clown his own forum. you might consider trying that here.
        :
        didn't know they had a search engineer forum ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS
          Here are my opinions on the differences between Sony, Nikon and Canon.

Sony- Strictly consumer level stuff. Terrible ISO performance and only so-so image quality. Auto-focus is noticeably slower than Nikon or Canon cameras. They tend to be on the cheaper side, but you get what you pay for. And yes, they use Minolta mounts for lenses, so all your old film lenses will work. Ok for portrait, stationary subjects in good light.

Nikon- Nice image quality, by far the best ISO performance (their approach has been better ISO performance over higher mega-pixels). Image stabilization is in the body and works fairly well, but I feel isn't as good as the Canon in the lens stabilization. VR lenses are even more expensive than Canon L lenses. If I took pictures at night or in low light often, I would use Nikon cameras. Great for action, stills, landscape, portraits and everything inbetween in good to terrible light.

Canon- Great image quality(though this could be subjective) and fair ISO performance unless you're spending big dollars. L series lenses can be expensive, but the image stabilization in the lens(when equipped) works very well. Some of their latest cameras actually aren't as good as their older ones. Great for action, stills, landscape, and portraits in good to fair light(again, unless you spend a lot of money on the body).

These are just my opinions.
          Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now & then...

My point is that today's consumer or prosumer models with some decent glass is lightyears ahead of what I lusted after only 10 years ago. My hobby-class stuff gives me a lot of pleasure, and if you're aware of the compromises will work for anything short of publication quality.
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
            Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Being lucky enough to know some of the bigger guys in this end of the photo world....no one is giving them anything.
            maybe not but nikon gives alot of gear to sports photo togs..
            canon does also..
            Nobody gives away equipment, they will give you stuff to use for awhile to field test for them,but rarely do they get to keep anything.

Comment

I've shot professionally with nikon for about 30 years. nothing against canon but they made some bad business decisions regarding their cameras in the 80's and that cost them but thats for another thread.

Nobody gives me free equipment but do get to test some out occasionally.

I've never had any equipment failure and highly recommend the nikon line. But to each their own. The D90 is a great camera and should handle what bill is looking for. The old saying is correct, you will get what you pay for.
              Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Originally posted by bearphoto
                I've shot professionally with nikon for about 30 years. nothing against canon but they made some bad business decisions regarding their cameras in the 80's and that cost them but thats for another thread.

Nobody gives me free equipment but do get to test some out occasionally.

I've never had any equipment failure and highly recommend the nikon line. But to each their own. The D90 is a great camera and should handle what bill is looking for. The old saying is correct, you will get what you pay for.
                I'd have to agree with Nikon's not failing. I still mess around with Dad's 1965 Nikon F 35mm when I feel like buying a roll of film. Even the light meter still works. My current Nikon L100 is one tough camera. I ran it over with a 68 Cougar and still shot near a hundred pics before getting the shoot button replaced. I'm not super happy about the full car shots I take with it, but shooting in Macro is damned nice.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

yes, I forgot about the drop kick it the salt that my D300 took. after my dumbness I vowed that I will only by things that are over built, such as the magnesium body. my being a klutz warrants me paying for more camera than I need.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Actually i did have one failure with my Nikon D2H, about 4 years ago doing a shoot on the beach of Kauai, two beautiful twins in the surf and sand, guess i was concentrating too much and did'nt see a rogue wave coming. Wave hit and submerged the young ladies and hit me up to my waist. Got the camera and lens drenched with salt water. You can imagine how thats not good for the camera. Anyway, i cleaned myself and the camera/lens up in the room. Had to have the young ladies roll around in the sand a bit to get the water off of them. Darn camera worked for another two years before i had to send it in to Nikon for clean up.
                    Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

not to hijack the thread, but bear you got any hand me downs for a D3000 ? ;D
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

im sending my d300 out for cleaning and service as soon as my freebie d70s gets back from the same service. $230. to service and repair both camera and lens.
                        Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm lucky that the west coast Nikon repair facility is near LAX. It's literally one block from the HRM/CC offices. Too bad they use Canon's. No shipping to wait for.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X