Cacklefest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cacklefest

Not trying to trash on the news reports, but I just don't get Cacklefests. I guess maybe I am too young at 45, but so what? You start an old car and let it idle, that's it, right? Even if it is a historic race car, it still just idles... why not run it like it was intended? The car was built to run, not to be a static or even semi static display. Let it do its job! Anyone who pines away for the old days of racing needs to get involved and either build them a car and go racing or quit watching, cause no matter how much you long for the old days, they aren't coming back! (Same goes for NASCAR- BTW- Dale Earnhardt is DEAD).

Re: Cacklefest

I totally respect our history and doing Bville every year proves it...

BUT really.... Idling down a drag strip is COOL??? WTF over..... geez the slowest guy at Drag week is still a Racer... Everyone else is just fluff for the fray.... he's the deal.... Mid 13's got you in the race... and you were part of the dance... not part of the Show and tell....

Just NOT in my make up... don't get the Chackle thing...

K

Comment

I get where you guys are at. No problem.

Personally for me, being able to see Roland Leong fire up and tweak the barrel valve on the Hawaiian or seeing Garlits climb out of a slingshot that was just belching flames is cool because I never got to see it in "real time".

It isn't so much about the noise or the fire so much as it is a few minutes of time travel for lots of people who either were there, or love the era but couldn't be there (guys like me). Virtually all of the cars there have some very neat history and that's what it is about.

As far as racing the cars....simply put, they can't. Period correct three point cages won't certify for any et in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile.

It sure isn't everyone's bag, and while the cars are not racing at the cack-fest, many or them were restored and are run by the dudes who did race them back in the day. Don't tell me Roland Leong ain't a racer!

Totally respect your opinion....that's just my $0.02

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

leong was working for force , last I saw
        what is criminal is that leong and garlits and prudhomme cannot be really active in the sport , due to nhra making racing needlessly expensive and there is not enough sponsor money to go around
        cacklefest is cool on main street

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          I get where you guys are at. No problem.

Personally for me, being able to see Roland Leong fire up and tweak the barrel valve on the Hawaiian or seeing Garlits climb out of a slingshot that was just belching flames is cool because I never got to see it in "real time".

It isn't so much about the noise or the fire so much as it is a few minutes of time travel for lots of people who either were there, or love the era but couldn't be there (guys like me). Virtually all of the cars there have some very neat history and that's what it is about.

As far as racing the cars....simply put, they can't. Period correct three point cages won't certify for any et in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile.

It sure isn't everyone's bag, and while the cars are not racing at the cack-fest, many or them were restored and are run by the dudes who did race them back in the day. Don't tell me Roland Leong ain't a racer!

Totally respect your opinion....that's just my $0.02

Brian
          I think it be better if the NHRA opened up a little and at least let them power down the track for 100' then kill it..
          at least you'd get the feel and sound of the old days.
          otherwise why you need a track, take it on the road, as anywhere U.S.A. will do.
          the cars are cool. history is cool. but . see'n them in action even for only 100' would be so much better..
          yes it's better than them being static in a roped off room/building.
          but not my much..

my 2 pennies, I'd rather see the old guys run down the track in gas rails(painted to match their old school rides) than idle'n down the track.

cause YES Brian they are racers, and should be racing (health allowing)
          not running as slow as they came down the return road, back in the day

Comment

I put to gather a cackle engine for a guy a while ago.....and if you seen what was in it you'd know why it was just idling..
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
              I put to gather a cackle engine for a guy a while ago.....and if you seen what was in it you'd know why it was just idling..
              care to explain?
              Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by RR
                Not trying to trash on the news reports, but I just don't get Cacklefests. I guess maybe I am too young at 45, but so what? You start an old car and let it idle, that's it, right? Even if it is a historic race car, it still just idles... why not run it like it was intended? The car was built to run, not to be a static or even semi static display. Let it do its job! Anyone who pines away for the old days of racing needs to get involved and either build them a car and go racing or quit watching, cause no matter how much you long for the old days, they aren't coming back! (Same goes for NASCAR- BTW- Dale Earnhardt is DEAD).

Dale Earnhardt t shirts still outsell them all
                last week , I was admiring the #3 t shirt my buddy's kid had on , the kid is 5

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  Originally posted by RR

Dale Earnhardt t shirts still outsell them all
                  last week , I was admiring the #3 t shirt my buddy's kid had on , the kid is 5
                  x2

there is 4 trailers that you can get near
                  #24 bla
                  the rest u can walk up to and no line..

Comment

sure those kyle busch goodies fly off the shelves ...looks like nosferantu on a good day

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89
                      Originally posted by A/Fuel
                      care to explain?

Because if they tried to do anything more with it...Kablammy!
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

has them 57 new yorker rods in it

Comment

It had a set of mismatched Brooks rods with a few hundred runs on them...not that that's a really big deal, lol.
                          The scary part was old blown up TFX 92 cast block, it had more windows than a cathedral and the whole bottom end had been replaced at some time. Someone had spent a lot of time bringing it back from the dead. The head studs came out of the block like a porcupine. It took almost a day with a set of hand files and air grinders to get the heads to set on...and I'm still not convinced I was able to really torque them. It ran though, and we leaked it down afterwards....a few holes had 60%, but it ran..
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

i got to see a nitro-powered car run

King and Marshall nitro dragster at winterport dragway.this thing shook the ground while it was running :O

Comment

no crowerglide there
                              looks like a great track

Comment

Working...
                              X