Rent a shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent a shop?

Does anyone rent a garage or shop? What size how much is your rent? Is it from an individual or commercial storage company.?
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Re: Rent a shop?

I too am interested....When I move again I plan to rent a shop.....Help us out.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Like women, the good ones are either taken or too expensive
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

saw a body shop for 9k a month

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          saw a body shop for 9k a month
          Thanks but that is way out of my budget
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

your question has too many answers - but it all depends on where you want that shop to be.... I have a friend who bought an entire city block in a very small town for less then 100k..... of course, you'd have to live in said small town and for that you'd need far more then 100k ;D

seriously though, contact a commercial real estate agency/agent... also check craigslist... last, there's companies across the US that operate the equivalent of a shop condo... you buy the space, can work in it, but it's for the hobbiest so you don't end up with the problems store front shops have (theft, vandals, etc).

also, do check on the price of insurance. the last shop I rented (before I built mine), it cost almost as much for insurance as it did for rent.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

20 years ago I rented a 1200 ft bay in a small industrial building, right next to a parts store, for $420/mo

Not sure what they're going for now.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

go to garage journal , some of these guys have bigger shops than most of dealers I have worked in

ken squire called it gararge

Comment

Not sure in your area, Russell, but when I was in Clearwater, FL I saw a block of industrial buildings advertising as "Rent-a-Workshop". This was off Hercules Ave. It might be worth tracking these folks down to see if they have properties near you. I you're interested I can have my bro grab the phone number (it's his shift right now). Just a thought.

Dan

Comment

This is extremely location specific.

I dare say in SE Michigan right now there is more unused industrial space than about anywhere in the country - probably cheap to get a portion of a warehouse etc around here.

The problem is most of these places are commercial and are used to dealing with businesses, not individuals.

The first thing to try might be talking with a commercial real estate agent, or - even putting an add in the paper or craigslist asking for workshop space to rent.

I know there's someone on here that rents what looks like an old dealership type building with several other guys - looks like a good set up - but I don't recall what the costs were.

Keep in mind commercial rates on power and gas are higher - and you'll need to talk to your insurance agent about renters insurance type coverage for all your tools and equipment.

I've heard of guys doing lots of work in rented hangars at small airports - but - that's probably not the cheapest way to go.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Maybe buy a house with a barn...that's what I did.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The shop I had rented out of for the past 6 years cost me $150 a month, I rented one parking area, I had the use of a lift and a wash bay. We put our name on a calender for the lift. There were about 6 drag racers and others, it. We screened the incoming people, all previous friends. We had a lot of trust for each other, I only locked my tool box.
                        Living the dream!

Comment

Leasing shops around LA, well, in LA city proper areas, cost around a $1.00 a sq ft the last time I looked. I know of couple guys that rent out a shop for personal use.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

When I moved back down here I checked out the same garage space that I had rented back in the early 90's for $155 a month, now it's $300. I have a garage here at our appartment, it's kind of small but I'll make it work.
                            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
                              When I moved back down here I checked out the same garage space that I had rented back in the early 90's for $155 a month, now it's $300. I have a garage here at our appartment, it's kind of small but I'll make it work.
                              I have a couple buddies that rent garages from people for only parking/storing cars and stuff. Neither are allowed to work on the cars there. I think Gregg was spending around $200 for one of his garages. He can now park all but one of his eight cars at his new house. Or new to him, really old house.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X