Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever seen a 0.015 shim head gasket for 460 Ford?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever seen a 0.015 shim head gasket for 460 Ford?

Just curious if anyone knows.....
    I've heard rumors that there is a 0.015 steel shim head gasket for an obscure 460 Ford application.
    I have tried hard to find it and haven't been successful, yet.
    Other than the 0.027 thick cometic head gaskets that require a specific surface finish,(plus they are $100 each) most gaskets are 0.039-0.041 thick compressed.
    I neglected to deck my block and my pistons are 0.028 in the hole. I would like to tighten up my quench without pulling apart the whole short block to deck it.
    SBC, BBC and Mopar guys use thin gaskets so I thought if I could find one for a 460, it would be worth a shot. I would also add ported heads at the same time.

Total shot in the dark, but if you don't ask, you'll definitely never get an answer.

Re: Anyone ever seen a 0.015 shim head gasket for 460 Ford?

Just poke some sce copper gaskets in it with some good sealer.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

..did you try detroit gasket? victor?mccord?mr gasket?
      "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz
        Just curious if anyone knows.....
        I've heard rumors that there is a 0.015 steel shim head gasket for an obscure 460 Ford application.
        I have tried hard to find it and haven't been successful, yet.
        Other than the 0.027 thick cometic head gaskets that require a specific surface finish,(plus they are $100 each) most gaskets are 0.039-0.041 thick compressed.
        I neglected to deck my block and my pistons are 0.028 in the hole. I would like to tighten up my quench without pulling apart the whole short block to deck it.
        SBC, BBC and Mopar guys use thin gaskets so I thought if I could find one for a 460, it would be worth a shot. I would also add ported heads at the same time.

Total shot in the dark, but if you don't ask, you'll definitely never get an answer.
        didn't someone say the marine 4cyl used a shim and is half a 460

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
          Just poke some sce copper gaskets in it with some good sealer.
          I wondered about that....but they say in the ad that the block has to be O-ringed?
          These would work perfectly.

Originally posted by SCE Gaskets
          *These gaskets require O-rings in the block or head*...
          The thinnest selfsealing gaskets are 0.032 thick..... Not that much better than the 0.039 thick fel-pro's.

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
          didn't someone say the marine 4cyl used a shim and is half a 460
          Yeah, that was me and I was making an assumption..... I was wrong. The Mercruiser gasket is 0.053 thick.

Comment

call felpro or cosmetic
            and ask if they can punch out a steelshim

Comment

you can make any gasket you want then ring it here:

Gasket Works, Makers of Custom Solid Copper Head Gaskets.

I ask myself the question at a set interval as well. ???

the 460 looks quite solid decked.. I wonder how thin one could go?

anyway, searching through the list to see if my own little project needed a "CAD fee"
              I found it professionally written as
              SUBRURU EA82
              hehehe. I can't even say it.

anyway the 460 is listed as can do... and they go to .22

you could make your own gasket, buy some compression rings.

in my own little engine, the block is so small, i can go to a craft store and buy two 12 inch copper squares for next to nil...add rings after making the gaskets.

I could guess that is the cheapest route for any engine.. buy copper, make the gaskets, add rings.. whatever thickness.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Why do you want such a thin head gasket, you like leaks??

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                  Hmmmm..... Did you read the first post, at all?

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz
                    Hmmmm..... Did you read the first post, at all?
                    Sorry man, drove 400+ miles today, feeling a little tired. ;)

And I did, but skimmed over the part that said you wanted to increase Quench. ;)

I've done some searching and that Cometic seems like the thinnest your going to get. Which is really ok, since it will give you a .055 quench, which puts you under the .060 quench limit.

Also SCE Gaskets makes a copper gasket that is .032, which would put you right at the .060 quench limit.

Comment

And I'll add this.

Steel (shim) gaskets

Steel shim gaskets come in a variety of thicknesses as the name implies and range from .010 up to .080. Originally, the gaskets were of flat steel sheeting and went on to have an embossed surface. The embossing was strategically placed on the gasket surface around cylinder holes, water inlets, and outer surfaces. The embossing provided extra metal to fill in voids over the sealing surface when torqued into place. Shim gaskets could raise or lower compression in an engine without machining. They were the front runners of the now used fiber and non-ferrous metal gaskets. The term, "blowing a gasket" was common for top racers because they were using a very thin 10 or 20 thousandths shim gasket to raise compression, because of its thinness, the gasket would blow between two inner cylinders. They could stay in the race only as long as the gasket didn't disintegrate and expose the coolant passages to the combustion chamber. Engine builders of the day were often seen applying a couple coats of aluminum paint to both sides of a set of head gaskets to make them stick in place and seal the mating surfaces. The aluminum particles in the paint would fill in the voids in surfaces of the sand cast heads and block.

Like I said why do you want leaks?? ;)

Comment

I shouldn't comment....
                        But....I've siliconed heads to blocks, 5000ft Da, using Nitro.
                        I sound like Boxer 3 main....it always burns on the inside. gotta make it up some where.
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

And I'll add this.
                          Steel (shim) gaskets

Like I said why do you want leaks?? ;)
                          Yeah I agree.... Leaks are a major concern! But on the other hand, production SBC/BBC and Mopars came with .015 shim gaskets without issues?

I messed up on two things when I put this motor together..... I left the exhaust ports almost stock and the compression is 8.75:1 which is too low for even the small 218/226 cam I used.
                          I want to get in the mid 9's for compression, which would be possible by milling 0.020 off the heads and dropping the head gasket thickness 0.020.
                          Plus if I go through all that trouble, the heads going on would definitely be ported.
                          I was always disappointed in how this motor ran and I think these things would fix it.

I may have to mill 0.035 off the heads, use the 0.039 fel-pros and call it good.

I guess I could always step it back on the cam duration and leave the long block as is.

Comment

Working...
                          X