The Last Burnout: A Short Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Burnout: A Short Story

It's been a long time coming, but we all knew eventually one day it would happen. Don't know exactly what year, hell even what century it would be but finally the last internal combustion engine sparked it's last Otto cycle and was switched off forever. Yeah all us gear heads banded together and put up a good fight. But in the end the laws, the cost and just the hassle of getting what was necessary to own and run a car became too much for the ordinary citizen to bear. Every once in a while the goverment would issue all the required permits to allow a museum to start and run a gasoline engine but only for a minute or two. Usually a wheezy 4 cylinder plucked out of a car long ago. It's remains sent to a government reclamation center to be melted down to make steel to build some new project in the United States of China. The people attending the demonstration would shake their heads or some were frightened by the noise it made or wrinkle their noses at the odor of it's exhaust. All said and done personal transportation was a thing of the past. Along with it a bit of what made us individuals. Now everyone got around in these shiny new "whizzing" things all crammed in together. Goofy looking bubble shaped contraptions. All government owned, all look the same. Can't tell one from the next. Funny though. If you look at the passengers you could say the same for them. Same 'ol, same 'ol.
    Then one day one of us is going to snap. You know one of US, the dudes reading BangShift and the like. Or it may be one of our sons or even someones grandson. He'll decide that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and set a plan in motion. First he'll have to obtain a liquid capable of producing the right amount of ignition to complete and sustain a 4 cycle combustion process. Hardware stores, chemical supply companies all giving suspicious looks at the character asking where he could get some. The word "terrorist" came up a couple of times. "I'll show you terror" he thought to himself. After a week of trying 7 gallons was enough for what he had in mind. Now things would progress quickly. Out to the storage barn at the back of his property. A few older folk still owned property after succesfully winning laws suits against the government from seizing it. Prying open the rusty lock. Pushing the doors wide open to let in some air and light. Pulling aside the "false front" put in place to conceal what was within. There it stood, a familiar shape in the dark. Almost like seeing an old friend. Visibly aged but still recognizable. An odor intermingled with the musty scent. A smell that brought flashbacks more powerful than any acid trip. An oily tinge of metal and machinery. Images of the industial way life used to be. Funny thing this is, a smile on his face yet a tear in his eye. He laid his hands on it's cold flanks. Put away almost 30 years ago yet seemingly ready to perform as if it were just yesterday. A power source containing just 12 volts and a quick change of lubricant and this monster will breath again. The volatile fluid funneled into the tank. "Let's see, how does this go again" he giggled. Nervously his hands grasp the wheel and the gear lever. " Neutral, clutch in, turn the key" The sound of the starter almost startled him. "It's turning!" 5 seconds, 10 seconds pump, pump, pump. It shook, it popped IT BOOMED! He laughed almost as loud! "Now I know what Dr. Frankenstien felt like" he said to himself. Clutch in, shift into first, out slowly on the clutch. Chunka-chunka-chunk, Stalled it. Damn it! Quick again. Start, catch it, rev it, rev it again higher. YEAH BABY!!! No stopping now. The noise was attracting attention. Exactly what he intended. Frightened citizens were now in the street. Some calling for government emergency services to investigate this horrendous noise, some grabbing their kids and running to the safety of their homes. Getting LOUDER, coming CLOSER. Now out in the open this mechanical dinosar revealing itself to all. A metallic blue animal with broad black stripes down it's back. 427 cubic inches beating within ready to unleash the power of over 500 horses. All under his control. Now cut off by the government "Eco-police" A voice came over the loudspeaker "Turn off the engine and step away from the vehicle." " You are in violation of the Global Pollution laws". A few quick rev's to 4 or 5 thousand rpm's shout "#### YOU!" back. The exhaust emitting the toxic gasses outlawed long ago. One last look around to confirm the fact that this world really sucks now. Clutch in.....shifter in first.........right foot to the floor.......left foot out................................

Re: The Last Burnout: A Short Story

Thanks to all who took the time to read my story. Every once in a while a good one pops into my mind and I post it here. If any one would like to "critique" be my guest. Good or bad, it's OK I can take it. Thanks again

Comment

May I say that was awesome
      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

the story, it is as extreme as a 427.

I read it via the title "the last burnout".

I have a last burnout story..
        I'll just ponder nearly 3 bucks a gallon again, and not tell it.
        not even 20mpg is worth it.

the scale of large is missing. one gear going a long distance.. or the conept of power leaving thoughts in qurter miles and half miles and even miles thinking of the other end of the power curve being ridden.

a tractor trailer can replicate it... much slower. becuase it is maturely carrying 40 tons instead of 3400 pounds.

gas won't end. a chemical makes it, we break it.. someone will put it back together.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

One suggestion: Paragraphs separated by a space so it isnt a wall of text.

It seems that its not a very positive outlook, as if gasoline is the only thing an engine will run on. Of course its what we are all used to, and yes the smell of race gas is still an aphrodisiac for most males, but it isnt the only thing. There are people out there who believe the ICE should be outlawed, but then again there are people who believe the Earth is flat and rest at the center of the universe. It doesnt mean they will ever get their way and force the rest of us to live within the realm of their thinking, does it?

If they do manage to outlaw gasoline I will not be upset, mainly because I have alternate methods of fueling a vehicle. I have been interested in alternate fuels for a while now because I own quite a few 455ci engines and I like to race. Ive never had a large budget for racing and fuel was almost always the largest expense. When gasoline got over $4 here, it motivated me to put the project in high gear, and now I can produce my own fuel with very little cost or energy input compared to how much I get out of it.

So you can lament the passing of gasoline, and wish you could still get carbon buildup on your valves, pistons,and contaminating your lubrication oil, and creating a huge amount of waste heat that you need to disperse, if you want. However you can find another way to feel the thunder of 500hp under your foot, thrusting you forward and scaring the bejezus out of any passenger foolish enough to ride with you and not even have to bother with gasoline and its crappy octane and carbon deposits.

Up to you really.

Honestly though.. Paragraphs.... think it over about hitting enter twice once in a while..

Comment

Thank you for sharing ;D

Comment

Good story...

I hate to think of that day. I wonder how many of us would end up in a blaze of tire smoke?
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

You connected a bunch of words and thoughts a lot of us have had before. Thanks.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I read it, enjoyed it...would be a cool short cartoon

I agree about the paragraphs...break it up a hair
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thankfully there is SEMA so there wont be a last burnout,now if the car co.'s would grow some balls and
                    tell it like it really is there really wont be.

Comment

cool story!

my eyes hurt....... ;)
                      "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

I should add, its an interesting story. I like the idea of giving a finger to the gov that is trying to impose its will on us, the freedom to do what we wish, and the choice to burn whatever fuel we want. They will never get me to relinquish my Pontiacs until the day I become room temperature. After that they can fight with my kids about them.

Remember back 25 years ago when EFI came about and everyone said it was the death of performance cars? Or when emissions controls were said to be the death knell of hot rods? Never underestimate the creative thinking power of a man who wants to go fast, even if it is in an esoteric or eclectic in design..

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                          I should add, its an interesting story. I like the idea of giving a finger to the gov that is trying to impose its will on us, the freedom to do what we wish, and the choice to burn whatever fuel we want. They will never get me to relinquish my Pontiacs until the day I become room temperature. After that they can fight with my kids about them.

Remember back 25 years ago when EFI came about and everyone said it was the death of performance cars? Or when emissions controls were said to be the death knell of hot rods? Never underestimate the creative thinking power of a man who wants to go fast, even if it is in an esoteric or eclectic in design..
                          I right with you !
                          Couldnt have said it better, I like giving them the finger too !

Comment

even if it is in an esoteric or eclectic in design..
                            We currently exist in the only era where stuff doesn't necessarily HAVE to be esoteric or eclectic in design to be fast!

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              even if it is in an esoteric or eclectic in design..
                              We currently exist in the only era where stuff doesn't necessarily HAVE to be esoteric or eclectic in design to be fast!

I know, but it can be! You can run fast with a Pontiac, or an Olds, you can do about anything since the aftermarket has finally caught up with the non orange engines. Factory performance is also a great place to start, superchargers, LSx engines, Modular Fords... Its a great time to be in this hobby, you can make power with almost anything. There is no reason we have to only run gasoline, there are lots of ways to make power... It doesnt even have to be a V8 anymore.

The next ten to fifteen years will be huge despite the government, and despite rising gasoline prices. More efficient means more power, they go hand in hand. You dont have to run a tiny engine really lean to be miserly on fuel, and actually if you make a surplus of torque in the cruise RPM range it will have plenty of power and sip the fuel, because it wont have to work very hard to move the car.

Embrace the future, find out how to do things in various ways it will make things much more fun and enjoyable, plus it just might be less expensive in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                              X