The right steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right steering wheel

I've had a few in the 55 over the years, but I think I have the right one now. Old Superior 500, has a melted place on the plastic, and a bit of rust (most of it buffed out). And the old chrome bezel and horn button, I think they outlawed them? the ones in the new installation kit are flat black.

Little details like this take so long to figure out.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Re: The right steering wheel

Please talk to Monk about getting a better tach, or more appropriate one for the theme.

I still like that era of steering wheels. What other wheels have you had?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Started with the 64 truck deluxe wheel (same as used in 58-60 mid range cars), then had a modern grant wheel, the put the other one back in. Then I put in a recent knockoff of the old Superior, but it felt too new. I like this one best.

I did a bit of research on the Monster tach, they started making them in 1977. I think mine is from the early-mid 80s, it looked old when I got it for $15 at a swap meet around 1995.

But I do have a bitchin Jones Motrola tach with the early Moroso log on it! Cable drive, so I would need to get that nifty old Vette electronic tach drive distributor installed and working, and find a cable, etc. Problem is the rest of the car is mostly built with 80s type stuff, not 60s type stuff.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I like these ones... 8)

Comment

I had that one in my 39 chevy a long time ago

My fabulous web page

Comment

something like this would get my vote

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I've had a few in the 55 over the years, but I think I have the right one now. Old Superior 500, has a melted place on the plastic, and a bit of rust (most of it buffed out). And the old chrome bezel and horn button, I think they outlawed them? the ones in the new installation kit are flat black.

Little details like this take so long to figure out.

looks like the Hurst one I had in my 57 but the hurst only had 2 holes per spoke I dig it

Comment

Jim
                To me - what you have in there now is THE hot rod steering wheel, period.

I have a couple still in boxes I picked up when the store I worked in was closing them out - they have the foam rim, which is probably decomposing by now.

I don't remember what the 2 lane black top / American Grafiti 55 had in it - or if you care - but if it was me - I'd stick with the one you have pictured.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Here's a bunch to pick from - pricey devils for refurbs though.

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Jim, that is perfect ! only thing that would even be close is a 59 impala wheel.

I dont have any issue with that tach, even a old sun sper would be OK.
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                    X