Electric Locks and Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Locks and Stuff

I typed here yesterday about Bubba the Truck having rubber floors and crank-down windows, etc. Yeah, there's a lot to be said in favor of that setup, I guess. Unit picked out that truck for us while I was working on the road. They were giving trucks away that day, and when I got home I was tickled to death with it. It's got wheels on it and we can throw stuff in the back. Sold.

Here I go to ask you smart car guys something you already know. I'm telling you and showing you what I DON'T know.

Our other ride (Unit's ride) is an 06 Fusion. Key fob, you can unlock the trunk and doors, etc, and set off the horn-beeping panic alarm if you do anything contortional with the keys in your pocket.

One day a couple weeks ago, the Fusion's battery died overnight. It was time. It didn't get weak and go down slow, it died completely overnight.

Unit got in it in the morning to go downtown, and it was as dead as a Food Lion mackeral. Dead. Fine yesterday, dead now.

The car was in the garage. Bubba's and Sassy's (that's the name of the Fusion) batteries were on opposite sides of the engine compartment, so no jumper cables would reach. Before I determined that, I went to open Sassy's trunk to get the cables out - the key wouldn't open the trunk. That's an electric switch. No opening the trunk.

To shorten the story, I was able to pop the hood and change the battery out right there in the garage, BUT, what if we'd had the doors locked and the windows rolled up when the battery suddenly died? I couldn't get into the car to pop the hood.

How screwed would we have been? What's a work-around for that- the battery's dead and everything (including all the locks) is electric?

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Electric Locks and Stuff

Just walked out to the 2007 Fusion we have in the company fleet.

I used the ignition key to open the trunk.

I think your trunk lock is bad.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Unhook the battery and try that....when the battery was dead, I tried the door locks with the key just for curiosity's sake - nope.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496
        Brick. thru the window. mmmmmmmmmm....satisfying!
        That's what I thought my way to (in the event it came to that, ever). Would be much more fun if it was somebody else's car.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
          Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Unhook the battery and try that....when the battery was dead, I tried the door locks with the key just for curiosity's sake - nope.
          I placed the key in the lock....power or no power that will work.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Gremlins at Weeville. Not the first time.

Comment

AAA
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
              X