A tale of luck..or not...and good service...or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tale of luck..or not...and good service...or not

Yesterday the truck started making this weird noise...sounded like brakes squealing..but didn't at the same time. So I figured I would check it out... I got work a few hours early so I went to grab some pads. I like OE pads because they last forever and don't create a ton of dust and the price is less than the "Gold" class pads at the local parts store.
    I get the truck to the shop, get the brakes off and get everything cleaned up and what to my wondering eyes did appear...but the wrong god damn pads in a freaking box. So I call the guy back and he is super peeved that he screwed up and says he will get me pads within the hour, he hunts down a set of OE pads and delivers them to the shop for me. A PITA but a good cover, great service? you be the judge.

And so the saga continues. I install the pads on the passenger side. Then I check things out, I see a few things that need additional attention but can live a few more days. I put the tire on, torque down the lug nuts but something feels amiss...what is it...the tire is moving and not in a good way. WTF I says to myself. WTF indeed, the 3 year old ball joints took a major dump. I mean, not just a little worn, these things were full blow, ready to fall off the mutherfarking truck worn. As luck would have it one of my Airmen was working on his microbus about the same time and having a hard time because he has a cast on his right arm. I devise a plan and cunningly offered a trade, one service for another. I changed his clutch cable and when we finished he ran me to the CarQuest down the road. Once I had all the parts in hand the reassembly went back together in just a few minutes. Whats odd is that these joints were so bad that I should have noticed. I only drive the truck 10 miles a day, could that be it...or could it be that I am so freakin' oblivious to everything round me that the symptoms were showing themselves for months and I didn't see it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I dodged a bullet..because I pulled apart the upper joint with my bare hands...

Good times, thanks for reading.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: A tale of luck..or not...and good service...or not

i say outstanding service, it isnt the counter guy who boxes the parts, but he went above and beyond to fix it....

edit: at least the guy fixed his mistake i guess :-\
    Charles

Comment

It was his fault, he gave me the wrong part, the part #'s were wrong on the box when he checked again. The guy is slow as all hell when he waits on you, he has a hard time with the parts break downs..but he is super helpful...I will do business with them again for sure.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

So brake pads last 10 years, ball joints last 3 years? neat.

Janet had to take the prowler in not long after she got it for the ball joint recall. I guess you must have got factory spec ball joints (little mopar joke)
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The pads have been on since 2004, and in late 06 or early 07 I rebuilt the front end...everything was bad, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, u joints....I replaced with either OE or Moog parts....the OE parts are doing well....but that pass side upper ball joint was something else...weird. there was big issue with the drag links in these trucks...but to eat this many ball joints...kinda odd.

Comment

that was good luck and service...
            and by service the guy with a cast was lucky to be kept working (I have got a horrifying air national guard story)

those pads, I get them from the net. I got one pair so bad, it took maybe a coule of days in the city to have chinks gone, and it broke the springs and things in a hardware kit...
            that was more than horrible. I am lucky the wheel cylinder did not pop.

the balljoints just need a tight angle... new brakes reveal them? quite possible. That is how I find bad bearings more oft then not: after changing the brakes.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

they last longer if you grease them..
              you all summer talk of dust storms... you need to grease them more than normal.

Comment

I think thats about par with the parts stores around here ... still a pain when you have to wait ...

I've found that the Dodges need balljoints (especially lowers) every 60-75k. IIRC, there was even a recall on the dakota/durango frontends a while back. The other thing that likes to go south all of a sudden is the wheel bearings .... make sure and give them a good once over.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                  I think thats about par with the parts stores around here ... still a pain when you have to wait ...

I've found that the Dodges need balljoints (especially lowers) every 60-75k. IIRC, there was even a recall on the dakota/durango frontends a while back. The other thing that likes to go south all of a sudden is the wheel bearings .... make sure and give them a good once over.
                  Yup, the right fron bearing needs replaced.
                  The right fron seized on me a number of years ago..prompting the front end rebuild I did. That bearing casued a lot of damage and I had a small accident becasue of it.
                  The down side is they are not inexpensive

they last longer if you grease them..
                  you all summer talk of dust storms... you need to grease them more than normal
                  It didnt fail from lack of lube...it was well lubed belive me.

Comment

wish I had that kind of service from the auto parts stores in my area....

you are very fortunate that you found the issue on a jack rather then on the road...
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                      wish I had that kind of service from the auto parts stores in my area....

you are very fortunate that you found the issue on a jack rather then on the road...

You're right, better on the jack than later with the kids in the truck

What really surprises me is that this was a Dodge dealership that brought me the parts...not a NAPA or CarQuest who always deliver to the shop if you order thru the shop...autozone or checker would NEVER do such a thing...

Comment

autozone and checker have delivery trucks, they'll deliver to shops. Have you tried asking?
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          autozone and checker have delivery trucks, they'll deliver to shops. Have you tried asking?
                          Yeah I tried them, they told me only store to store or to a business, guess the hobby shop wasn't a business enough for them. Napa has deliver for me there in the past but only if the shop orders it for me.

I need to find a decent jack, it is getting expensive using the hobby shop...27 bucks for 5 hours...

Comment

If someone at a normal shop runs a jack (and does the work) that's $400

Still, the craft shop is not the bargain it used to be.

My fabulous web page

Comment

aftermarket stuff is pretty bad these days
                              I don't see replacement ball joints lasting very long
                              all china dolls

Comment

Working...
                              X