Solvent Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solvent Effect

I'm not so sure. Farmers will grow whatever makes them money. Here in Cali, more and more are growing grapes for wine because the return is good. Ten years ago the only wine grapes being grown were around Lodi, NAS Backyards neighborhood. Now, its all the way down to literally the Grapevine. And, grapes have to grow seven years before you get a crop from them. Farmers will see the increase of corn per buschel and stop growing other crops, and grow corn instead.

Also, the Government used to subsidize farmers by paying them not to grow anything on some of their land to keep grain prices high enough they could make a profit. I see the increase of corn based ethanol as win, win for everyone, especially the family owned farms.

Anyone know why we arent using sugar cane instead of corn for ethanol like the Brazillians do? Its been proven that cane has for more energy per molecule than corn does in making ethanol.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sugar prices are propped up in the USA

Comment

what states in the USA have the right climate conditions for sugar cane?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the south

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            what states in the USA have the right climate conditions for sugar cane?
            Louisiana, Florida, Texas, and Hawaii.

Brazil is the world's top producer of sugar, though. We are at the bottom. Brazil produces 648,921,280 tons of sugar cane while we produce 27,603,000 tons the stuff.

Comment

interesting.

They do grow sugar beats here in Michigan - I have no idea how they compare with sugar cane, but big chief and monitor sugar up in the middle of the state (bay city, midland area) are pretty big producers on a local scale using beats.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Anyone know why we arent using sugar cane instead of corn for ethanol like the Brazillians do? Its been proven that cane has for more energy per molecule than corn does in making ethanol.
                YOU BURN THE field the harvest..
                I can see the greenies going ape over that

Comment

you do have to fuel 600 million vehicles , just in the USA
                  2 vehicles registered for every man woman and child in the USA

Comment

Working...
                  X