My New Toy, got a great deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Toy, got a great deal

Was browsing Craigslist last week and seen this, so just to amuse myself (cause I really don't need another car) I called. Long story short, The guy selling it knew nothing about cars, the only reason he had this car is because a buddy of his went to jail and needed get rid of it. He says to me "the car needs a trans", "$500 I don't wanna look at it any more"....umm OK! Sold!

Details:

78 Pontiac LeMans Safari wagon

Factory 305 w/air

Pontiac Rallyes

no rot in the car anywhere, maybe a quarter sized spot of rust on the door

Interior needs cleaned something bad, had a water leak inside the car, guy didn't know where it was coming from, so he smeared hot glue in all of the roof rack screw holes and around the windshield, luckily it peels right off.
    Turns out the water leak is coming from the around the heater box, drains are clogged, normal for these cars. simple fix.

It was well taken care of, the body is beautiful, I'm a happy camper! ;D

sigpic

Re: My New Toy, got a great deal

Nice Score.

Comment

I've been looking for a clean one for years,
      nice

Comment

check the frame

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          check the frame
          Frames good spidey, I'm tellin ya its nice top to bottom, shocked the heck outta me.
          sigpic

Comment

My first car was a canadian built '79 grand le mans. Got it in 1994 when i was 14. Already had a 350 in it. Factory buckets and console. I bought a trashed 78 trans am for $500. was gonna put the poncho engine in it. Also found a four door '79 grand am in the junkyard with a mint nose. I was going to make a '79 gto that never was. But the plan never came together.

Good luck with the wagon. I love it!

Comment

Comment

I check the reading craiglist everyday. I seen that and thought it looked good glad it went to a nice home.

Comment

forgot to ask..

How is the Tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by 72Chevelle
                    forgot to ask..

How is the Tranny?
                    Guys wife drove it for a month, no one ever checked the fluid. so now it only has reverse, not a problem tho as I have a TH350 and a 700 in the shed waiting to be used, probably going to put the TH350 in for now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks like a rare car, don't see them around here any more. Neat paint...very distinctive.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

you my friend SUCK !

nice score btw
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                          you my friend SUCK !

nice score btw
                          Thanks, This is THE best deal I have ever had buying a car, I know I stepped in "it" when I seen the car in person. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come but I doubt it
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                            Looks like a rare car, don't see them around here any more. Neat paint...very distinctive.

The odd thing about the car to me is it has a 305, I've researched the car a little bit so far, and the Wikipeida (I know not the best source of info) entry for the LeMans says this........

In 1978, the LeMans and other GM mid-sized cars were considerably downsized and lost some 600-800 lb in the process, as part of GM's corporate downsizing program following the aftermath of the Arab Oil Embargo induced energy crisis of 1973 - 1974. Pontiac's engines were also downsized, with the standard engine being the Buick 3.8L 231ci V6, Pontiac 265ci V8, or optional Pontiac 4.9L 301ci V8 for 1978, (a Chevy 305ci V8 in California).

I could very well have a Cali car that was sitting in a corn field in PA. I'll have to check the VIN , maybe a door tag.
                            sigpic

Comment

The underhood sticker (on the radiator retaining cover) should tell you.

Or wiki could be wrong, you know.

My old chiltons lists the 305 as U (2bbl) or H (4bbl) (letter in the VIN) for the 1978 Pontiac cars, but it doesn't specify which model got which engine.

Around then GM was putting any engine in every car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X