Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who don't know why I chose my profession

Here's an example
    Friday, I take paperwork down to change the title to my Spider. I have everything I need (or so I think). I go to the registration counter, everything in order - Bill of Sale, Lost title/change of ownership paperwork (notorized), yellow paper stating I bought car for $500.00 from PO. Get to the counter... everything is okay, except they can't find the valuation on the car. Valuation, you say? In Washington a Bill of Sale is only evidence of the value of the car - for example, I paid $1200 for my Buick, but had to pay tax on $3000 - because that's what their little book says it's worth. Problem - they little book doesn't even have Fiats in it. They call Dept. of Revenue (these are independant title companies), Dept. of Revenue says "it's worth 7750". what the hell?!!! I'm a bit lit, after all, I have to swear that the value of the car is the 7750 otherwise they won't change the title. That means that I have to pay more in taxes then I paid for the car..... I get an extension (must register in 2 weeks or fine) so that I can talk to DOR.

I call DOR and I'm a bit irritated - although relatively civil. I ask them how they come up with the valuation - the jerk on the other end of the phone figures it's screw with Aaron Friday and doesn't answer the question - I'm not happy, but eventually here's what I learn.

In WA they use NADA values to set the amount of taxes. They cannot use a bill of sale - if you wish to dispute their value you must take your car down to a licensed mechanic and/or bodyman and get a detailed list of the things that are wrong with the car and the resulting costs of repairs. For those of you reading quickly, I bet you're thinking "So what if those costs are more then the "value" of the car?" Then you pay no tax is the answer. Of course, to do all of this requires either hauling your car to the various "experts" or getting one of your "expert" friends to fill out a list on his company's letterhead....

Or, simply get a note from a parent saying the car was a gift from them.

So on Monday, there will one new mechanic/bodyshop LLC in the State of Washington ... need a clever name.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: For those who don't know why I chose my profession

we don't have stupid excise taxes around here , freakin revenue hungry commies
    at least not yet

Comment

I've always wondered why they require sales tax over and over on the sale of a car. The last used TV I bought didn't require any tax .....
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Another reason I'll be so glad to be rid of this state...
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Some states can get away with sales tax on used cars. Not here...they tried it about 25 years ago, voters got very pissed off and got rid of it.

But they did change the way that registration transfers work. Used to be you left the plate on the car when you sold it, and the new owner got to wait until the registration was due to have to renew it. Now you keep the plate, and the new owner has to pay the registration (property tax) on the car right away. And your old plate is supposed to be transferable to another car you buy, but I've never figured out how to do that, so the tax that was paid and not fully used is "lost", the state gets it.

You could open the northeast office of Aardvark Automotive. I have the Arizona franchise.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Also in AZ they go off the original sale price of the car for the Registration fee, then every year the original sale price is reduced by a certain percentage and your registration fee is based on that. And Jim's right about keeping your Plate, I have one that has been on 3 different cars now. ;)

Comment

I bought a rolled car once for the frame and a few other items..
              and went to title the car and pay the sales tax..
              they said the car was worth 55k
              um no..

Comment

back when I was a pup in Pennsylvania we paid tax on the sale price of the vehicle...I never, ever paid more than 100 bucks for any car...even if I paid 1000 for it.. ;D
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

michigan goes by the vehicles weight for any thing older then 15 years

becuase of this i only payed taxs for $500 on the GA :D (they tryed arguing about it untill i showed them a picture i took with the engine torn down)

but for the camaro i had to pay taxs for $3,089 the listed curb wieght of a '84 z28 with T-tops :P

Comment

what is your legal expertise , buickguy ?
                    a really good friend of mine was a very high powered defense attorney with offices in NY,NJ and Ct
                    had the biggest gun collection I ever saw

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                      back when I was a pup in Pennsylvania we paid tax on the sale price of the vehicle...I never, ever paid more than 100 bucks for any car...even if I paid 1000 for it.. ;D
                      Ha, same here. And in Pa you can keep your plate if you put it on another car. If you don't have another car to put it on you have to send it back.

BuickGuy, just use your town, or one close to you, or your initials (or someone else's) and put Auto Repair after it. I see a lot of garages around me that are either last names, or in the case of same last names, they use initials. Gun shops are like that too.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                        michigan goes by the vehicles weight for any thing older then 15 years

becuase of this i only payed taxs for $500 on the GA :D (they tryed arguing about it untill i showed them a picture i took with the engine torn down)

but for the camaro i had to pay taxs for $3,089 the listed curb wieght of a '84 z28 with T-tops :P
                        that is clever.
                        drive old j-tin and play 35 cents in taxes. ;D
                        may be even less. :

my state is the butts ass. I have been paying original base price for a 23 year old car...

by the time the lying nada book catches up.. if it ever does...I should have saved quite a sum.

we get a new non-mafia (j/k...)governor this year. I wonder what happens next.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

maine used to drop ship plates to anybody
                          used to be tons of maine plates around here

Comment

LOTS of trailer wear maine plates in this part of the world.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'm running my trailer on MI Permanent plates. If I ever get stopped I'll play ignorant - "I thought "permanent" meant forever".

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X