Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"416" 305 heads on a 307 Chevy, anyone do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "416" 305 heads on a 307 Chevy, anyone do it?

I finished my friends '71 Chevy C20 farm truck enough for now! But I'm planning for next year!

Currently it has an edelbrock 600 carb/performer intake, recurved HEI and small 206/212 comp cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-230-2/ on the factory 307 motor. It is better than it was stock (2bbl motor), but it is still pretty gutless.

I have read where swapping on dirt cheap casting number "416" 305 heads with 58cc chambers and 1.84in/1.50ex valves is a good way to up the compression and help these small displacement motors get more low end.

The motor is in great tight condition. Cranking compression is 120-125psi on every cylinder. Swapping the heads would be an easy weekend job. Plus I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find the heads really cheap!

Has anyone actually done this? I'd like to hear real world feeback on the results. If it is a major seat of the pants improvement, I think it would be worth the effort. But for a small increase, I doubt I would bother.

I am also curious with roughly 9.3:1 if 93 premium pump gas would be required? The truck is only used for farm work, so heavy 2500 pound loads are not that uncommon. I would assume heavy loads would increase the chance of detonation.

Just looking for anyone who has done the swap, or something similar, and what their thoughts were on the results.
    I have searched the net and found a TON of people talking about it, but no replies as to driving impressions afterwards.

Re: "416" 305 heads on a 307 Chevy, anyone do it?

I put the "hencho en mexico" 350 heads on my 307 .... I figure CR is around 8.75:1 or so and it runs fine on crap 85 w/10-15% ethanol.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

no valves hitting
      305 heads are thin casting fail

Comment

1.94/1.50 valves are about as big as you can go right spidey?
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

saw a dude notch out the tops of the cylinder for 2.02 on a 305
          the 305 in stock eliminator fly

Comment

Working...
          X