ESPN's 30 for 30 Tim Richmond to the limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN's 30 for 30 Tim Richmond to the limit

Just got done watching it. Great racing footage but what a sad story.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I found a pic of the poster. I feel bad for Neil lol

Comment

the greatest race ever
        pass in the grass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4y7MJfeIs

Comment

That was a good show. It's got to be hard to stare directly at your own mortality when you should be a long way from it.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            the greatest race ever
            pass in the grass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4y7MJfeIs
            I don't know about calling that a pass in the grass, but they need to bring the Winston back!
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

that is the connotation for some ballsy assed driving

the famous hendrick vs porsche 962 in road and track
              "Edwards and I had a brief discussion about how great a driver Tim Richmond was and how he would have changed the sport if he had lived. Edwards worked with Richmond for several years when the driver was with Hendrick.

Frank gave the following example to prove his points about aerodynamic downforce and how good Richmond was as a driver. Richmond and the late Al Hobert were testing some Porsches one time and Richmond was blowing Hobert away because Richmond's car had a lot less downforce than Hobert's. Hobert took away downforce on his car and gained from 212 mph to 228 mph to catch up with Richmond in speed. Richmond then went back out and ran 240 mph. The test was over. "

the 25 car was fresh from 500 miles at talladega

"It was back in the mid 80's at a test center (either TRC Ohio or Arizona I believe), the track was a high banked oval about 7 miles around. The track was designed for auto makers to make extended high speed test runs. The stock car was the Hendrick Folgers Monte Carlo driven by Tim Richmond, and his opponent was a Porsche 962 LeMans prototype driven by Al Holbert. Richmond's car ended up with a run at just over 240mph, Holbert topped out at about 225mph. To get to 240 the Harry Hyde and the Hendrick boys did bend some NASCAR regs like rivet plates over the headlight buckets and drop the ride height and taped up the side windows. Remember this was before restrictor plates and some of the other changes NASCAR made to reduce horsepower. The test was published by Motor Trend and written by Ron Grable.

There has also been several unofficial tests by Ford and Goodyear, with Bill Elliot and Rusty Wallace clocking in at speeds above 230 mph at Talladega.
              Reply With Quote"

Comment

Working...
              X