Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The race I could've done without and other fun stuff...with pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The race I could've done without and other fun stuff...with pics!

Ever have a moment...where you wonder if your kind-hearted nature buried you right up to your ass in bad ideas? I did. This is the story of my past 36 hours and why I am seriously glad this year's autocross season has ended.

This story begins Saturday night with the normal Subaru meet. The rains in WA have commenced, no big surprise. However, after everyone shows up, we're gonna do a midnight cruise to Dick's in Seattle. (Dick's being a small hamburger stand on Broadway, the one Sir Mix-a-Lot sang about in Posse on Broadway). I'm down for any reason to cruise, so I'm in. We leave the coffeeshop at 9pm and head north.

About the time we pass the Tacoma Dome two things become apparent: 1. The rains are increasing steadily and surely. 2. We are doing, at best, 55mph. I can't help the rains, and since I'm the tail of this convoy of about seven cars I have no idea why we're so slow. Meh, whatever. We get to Dick's with minimal problems and settle in for dinner.

Except one. Someone forgot to inform me that Dick's is a cash-only place. I have $1. Not enough. I get a loan and get dinner. Not bad at all. Not sure it was worth the drive, but that's just me.

Alan wants to do something in Seattle. Since I have to be up at 5am for the autocross, I decline, as well as Noah. We both decide that the convoy speed back will be significantly more than 55mph.Since Noah has GPS and I do not feel like being lost in Seattle, I tail him out to I-5, and within seconds of hitting the Interstate it becomes a race. This was the stupidest idea I've had in ages...I was hydroplaning most of the way home. We were usually anywhere between 65-90mph depending on traffic and conditions. I know there was a few times I was floating, and one time, near Boeing Field, where the Monte threatened to swap ends on me.

Get home, CRASH. I'm dog-tired.

5am. I'm up. Fuel the car, get some money, meet at Krispy Kreme and convoy out to Bremerton. We're the first people there...we set up the registration tents, prep the cars for tech and wait for everyone to show.

And THAT's when the destruction began.

This photo was supposed to be of the elusive S_G. Instead, note the weather HERE...

and HERE.

It F'd our day up bad. I never did get a measurement on the gusts...I do know it totalled the registration tent, the Lions Club of Port Orchard's tent, moved 80% of the course cones, and moved a Port-a-John about 90 yds away from it's original intended location and slammed it into a F-150.

And we kept on racing. And by "we", since it was the Ladies' Auto-X today, that translated into anything with an XY chromosome pair working the course, standing in the 40-something degree rain for four hours while the ladies had a go at the course. I lost feeling from the waist down, both due to cold and nerve damage. I had layered (T-shirt, hoodie, Army Trench Coat) and it didn't do shit...and I was better off than some. Alan's brother had to leave the course and go warm himself in my car.

At lunch we got our shot at our free runs. I could've cared less, I had seat-heaters and a warm engine...I was set. But I came out here with the promise of practice laps and I'll be damned if I don't get to do them. Michelle, one of the track chairmen, would work the starter position for us, her "contribution" to the day. Let's set one thing straight: Michelle is not my cup of tea. Put bluntly, she's a smug princess who overdrives the hell out of what she's in. Earlier today, she put someone else's BMW 135 into the scotch broom...a good 35 yards off course. So when I hit the starting line, I couldn't help myself...trac off, floor it, spray the starter. I launched hard enough that I was spinning through 3rd gear. I got three runs in before her pissed off husband waived me off and told me to park it.

After the guys runs, the male members of PIA decided that there was no way, no f'ing how that we were going back out. And the ladies sympathized with us...so off to a post-race habit, Carl's Jr. in Tacoma. We left Bremerton with clearer skies and mild rain. We found the wicked shit as we went south...

The rain picked up dramatically as we neared the Tacoma Narrows, but that pales in comparison to what we got slammed with as we parked at Carl's Jr. The second I shut the door on the car, Mother Nature threw a temper tantrum.

At least 3/4" of rain, hail, wind gusts like this morning, and lightning (something I've only seen 3 times in WA State) hit in the matter of two minutes. I had stripped out of the soaked trench coat and hoodie and was just wearing a white t-shirt. I did have a change of clothes, and had grabbed the black shirt I had with me. Glad I did, I was the winner of the wet t-shirt contest, and I sprinted-as best as someone who can't feel their legs or feet could-to the door.

Lunch over, and home. I collapsed shortly after arriving.

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: The race I could've done without.

You could have helped me scrape and paint my house instead. ;) ;D You made a memory.I watched paint dry.Sucks to be you. LOL.

Comment

Re: The race I could've done without and other fun stuff...with pics!

"The rains have commenced..." LOL When do they ever stop?! Cool picture of the Narrows Bridge, which was used when I was in HS there (Lakes Lancers) to "bridge" the underclassmen who needed a good hazing. And the Tacoma Dome was brand new when I was there and I remember during an AC/DC concert someone lit a flare during the song This House is on Fire, and guess what, the roof started burning because of that flare. Interesting times. I loved the Seattle area!
      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
        "The rains have commenced..." LOL When do they ever stop?!
        The three picturesque days in August where it's sunny and warm. Having lived in Ft. Lewis, Parkland, and Olalla for over 13 years of my life, I can honestly say I can't get away from this state fast enough. I'll visit during the summer.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

that did not sound like fun. ???

no rain dates for the autocross?

mentioning rare weather in seattle, I get thinking of maine. I used to frequent a forum about the subarus...washington area based. If rare weather emerged there, it had an equally weird event across the country in maine. something I caught onto being a regular.

... and what is a sube hyrdroplaning in the rain for. Mechanical AWD still owns the overthinkers apparently. :
          I got an '87 that borders mythical. locks up all four in 4 lo. Reminds me I still have the "impissible to bend stub shaft" on one of the rear axles.

I was supposed to go on some ride today, mt.washington area... like last year and year before.. missed out. not that I am a fan of subarus in general. I simply have a unique one to add to the groupy crowd enthusiasm. The aviator engines is where I began and will leave off. looking forward to a v8 sipping it down... like last year, and the year before. ;D

that sucks to schedule an event for anybody and get dumped on.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It's the charm of the area...come whatever may, we'll race. I actually kind of appreciate that, it helps one understand how their car handles all of the elements. I'm big on going to a mall parking lot at the first snow and giving myself a refresher course on how to drift, slide and generally drive like a jackass handle my car in whatever situation I may find myself.

...yeah, that's it. ;D

The Subi's do really well in the rain. The nose-heavy Chevy does not like it so much. Of course, didn't help matters that my air pressures were set up from last race to allow the car to drift a bit in the water. But when you're at beyond-Interstate speeds in a torrential downpour, if you don't at least expect to hydroplane then I've no sympathy for ya when you magically end up in the jersey barriers.

Comment

I was thinking about you yesterday when they were talking about that storm on the news ... it's supposed to leave 8 to 16 inches in the mountains here.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                I was thinking about you yesterday when they were talking about that storm on the news ... it's supposed to leave 8 to 16 inches in the mountains here.
                I woke up to a light dusting on cars, grass, etc. and it trying to snow coming to work. Just a tad warm still for it to stick to the ground.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The brunt of it just blew thru here, trees bent over, 35-40 mph winds and rain.....A LOT OF RAIN!
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Yeah, it was hammering us pretty hard starting yesterday evening, same winds, when it got quiet around 3am, I figured it was snowing :P Right now we have small snow flakes lazily falling from the sky, too warm to accumulate.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It hit Colorado already?! This one moves fast...I'm amazed it held it's strength up like that...

Comment

I had to close the windows and the a/c back on here
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                        X