No announcement yet.

Parts Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with rust removal: Generally acid works better than alkaline and phosphoric acid traditionally has been used. I watched several youtube videos on the subject and tried to make sense of the typical online information mix. First i tried oxialic acid in my motorbike gas tank. It is very mild acid used typically to bleach wood and available in hardware stores. left overnight worked somewhat but not well enough IMO. Heavier rust is still present in the pores. Also it leaves green residue that makes me a little suspicious for the future. To try something stronger I tried muriatic swimming pool acid for my 1970 Maverick gas tank that most likely had never been treated before. Of course I started with hot water with dawn to cut the varnish and a piece of chain to rattle the flaky rust loose. After flushing out a pound or two of rust flakes I poured in the acid added some water- waited couple of hours and drained. IMO it worked surprisingly well. some rust spots left but generally clean and grey inside. of course it needed throughout flushing with water and drying overnight with a heat gun. After that I sprayed WD40 inside to initially protect it. That was couple of years ago and so far so good although I do replace the fuel filter every few months. Recently I tried a mix of pot ash solution mixed with citric acid solution. on some rusty bolts. Worked surprisingly well- much like the expensive por15 rust remover miracle liquid I used to set the bench mark. mixing acid with alcali made it neutral (for safety reasons) and I thought that would also cancel out the rust dissolving properties but it didnt- weird- I guess I still have a lot to learn in non organic chemistry realm ;-)
    Last edited by jacek; February 1, 2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

OK - I apologize for calling you a bot - though your first post did sound pretty bot-like. Welcome to the group and hope you enjoy.

Comment

No worries- I've been self employed for most of my adult life- my skin got pretty resilient over the years...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jacek View Post
          No worries- I've been self employed for most of my adult life- my skin got pretty resilient over the years...;-)
          So what are your projects? Most of us are semi-literate so pics are a big help. If you want to run an info or build thread most of us use the "Projects" thread.

Comment

I've been waiting on a project thread since he started cleaning his oven door.

Comment

A few actually: 1968 fiat spider, 1970 ford maverick, 1973 firebird formula, 1969 honda cb350SS, 1976 Kawasaki kz750b, 1990 Kawasaki Vn1500a

Comment

I'd like to follow the Fiat, Maverick or any of the bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  Especially if he is going to put the Maverick motor in the Fiat!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Especially if he is going to put the Maverick motor in the Fiat!
                    Fix It Again Tony!
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Is the Fiat a 124? Love those! The 850s are fun.too, but tiny.

Comment

My project is not worth photo's. ,Come spring Adding jacking rails to the new Mustang And tossing the p zero summer only performance package tires. They are hockey pucks at temps of 50 * or lower, making it like driving on ice. And rain is "interesting" The tram lining(following rutts) takes some getting used too.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                          Thank you. Should I start separate threads in the project section? Pictures are a must, agreed. The Fiat is the 124 sport-1968 was the first year in the US. It looks a bit different than the later years. The Honda was low mileage (3800) refurb . I'm pretty much done with that. The Kawa will be my take on the retro cafe- I got some early 60s parts, chrome fenders, headlamps, seats, handle bars, etc. I feel I hit the fork in the road with the maverick- I fixed some small body damage and welded in new sheet metal for the bit rusty lower quarters and trunk drop offs. No more rust to speak of. I built the 351C with the intention of dropping it in but:
                          1. It doesn't really fit so the engine bay tweaking is a must,
                          2, the rest of the components like the 3speed, the steering, suspension, final drive should all be updated as well. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a commitment. The car is original with the original drive line never out of it afaik. 3 on the tree, base 200cid, non power drums all around 4 lugs, no ac, no ps. AFAIK the only option is the am/fm radio. Maybe a better choice is to keep it original. Registered, runs and drives. I was thinking to maybe sell it and get one already resto modded closer to what I want so I could just finish it of rather than tear into it.
                          Last edited by jacek; February 5, 2023, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Thank you. Should I start separate threads in the project section? Pictures are a must, agreed. The Fiat is the 124 sport-1968 was the first year in the US. It looks a bit different than the later years. The Honda was low mileage (3800) refurb . I'm pretty much done with that. The Kawa will be my take on the retro cafe- I got some early 60s parts, chrome fenders, headlamps, seats, handle bars, etc. I feel I hit the fork in the road with the maverick- I fixed some small body damage and welded in new sheet metal for the bit rusty lower quarters and trunk drop offs. No more rust to speak of. I built the 351C with the intention of dropping it in but:
                            1. It doesn't really fit so the engine bay tweaking is a must,
                            2, the rest of the components like the 3speed, the steering, suspension, final drive should all be updated as well. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a commitment. The car is original with the original drive line never out of it afaik. 3 on the tree, base 200cid, non power drums all around 4 lugs, no ac, no ps. AFAIK the only option is the am/fm radio. Maybe a better choice is to keep it original. Registered, runs and drives. I was thinking to maybe sell it and get one already resto modded closer to what I want so I could just finish it of rather than tear into it.
                            Maybe we can get Milner351 to ring in here on the Maverick. He knows Ford-specific stuff really well and likely has some knowledge of how that engine fits in that body. He's an engineer at Ford and can ask the old-timers if he doesn't personally have the knowledge. PM him if he doesn't answer.
                            Last edited by DanStokes; February 5, 2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Should I start separate threads in the project section?
                              Sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X