Snow is coming - time for new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow is coming - time for new tires

So, it's getting close to winter and I'm starting to shop for new treads for my Super Duty. My requirements: Good snow traction, load range E (I tow frequently), 35" diameter for 16" rim (I don't want to drop tire size or buy new rims) and reasonable price. I know that this narrows my options considerably, but it is what it is. I currently have Hankook mud terrains on the truck and hate them. They tow excellent (load range E), but they are too loud for a non-aggressive mud tire, and I've never been able to get them to balance right. Plus they are not an optimum design for snow traction.

So far I think the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac look like the leading candidate. I've never been a Goodyear fan, but they fit all of my specification well, so I may give them a shot. Anyone else with experience with the Duratracs in the snow? How loud are they on the road? Any trouble getting them to balance?

I'm open to other suggestions, just looks like the Goodyears are the frontrunner right now. They are rated very high for snow traction (10 out of 10 on Goodyear's site).

Any thoughts? Here is a picture of the truck for reference (and just because I know how everyone likes pictures ;D).

Still plays with trucks....

Re: Snow is coming - time for new tires

my favorite mud tire is the Dunlop - since they last 70k miles.... but I don't worry about the noise. Low - noise, either the Kelly tire or the Bridgestone...
    I just bought new tires - no-name chinese (Omni) - were 40% less then the Bridgestone.... but they may also last 40% less then the 65k miles I put on the prior bridgestones.... only time will tell -
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just put a set of BFG All Terrain 10 ply's on my '01 SD. Hope they last longer than the Coopers that came off.

Comment

I had the Nitto Terra Grapplers .... quiet, decent wet/off-road/snow traction. The downside....once you hit about 40k, they seem to start wearing faster.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I like the BFG A/Ts (my brother had a set on his F150 and they went great in the snow) but they don't offer them in 10 ply for 35" size. Same for the Nitto T/G - I had a set on my old F150 and loved them as well, but only load range D in 35s.

I also like the Cooper Discoverer (have a set on my 79 F350) but they are only load range D as well.

Bridgestone and Dunlop don't even offer a tire in my size (315/75/16)

And I don't necessarily want a mud tire, I'm looking for an aggressive snow tire. The Hankook mud tires I'm replacing worked good in the snow when new, but performance dropped off quickly as they wore out.

Comment

I had the Nitto's in load range E....size 285/75/16, its like 34 or so inches tall.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I am on my second set of Cooper Discoverer STT's on my 3/4 ton Suburban. I love them.

They are load rated E and work well in the snow and off road, I pull a horse trailer tear round and getting in and out of fields and pastures can be tough in the rain and snow. They are fairly quiet compared to some other tires I have had.

Comment

I sold the 305/70 - 16 BFG TA K/O's and went back to the stock size 265/75 - 16 LRE - Rugged Trail TA - they are an OEM spec tire so I know they meet at least Ford's min specs to be sold on a new truck - and that's saying something.

I found the KO's too noisy and I didn't like the handling, made the front end feel too heavy and wanted to stay in the truck ruts.

I'm not sure if the rugged trails are made in the size you're looking for - but it's worth a try.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                  I had the Nitto's in load range E....size 285/75/16, its like 34 or so inches tall.
                  A 285/75/16 is essentially a 33x11.5, they measure about 32.75" in diameter. I'm looking at 315/75/16, which is 34.5" diameter.

John, the only BFGs that they show in my size are the MT KM2, the AT KO, and the Baja T/A, but they are all load range D (Baja is a C). My 05 F150 came stock with the Rugged Trails and they were good as long as I had them (replaced them after 2000miles with 35x12.50 BFG MTs).

I do like the Coopers on my '79, good traction and pretty quiet for a mud tires, but don't have the load range I need in my size.

Comment

DONT SAY THE 'S' WORD YET! That is the lat thing I want or need! I dont have the yard ready, I dont have an extra vehicle, and I dont have a truck running..

Hey, why the hell am I sitting here posting when I could be getting something running.... oh yeah lunch break.

Comment

Did you look into Toyo tires? open country 305/70-16 load E

Comment

These are all truck tires. I haven't lived in snow country in twenty years so I don't know anymore. Do you put snow tires on the average car/ minivan?
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Most all tires are "M/S" Mud and Snow rated anymore. Even the TA's on your ride.

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          These are all truck tires. I haven't lived in snow country in twenty years so I don't know anymore. Do you put snow tires on the average car/ minivan?

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
                            Did you look into Toyo tires? open country 305/70-16 load E
                            305/70/16 is essentially a 33x12.50. 32.7 overall diameter.

The 315/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/T is load range D 8ply.

But - the Toyo Open Country M/T is Load range E 10ply. This may be an option. Haven't looked at these yet. Anyone with experience with these? I'll have to research these and find some prices...

Comment

the toyo is a nice tire. I dont sell that brand, but lots of my customers have them on the shop trucks, and that pretty much tell me everything in need to know.

nitto has a new trail grappler, but not convinced how they wear yet. Hankook tires usually wear like iron, but the supply chain has been AWFUL this fall. has been for nitto too.

and forget trying to buy lo-pro or tall 22.5-24.5... but that is beside the point here.

as a side note, lots of the "rural" tire dealers I service dont sell mud tires for snow. they all claim A/T's work better.

i have a lowered Suburban, what do i know... ;D
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X