No announcement yet.

What's soda blasting cost in your area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's soda blasting cost in your area?

Thinkin' of startin' a new project....
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Re: What's soda blasting cost in your area?

???
    you want to buy the service or offer it??
    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Cost me $1200 for EVERY surface on my Mustang,in out top bottom,EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03
        Cost me $1200 for EVERY surface on my Mustang,in out top bottom,EVERYTHING!
        good luck getting it all out before prime..

Comment

sounds like it's cheaper than acid dipping.

a friend is having a vette frame dipped and ecoated - will be about $1200 for the frame alone.

It was somewhere around $4 grand to do an entire car.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My truck they told me $600 for the cab it is better then acid my coupe was acid diped way back and you can see were it eats the metal when you look inside it .
            as for all out before prime, you wash it before you paint it not a big deal

Comment

Yea - I'm not wild about the acid dip idea - heard too many horror stories, especially for a unibody car.

I'm going to take my mach1 down to metal the old fashioned way - at home, probably with a combination of stripper and sand paper.... that way I can see which panels have any of the original paint on them, what color the primer coat was, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                Yea - I'm not wild about the acid dip idea - heard too many horror stories, especially for a unibody car.

I'm going to take my mach1 down to metal the old fashioned way - at home, probably with a combination of stripper and sand paper.... that way I can see which panels have any of the original paint on them, what color the primer coat was, etc.
                that is what I did on my truck as it was just the firewall roof and headache board everything else is new so why spend the money when I replaced everything that would have been striped

Comment

Wash it three times, then wash it again, then once more for good measure. Most paints are SEVERELY allergic to soda residue.

I did mine with a DA, 2" rolocs and a pot blaster for the hard to reach spots. It takes forever but it's what you do when you don't have a grand laying around.

I doubt I'll ever strip a car again though. Just the parts I'm repairing. The rest I'll just scuff and prime.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                    Wash it three times, then wash it again, then once more for good measure. Most paints are SEVERELY allergic to soda residue.

x2

Comment

8 inch mud hog and some 60 strips fat aeras FAST lol but ya gotta watch yourself

Comment

I've heard alot of folks echo what John just wrote.

If the factory paint is in good condition - there's no better primer.

If it's checked / cracked though - it has to go.

Short of taking a grinding wheel to the body -- what grit of sand paper is "too coarse" to put on a DA and start stripping?

Seems like 80 makes pretty quick work of it - but I have a patience shortage, can you get 60 for a DA? 36? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                          I've heard alot of folks echo what John just wrote.

If the factory paint is in good condition - there's no better primer.

If it's checked / cracked though - it has to go.

Short of taking a grinding wheel to the body -- what grit of sand paper is "too coarse" to put on a DA and start stripping?

Seems like 80 makes pretty quick work of it - but I have a patience shortage, can you get 60 for a DA? 36? ;D
                          DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH PAINT IS ON THERE,, IF ONE PAINT JOB 80 DOES FINE.. multi layers 60..
                          is fine to knock most of it down..

we always use 80 and 60 at spots that are getting worked anyways..
                          doesn't take long..
                          I have wireless headphones and just turn on a few good c/d's and go

Comment

Gotta go with Taz on this one. I just use the DA and patience. You can usually do it in a day - and there are no "surprises" when you start painting. I don't like chemical stripper because it'll ooze into EVERYTHING even if you try to tape off the seams, and blasting leaves residue everywhere. Sand it for cheap and thank yourself later. It's really not that bad.

I use the air DA until it gets REALLY cold, which it will. Then I use the electric for a while until it gets really hot (which it will). Just switch back and forth.

I usually try to stay with 80 grit but will use 60 if the paint's really thick (sound familiar?). Then a coat of self etching primer and one of the filler/primers. They'll fill the sand scratches easily as long as you don't burn the metal. And my standard advice - sandpaper is supplies, not tools. Change it often.

Dan

Comment

I paid $20 per wheel for 4- 15x7 steel rims.

I think the guy who I went to gets around $1000 +- for a shell of a car, depending on the size, etc.
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X