Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know the color codes for Scotch Brite pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the color codes for Scotch Brite pads?

Coarse/medium/fine? And do those colors also apply to floor machine pads? Thanks
    STUGOTS

Re: Does anyone know the color codes for Scotch Brite pads?

I have some 3M Scotch Brite pads with a Velcro-type drill attachment. For these pads it follows:
    Green - fine
    Red - medium
    Orange - coarse

Red is usually good for prepping primed or e-coated body panels for primer or paint. I like the green pads for polishing aluminum. I usually start with those, then graduate from 800 to 1200 grit sandpaper and then a little rub-a-dub with some metal polish.

Comment

From McMaster-Carr.

Pads and Pad Holders for Floor Cleaning Machines
      Pads strip, scrub, and buff floors. They are 1" thick, and both sides are usable. Note: A pad holder is required when using a pad.

General Purpose Pads? For use on hard surfaces and for machines operating at 175-350 rpm.
      Please specify pad color from choices below:
      Black?For aggressive wet stripping of finish and sealer.
      Blue?For moderate wet scrubbing.
      Brown?Use for wet or dry stripping.
      Green?Use wet for heavy duty scrubbing to remove dirt and scuff marks.
      Red?Use wet or dry to buff, restore shine, and remove scuff marks.
      White?Mildly abrasive for polishing clean floors to a high-gloss finish. Use on dry or lightly misted floors.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

My experience in selling them as a former slave at an Industrial Tool company that shall remain un-names for crimes against human beings and general stupidity...
          Red/maroon pads are what I always generally sold for paint prep, general work. OK for scuffing for primer, but on finished primer, you need to look at the gray pads which are a fine pad.
          White pads are super fine and I never used them for anything aside from occasionally cleaning stuff like maybe aluminum, etc when trying for a light scratch pattern.

Oh, and don't use a red pad to clean up your bathroom sink. I uh, sort of ah, did that a couple times to rid coffee stains, and proceeded to remove the polish off the sink unknowningly... :o didn't take much, either
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
            My experience in selling them as a former slave at an Industrial Tool company that shall remain un-names for crimes against human beings and general stupidity...
            Red/maroon pads are what I always generally sold for paint prep, general work. OK for scuffing for primer, but on finished primer, you need to look at the gray pads which are a fine pad.
            White pads are super fine and I never used them for anything aside from occasionally cleaning stuff like maybe aluminum, etc when trying for a light scratch pattern.

Oh, and don't use a red pad to clean up your bathroom sink. I uh, sort of ah, did that a couple times to rid coffee stains, and proceeded to remove the polish off the sink unknowningly... :o didn't take much, either
            WTF's coffee doing in your bathroom sink? If ya don't like drinking it, why'd ya make it? ;D
            STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
            X