Shaving bumper bolts and welding holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving bumper bolts and welding holes

Anyone care to offer some advice on something I am considering doing on my '72 GTS bumpers?

I have finally been able to rescue my bumpers after sitting at a chrome shop for 9 months and the shop had not ever done anything to them. Long story, but anyways...I have rescued my bumpers.

I spent Powertour 2010 getting a lot of grief... ;D :...so this time 'round I want to have front and rear bumpers

The rear bumper should not be that big of a deal on the main surface. With how the brackets bolt to it, however, I probably can't weld them all on the bumper, otherwise I could not get the brackets bolted on...unless maybe slotting the brackets?

{trying to find a better picture on the car for the front, but no luck right now}

The fronts should not be a big deal.

So, question is, what's the best way on this?

Take a large thick washer, tack weld to the back of the bumper, slide the bumper bolt on, test fit, and then weld the bolt to the washer, grind off the head and then weld in the opening on the bumper and leave material for the chrome shop to metal finish?
    I know it's better to leave material for them to grind down so it's done correctly, but I can't seem to get the same answer on how much is enough.

Thanks for any input
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Shaving bumper bolts and welding holes

I would weld the bumper bolt on the back side of the bumper, cut off the head, grind down close to smooth and let the chrome shop finish the grinding and smoothing on the surface
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I would ask the chrome shop.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

bolt the bumper on, grind a notch in the bolt head/bumper, mig that notch full. Pull the bumper, TIG weld the bolt on the back, grind the head off, weld up the crack (either mig or tig).... take to chromer - try to make weld as level as possible.

do slot the brackets so you can get them on/off before-hand.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
        X