Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by bjohn; February 10, 2024, 10:35 AM.

Re: A swap is in order

Hmmm, sounds too good to be true to me. He's got a ton of stuff done to a car that is half the age of yours, maybe there are hidden problems with it?
    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Scam???.... Idk, if it's legit, I'd be all over that like a bum on a ham sandwich!!!!!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I think yours looks better, I'd keep it and find the LS1 to put in vs buying that one. I think it's been ridden hard and probably put away wet...
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Is it still a 10-bolt rear end? Drag radials and a t56 is hard on those rear ends at stock power levels.

Comment

you'd be stupid not to get that even if it has been beaten on, the motor in that is worth more than an entire 3rd gen camaro.

if you dont want it tell him ill give him $1600 for it ;D

Comment

Sounds like a great deal IF it's LEGIT. I would make sure he's got the title - make sure the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the car, and look CAREFULLY at body lines, framework, etc to make sure it's not a cobbled together salvage car nightmare.

I agree - he's got $$$ wrapped up into it - it's got "high" miles but is a great foundation - IF it's LEGIT.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Oh, another thought while you're checking. Make sure it's an LS1 in there and not an LQ4 or 4.8/5.3. They look similar enough when dressed in Camaro/Trans-am accessories and more then one person has been known to swap in a $200 4.8/5.3 in place of a blown-up LS1 so the car can be sold. The heads should be 853's for a '00 and the block will be Al.

Generation III Internal Engine - Common question...head casting numbers and details - Here is a list of a few casting #'s: 853 97-00 aluminum 5.7 241 01-03 aluminum 5.7 243 LS6 aluminum 5.7 852 and 706 99 and up 4.8-5.3 truck heads 873 99-00 LQ4 6.0 iron heads 317 01 and up LQ4 6.0 aluminum heads 035 02 and up LQ9 6.0...

Comment

Originally posted by just_james
                  Oh, another thought while you're checking. Make sure it's an LS1 in there and not an LQ4 or 4.8/5.3. They look similar enough when dressed in Camaro/Trans-am accessories and more then one person has been known to swap in a $200 4.8/5.3 in place of a blown-up LS1 so the car can be sold. The heads should be 853's for a '00 and the block will be Al.

Generation III Internal Engine - Common question...head casting numbers and details - Here is a list of a few casting #'s: 853 97-00 aluminum 5.7 241 01-03 aluminum 5.7 243 LS6 aluminum 5.7 852 and 706 99 and up 4.8-5.3 truck heads 873 99-00 LQ4 6.0 iron heads 317 01 and up LQ4 6.0 aluminum heads 035 02 and up LQ9 6.0...
                  if it was an LQ4 or a 5.3 id still trade. they both make a lot more power than any tpi 350 ever did

Comment

the old L98 was a real torquer
                    but the LS is the prize
                    progress

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss

if it was an LQ4 or a 5.3 id still trade. they both make a lot more power than any tpi 350 ever did

I'm just saying it is something to watch out for. I know those little 5.3's can put out a ton of power, but if he goes to resell the car it could be a hang up. And if there are emissions involved, I don't know how it works out with truck motors in cars.

Comment

I personally think 3s look better than 4s. That said Ls's are just too good to deny. I'd trade. But better yet would be to ls/t56 the 3rd gen as CTX said. Course thats the more expensive way to go.

Comment

There was one of those floating around from owner to owner here one time. Nobody could figure out why it was such a dog. One guy finally decided to tear into the motor and oopsie, it's a 5.3!
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

a 5.3 runs pretty strong

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              a 5.3 runs pretty strong
                              not as strong as a 5.7 LS1...

Comment

Working...
                              X