California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California

Just wondering if anyone else has been romanticized by California as a result of images and stories from Hot Rod, Car Craft, or just hot rodding in general. I'm not one to move around much, I like to stay close to home, but if I could move anywhere, it would be So-Cal.

I was there for the first time last year for a friend's wedding, in San Diego, and I DID NOT WANT TO GO HOME. The streets, the flora, the cars, the weather -- it all looked so familiar, and I can only attribute it to having seen so much of it in the mags. It's fascinating that even pictures from tech stories, which may only capture a little bit of the environ, still leave quite an impression.

So, anybody else drawn to So-Cal because of the influence of the car culture?

Re: California

Cali has it all. Just no work. I was born and raised in Cali but moved to Nevada two years ago just for that reason.

Comment

Every time I go to California I get a sore throat.
      Too much clean air out here on the prairies, I guess.

And I didn't see a single hot rod or cool car while I was there.
      Plenty of great stuff running around here - so why leave?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
        Every time I go to California I get a sore throat.
        Too much clean air out here on the prairies, I guess.

And I didn't see a single hot rod or cool car while I was there.
        Plenty of great stuff running around here - so why leave?
        X2..

plus, there are no Californians in Kansas.

;D

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I like SD as well, we go there every few years (Mission Bay area).

You know why Colorado got Californians and Texas got Herpes?....Texas got first pick!

Just kidding guys.....its a joke.....REALLY!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

There is a lot to like about SoCal for the car guy. Most noteably is the ability to cruise in your machine year round. But, the high cost of living, anti business climate created by the state government, lack of jobs now, and of course our crappy traffic make it a place on has to really hustle just to pay bills.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My trip out for the open house confirmed my "do not want to live in SoCal" mind set. It was a very cool weekend, but, jeez at the tralffic.

Comment

I'd love to visit california.

I only got stories from my sister, and father (more so).

neither could live in it, but a very nice place at times.

my dads story is that of truckdriving, since early 70s..into the 80s, first trip was as a wandering hippy in a beetle in the 60s. He always mentions huntington beach (don't know why he liked it). he watched how fast it went, not enough defense., much like a lot of locations with a purpose...

no desire to back.

I have never been, just want to visit.

2 days , 3 hours,

3,238 miles.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

a large scale version of long island -overcrowded

Comment

The only good thing I know about California is the fact it's over a thousand miles from here. I've lived there and have no desire to go back, not even for a visit. There probably are some good people there and the californians here on BS are cool, but I've yet to meet a decent person from anywhere in the state that wasn't an a-hole. Then there is the fact 'no habla espanol'. :D

Comment

Don't come here.

Comment

Cost of living is what kept me away, I like northern Cali and had a good paying job lined up but in order to take it I had to commuter 3 hours every day...not a chance in hell

I love So-Cal too but I dunno about living there, the prices are nuts!
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Dave he either hasn't meat you ;;;;;;or you just slipped his mind . :-\ South Carolina is where I want to move. I'm used to tornados, hurricans sound intresting. If I said it one I said it a 1000 times , I'm a 3 season guy spring , summer, fall . From what I get from my friends that have been to SoCal is they have two...........Brown(summer) and Green (winter) .

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                            Don't come here.
                            No worries David, I wont. Have absolutely no desire to go there whatsoever.

Comment

So, sounds like a case of forbidden love... or something like that. Oh well. :-\ Thanks for the reality check, everyone.

The state can probably at least look forward to my tourism dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X