Welcome Bruce Bowling!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Bruce Bowling!!

Most of you probably haven't heard the name. Maybe you've heard of "Bowling and Grippo..."

Anyways, Bruce recently started posting here in the Tech section. Why is he so important? Because he is the guy who said, "you want HOW MUCH for a standalone Engine Management System? Seriously? No thanks, I think I will create MY OWN..."

And thus, Megasquirt was born!!

There's actually a great, longer story behind it. And lots of other great stories from early users and testers. I'll let him share those if he wants to.

Suffice it to say, I have used Megasquirt on a number of cars. Guys here who run it: CarjunkieChad commutes every day in Rusty with a megasquirt lighting the fires; CDMBill's car runs one; Goat Racer uses a Megasquirt for ignition control and data logging; parish8 has brought home three consecutive Drag Week class wins with Megasquirt; TheSilverBuick, JoeyG, JeffMcKC and SEERED are all gearing up to run it this season; Gary Hart's LSR '53 Studebaker exited the traps at SpeedWeek 2007 at 251mph under Megasquirt power; purplecobra is now an experienced megasquirt user & installer; and I am sure there are many more MS users lurking on this board!!

Long story short, Bruce has helped put cost-effective engine management into the hands of people who could not have afforded a commercial system. As it turns out, his little "Do It Yourself" system is every bit as usable, if not moreso, than all the other commercial systems out there. I like to call it the "Linux of Standalone systems" for it's Open Source nature and features.

My homework says that this system now outsells all other commercial systems COMBINED.

And personally, megasquirt has helped me learn and teach modern EFI tricks; I wouldn't even be on this forum if it weren't for megasquirt.

I never got to ask Bruce how the hell he came up with the name "Megasquirt" so maybe he'll get on here and answer that question?

Anyways, WELCOME Bruce! It's nice to have you here!

-scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: Welcome Bruce Bowling!!

Yes, Thank You Bruce ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Welcome Bruce. Hopefully EFI will be in the future for my Impala. As for now I
      am just trying to get educated so don't hold back on the tech. From what I
      have read it looks like MS will be the way to go, hopefully not to far in the future.

Comment

Wow! What a nice intro - when in fact I should be saying excellent things about Scott!! For those who do not know, Scott took the basic MS and put PRACTICAL features into it and created the eMS-PRO - everything including the sink. Also he is the tuning WIZARD - I mean take any non-running setup and wait about 15 minutes....

I like this forum a lot, it has a lot of activity and all sorts of subjects from people with all sorts of backgrounds. A real place to learn something new!

As for the MegaSquirt name - my co-conspirator, Al Grippo, came up with it with some sort of flippant response when I told him we needed to create an inexpensive, simple setup. Back then we were working on the EFI332 project and it was painfully aware that a simple approach was better than a complicated setup, So, with Al's off-the-cuff remark, the name stuck...

- Bruce

Comment

Welcome 8).You should know that your products are all over Europe too ;D.Im probably goin with turbo on a 468 bigblock in some years,so i will be on new territory there :

Comment

Welcome, Bruce. If I hadn't already done the EFI conversion on my 68 Cougar using OEM 5.0L Mustang stuff (which wasn't too bad, I'm a Ford parts counter guy), I'd definitely be looking at the MS stuff. I may yet go that way, because I'd like to make it EDIS.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Hey Bruce... Good to have you here!!!!.... We met at Pri a few years ago... Tonya and I have that White Bonneville Camaro we watched on the big screen after Scott finally figured it out... LOL

and Like you .. I'm finding this a nice place to hang out... Lots of bright people and Scott, LOL

Keith

Comment

Glad to have you here, Bruce!

Comment

I suspected Bruce was smart when I read an SAE paper he recommended on E85 and had to get out the dictionary 6 times to get through the title. LOL

Welcome Bruce!

Comment

Welcome Bruce,
                    What you have done with Megasquirt in putting a powerfull, full featured, yet inexpensive system in the hands of the average Joe places you in the company of the leaders in automotive aftermarket pioneers! Now if only we can put this motor together this weekend the EMS-Pro is going to get its shot. THANKS SCOTT for all your help!

This little VW is going to run whether it likes it or not.

Joel in Virginia

Comment

Yeah......but can he put a swing set
                      together in ten minutes (like the instructions read ;D)

Seriously............great to have such great talent on the forum..welcome

Comment

Coming from Scott, that says alot.

Greetings, nice to meet you.
                        Hope you like the site.

Comment

Hey Bruce! Glad you're here! My truck (the BBR) has a MS that I just finished installing last night. Can't wait to get it running!!!!
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                          X