My SEMA Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SEMA Experience

This was my first time trekking to SEMA. Having friends who work for the magazines, Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Popular Hot Rodding, I heard all about SEMA from their point of view. It wasn't something they looked forward to with any enthusiasm. Long days, lack of sleep, walking a million miles a day, and endless meetings. When I told David Freiburger I was going he asked me why with a tone that smacked with "What's wrong with you? Are you sick?"

I can understand where they come from. For a magazine editor, SEMA is a week of 95% business and 5% fun. Even our own Brian and Chad had to work most of the week. But, those two could have fun at a tax audit.

Right now, I'm just an end user of gearhead toys for the most part. I do have a few cars that I work on for other people, and their wants and plans for their rides was sitting out back in my mind. But, mostly, I was there for myself.

SEMA is just a trade show. But to get the attention for their wares, the companies build amazing, attention getting vehicles to show how their product could look on your car or truck. The competition for magazine and website attention means the vehicles being built are ever raising the bar in wild, unique, imaginative and insanely high quality builds. Those are what you see the most.

Since I don't have to worry about advertisers getting cranky about my opinions; I'm going to give you all an honest report of what I saw. Something you won't get from the magazines.

The 238 pics I took have maxed out my Photobucket account.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: My SEMA Experience

The registration desk was right next to the Off Road and 4x4 section of the show, so it's no surprise that I headed there first. I'm not a big off road guy. I had friends that owned them and have had fun playing in the dirt with them in their toys, but I've never had the inkling to build one, yet. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate neato gizmos and stuff for those vehicles.

This set up sure had my attention. I always thought hunting sucked. Sitting in some duck blind, or up on a tree seat waiting for something to come along to shoot was way too much roughing it for me. But, this rig my get me to go next time.

Taking animals alive requires special equipment. Though, a pair of Aussies were heard saying that could lasso a pair of Sheilas quite easily with this Jeep.

OK, Toyota invading NASCAR didn't win over any of the old school fans of the racing series. But, I was curious to see the V8 they built for the race cars since they don't produce a push rod V8 in any vehicle they build. This engine was a cut away to let you know what's what inside.

The only car in Toyota's display that caught my attention was this Camry. It's RWD and sports a EFI'ed version of the Nascar V8 and 4 speed that produces about 650 hp on pump gas. Toyota Racing Development built the motor as they do for all race teams. They are basically a sealed part, the teams don't touch them. TRD even supplies tuner guys at the track to make adjustments. When the blow up, they go back to TRD untouched by the teams. Mostly, this car is a Solara with Camry bits in the right places.

Retrokit built this bolt on front end for the late model Camaro's to emulate the '69 more closely. I was really impressed with this kit. First, being a bolt on, and second that proportions aren't all out of whack. I also am beginning to really like this factory green color.

As much as I was impressed with Retrokit's front end kit for the Camaro; I was unimpressed by the back. Come on, a lousy chrome bumper stuck on top of the rubber bumper? I'm hoping they will come up with something more inspiring later on.

Is it just me, or does everyone who pumps up the horsepower on a modern muscle car also slaps on more body bits? The more the hp, the gaudier the car gets. ACK!! Just once, I'd like to see the new LS7 stuffed into a plain jane V6 stripper coupe.

The Bullitt Edition of the new Mustang is may favorite of the late model Stangs for their simplicity. Gluing a chrome stick across the front in order to make it more retro looking is a big fail in my humble opinion.

You knew it would take about six seconds for the supercharger companies to come up with a kit for the new 5.0 Mustangs. These engines are over 400 hp out the Ford door, so one of these kits will make the car really fun.

Road racing big rigs would be proof to other worlders that humans will race anything with an engine in it. Do any of us think the guy who penned a Freightliner big rig had thoughts of how cool it would be to race it full out on a tight road course?

Inside, there are all the racing vehicle acruments, roll cage, guages, 5 point harness, air ride seat....... air ride seat? Wait. What's with the GPS? Do these race truck drivers get lost on the track?

The big turboed straight six engine got moved way back near the center of the chassis to improve handling. These big racers also have a water tank with sprayers that stream water on the brakes when in use. Blowing air on the brakes isn't enough for these monsters to keep the brakes cool enough to function. On TV, it looks like smoke pouring off the brakes, but it's steam.

If you look up 'utilitarian' in the dictionary, there should be a picture of a WWII Jeep. They define it still. They were designed to a particular job with no frills what so ever. I think that is what makes these vehicles so dear to many guys today. New trucks and Jeeps are all loaded down with frilly, luxury items whether you want them or not.

This ranked right near the top of my list of total cool rides at SEMA this year. The vast majority of '57 T-Birds still on the road today are restored to correct over spray and chalk mark correctness. This one tossed that whole point of view in the trash can and went hog wild. If the carpet under it looks familiar, it's the same puke hiding motif that DF's F Bomb was sitting on last year.

The monster blower sticking out of the flamed T Bird's hood was sitting on top of a Ford SOHC 427. Total badness. The exhaust is spewed out full blown zoomies with just enough baffling to keep from blowing out windows while driving down the street.

Many more pics to come.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

nice photos
      TRD does not build joe gibbs engines

Comment

cool, can't wait for the next installment.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Good job Scott!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Outside, this altered wheel base '66 Chevelle grabbed my attention. At first, I was thinking it was a gasser tribute, but noticed how the rear wheels were moved forward. It was a quality build either way. After reading DF's article in HRD on the gasser era, this would've been right there between gassers and the beginning of funny cars.

Rally drivers are just plain crazy. Their navigators are even crazier to ride with these guys while they fly down goat trails and narrow country roads. The Porsche 911's were always a fav of mine. The dozen headlights mean that this one often finished race legs after dark. Even nuttier.

Is it bad to have a favorite Japanese car? I don't know. But, Nissan Skyline GTR's from the mid-late 90's are it. Simple coupe design (without owner added body kits), rear wheel drive, and a tough as nails engine producing a ton horsepower. Some guys hate them because they aren't american or have a V8, but I don't care. The only thing that sucks is that they near impossible to get registered in Cali. Importing and owning one would cost $80,000 and up.

Cherry Bomb's Camaro is just as bad as it looks in the pics. The low gloss black and red give it a look that more resembles a car the everyman could build. The 8-71 blower and side pipes give it the street machine looks of the early 80's. That's an era very dear to me. Too bad Cherry Bomb won't be building side pipes. The guy I talked to said at one time they built them in three sizes and they would leave the warehouse as fast as the fork lifts could bring them in.

I think this is first LS engine with an 8-71 blower on top. I don't know how horsepower this thing makes, but I hope Cherry Bomb has budgeted for regular rear tire replacement.

Ring Brothers have been getting a lot of press the last couple years with their high quality builds of Fords. This Mustang fastback is one of two they had at SEMA this year. Their attention to details has set the bar high for the competition.

Why am I showing an old Mercedes 190 SL? Well, it had some hot rodders upgrades. First of all, the four banger got tossed for an AMG version of 5.5 ltr V8. The body had subtle changes and the large wheels have the look of the original hubcaps. The lack of side wall on the rubber was my only complaint.

If you're driving a roadster, red leather is almost a requirement. The 190 SL's had scrumptous cow hides to park your butt on.

Ford has the biggest display with the most cars that ran the gamut from old street rods to modern toys. The first one I came across was this old box Bronco. I like these for their simplicity and utility even though they were very prone to rust and narrow track as detractors. This one was once owned by Edsel Ford II. It was also originally red.

If you were brave, or just adventurous, you could have your ego bruised playing a round of pool with pro Alison Fischer on this cool Mustang table that was in Ford display.

The era of racing that cars like this came from get a ton of respect from me. First of all, these things didn't have any safety items at all. At that time, drivers thought it was safer to get tossed from the car and hope you clear it and not get wadded into a ball when you landed. Helmets were just leather hats that did more to keep your hair from getting messy in the wind than protect your gray matter. Also, until the 60's, a full 50% of drivers were dying behind the wheel in races.

This bright red roadster pickup had a modern 5.0 engine made to look like a cammer with Hilborn injection. I want to stick this in CC's McGann's Crown Vic. I think those injector tubes sticking out of the hood of his cop car would be slick. The smog guys here in Cali probably wouldn't be so enthralled.

This concours level restoed '69 Boss 302 is set to be giving away as pair matched up with a matching color 2011 Boss.

This Grabber Blue monster is the new Taurus SHO. It's absolutely massive. That's saying something since the smallest car I drive is a '65 Impala. I bet it weighs more than 2 tons easy so that twin turboed Ecotech V6 is gonna have to work very hard to get this Moby Dick moving. I like this color, btw.

Many of you have seen this car in pics. It's Ford's answer to dropping the Crown Vic. It's all wheel drive to help somewhat with those departments that stick their nose up front drive cars. I don't think this will win over many of them. Complicated and expensive to begin often spells many repairs and up keep. With the economy the way it is trying to get cities to buy a fancy car for street duty is a hard sell. Those wheels wouldn't last one shift on most pot holed city streets.

Trying to get a pic of this Mustang convertible was difficult and the picture doesn't do this Pony Girl version any justice at all. The paint is Pink Chrome with the new chrome paints being marketed. I talked to the guy who built this and he said the paint was difficult to get right, but he a great job. Girls were all over this including a certain blonde who hangs around here. A man might actually drive this for that reason alone.

Ford Focus's are not my favorite car, but I did like the paint job. The black over a pearlized orange separated by a silver stripe with big flakes looked really cool.

ATI, the maker of Pro Charger, now makes smaller versions to make your iron horse really scary. Bolt on one of these and your insurance agent may drop you. This psuedo cafe racer looking two wheeler with Harley type twin cylinder engine is only for the brave or stupid. Not sure which.

I'm a big fan of Mavericks. This one was a later 73-76 model with that wide body side modeling, but they removed the monster 5 mph bumper. Set up for track days and autocrossing, this one was super cool. I want one.

Cramming a late model Mod Motor under the hood of an old Mustang requires a ton of cutting and welding. Shove a screw blower on top and you can forget the flat hood. This one is tops in quality and eye catching color.

Some day I'll sit in an interior this nice while driving my ride. Someday.

Were kids of the '50's actually embarrassed to be dropped off at their Junior High in one of these? If they did, I'd point out the K car based mini vans that Chrysler was pumping out by the train load when I was in school.

Car Crazy TV show was filming at SEMA as they do every year. This '71 Cuda 340 coupe was sitting next to their stage. It is a super clean example, but with the rides at this show, it gets lost in the crowd.

This LS powered Firebird was also parked by the SEMA stage. From the door markers, it looks to be part of the Optima Challenge that takes place the day after SEMA closes at the race track in nearby Pahrump, NV. This Poncho is the cover car on this month's issue of Popular Hot Rodding and was supposedly built in a two car garage by the owner.

These Ford Woodie wagon off road vehicles are insanely rare. Woodies didn't stand up to any weather that includes moisture. Either the vehicle had to be stored it's entire life indoors, and away from termites. Restoring one is incredibly expensive as well. But, in the end having a 4x4 from this era would be bitchin. Who wants to be first to take it off the pavement?

The new Challengers are big and portly, so adding these fender buldges turn it into a morbidly obese tank. I kind of like it. But, then again, I like fat cars.

The slab sided Continentals of the '60's are growing in popularity. They are of the few old cars that take large diameter wheels with ease without looking cartoonish. The metallic burgundy paint on this convertible was gorgeous out in the sunlight.

This butt ugly Chrysler wagon was one of my favorites at the show. The old family hauler's paint was literally coming off in large flakes, but inside and under the hood take it to another level. It's hard to see in this photo, but those are large diameter steelies dressed down in drab gray paint.

Under the hood is a modern 6.1 ltr Hemi with old Chrysler Firepower Hemi valve covers attached to dress it down. I would've done something different with the battery and aluminum radiator to dress them down too, but it's still super cool.

As ugly as the wagon was on the outside, the interior was amazing. Check out the split, fold down back seat and all that wood and chrome. Saawweeett.

Early Trans Ams are just bitchin. Especially in bitchin black.

Here's to still having Pontiac power under the hood and not another LS swap. This bad boy was built by Pontiac pro Butler Performance with Edelbrock RPM heads and intake. There's hydro boost brakes to help stop it cause stopping is under rated.

I kept thinking Professor Fate and his Hannibal 8 played by Jack Lemmon in the movie "The Great Race" evey time I saw this Hummer sky high on tracks.

Lincoln, NE's Restore A Muscle Car built this amazing '79 T/A with custom air brushed flaming firebird.

This '69 Camaro looks sinister in it's dark gray paint and blacked out wheels. I like it so much I am actually considering this theme for the Impala. What do you guys think?

Keep tuning in as I will get through all 230 pics here.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The concept cop car is cool!
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Great pictures Scott! I agree with you on the Lincoln, it's one classic car that today's big rims were meant for.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm a sucker for 80's gaudiness. Just about every wannabe yuppie I went to college would've sold an appendage to own one of these. Probably why I'm not a yuppie.

Another classy Lincoln. I had a friend who's Dad had a convertible in the exact color combo as the JFK's. It never left the garage in the 15 years I lived down the street.

This is a car we read about in car mags for years because rodders used to steal parts off of, Cadillac LaSalle. Very rare to see one these days.

I don't much about these, but it seems that a company called Icon based in LA repops the old school Toyota Landcruiser FJ's in body styles in never came in. This flat black one is obviously a four door. I thought it was cool.

'67 Mustang Fastback's are my all time favorite Mustang. Too bad. They are now the most expensive thanks to that damned "Gone in Sixty Seconds" remake and every Richy Rich on the planet wanting Eleanor, the most screwed up basket case, rust bucket shell goes for $10,000. This one had some major power under hood. At least it doesn't have the Movie Body Kit.

On the outside, this lil Mustang convert looked to be the type you buy for your little girl for her sweet sixteen. But, by the looks of that screw type supercharger, this thing just screams.

Anyone else notice how much more popular second gen Camaros have become in the last decade? Notice how the prices climbed too? This one in basic black is sure nice.

I stopped by Air Flow Research's booth to drool all over their jewelry in the shape of aluminum heads. If anyone needs ideas for Christmas presents for me, these will do. These composite, two piece sbc intakes are all new and claim to have 15 hp over the competitors and run 30 degrees cooler. I think they need matching composite valve covers and air cleaners.

These three heads are the big doggies in AFR's line up. Right to left, are the 227 cc, 235 cc, and the new monster 245cc heads. EGAD!! The big one flows 345 cfm at .800. That's more than most aluminum BBC heads flows. They are fully CNC'ed and still a 23* head too.

Penske is now selling these 2010 and 2011 Limited Edition Camaros painted up like the Camaros they raced in the Trans Am series in the late '60's.

OK, this is completely dorky. I don't know why I stopped at this booth. I couldn't tell what it was. But, that is not a wrap on that Scion XB and those are real port holes for windows on the back doors. You best not be claustrophobic when riding in the back seat. You do get a couple neato TV's to watch and play Xbox games on.

I've been a chauffeur for 15 years so I get a pass on this POS. A stretched Scion XB will not be replacing soon departing Towncars in our fleet, but curiosity had me. For it's length, you can only two more passengers than the standard XB. Those bar in the seat backs are more common now in stretches. How come there isn't a hot tub in the back? Damn.

This '72 Chevelle was parked on a ramp. It had a Vortech Supercharged LS with a six speed. That intake design is attention getting if not the most efficient. Chad says forced induction cures all ills, and idiot designs. That inter cooler wouldn't make it out my driveway without a big freaking hole in it. It' be more useful on the roof.

If the 550 hp isn't enough for you with the V10 Viper coupe just add two monstrous turbos. Do you think the traction control will handle this setup? I think not. What's amazing is this set up will fit under the hood and the turbos will quiet down the car's exhaust tone. You could just kill taking on those jokers at the country club and their Euro trash.

Every time I see a nitro front engine dragster I think those drivers were either crazy, stupid, or in denial. Having a stock 392 block being stuffed with boost and nitro right in front of your face, your nuts sitting on the trans, and your ass on top of the differential in a car that handled like an elephant on a hockey rink sounds idiotic, giggly, fun.

Another Duece roadster in the Ford display. The color combo with the scalloped paint scheme is what I liked.

Since Mecum sold a real Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe for $7.5 million last year, Factory Five's price seems so much more inviting for one of their replicas. I wonder if it has AC.

Wagons are cool. Two door '53 Ford wagons are also cool. Much cheaper than a Nomad too.

The company that made this neato tiny camper started off restoring old travel trailers. They used real, solid wood in the cozy interior. The owner said it would weighed around 1200 lbs because of all the hard wood.

Just add headlights, tail lights, turn signals, horn and windshield wipers to your Nationwide car and it's legal to drive on the street. Well, maybe in some other state besides California. I want to commute to work in one of these.

The scalloped paint job in candy pearl got my attention here. Yes, that is my shadow.

The interior on that Chevy pickup had the flair and feel of the wild customs of the late '60's. I love that era for interiors even though most were completely undrivable.

Fox Mustangs fastbacks without all the GT extra weight in simple black just do it for me. Save the bad-asser-ness for what's under the hood.

I have a great respect for those who are great at things that I suck at. Woodworking is one of those things. This guy made a pedal car and every accessory you can think of completely out of wood. Beautiful.

This F350 Ford truck was built for the most serious documentary film makers to go out into the most wild wildnerness to get that great HD shot of a butterfly. I missed the guys at the booth and the door was locked. I was dying to see the interior.

This Chevy C2500 is completely covered in Line-X bed covering and weather sensing equipment for chasing tornadoes. Because when your driving into the vortex of a F5 tornado getting scratches and dings on your truck from flying cows and tractors is formost of your worries.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

COOL STUFF....BTW...the 2 dr Ford Wagon....is a 53.....1953 was the 50th Anniversary of Ford....the steering wheels had cool 50th logos....I own the 53 Ford 2 dr Wagon that was in Spencers Mountain..... ;D
                    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

the black fox is a hatchback not a notchback, but still, great pics, is that all of them?

Comment

Thanks Scott

To answer your question Black Betty would be awesome as Gun Metal Metallic Betty. Might have to work on the name though. I think the wheels would look better in satin aluminum.

The camper needs to be behind a restored version of Brian's Cranbrook.

I really wanted to hate the flamed firechicken but man it would look good on one of the new concept camaro/firebird.

Again thanks for the write ups.

Steve
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

nice pics
                          I want to see that penske f body with the nose off the green f body (the kit)

Comment

Thank you Scott, nice pics. You do good work brother.
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

30 years ago , motor classics in north white plains had the ken miles daytona coupe on the showroom floor for 85k
                              it sat there for years

Comment

Working...
                              X