Anybody not have a garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody not have a garage?

Can you be a car junkie without a garage?

I was wondering if anyone has built up a nice car/truck without one.

most likely not a car junkie garage

Re: Anybody not have a garage?

I could see someone being able to built something nice in a warm climate orso but def. not in a cold and wet climate.

I've had my fair share of 'streetwrenching' years ago and living in the Netherlands means you have to fight moisture and rust every single step of the way. Not possible without a decent 'shelter' for your car.
    Even maintaining an old dailydriver can get very hard at times because it's always wintertime when difficult parts decide to break down. ;)
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I've helped work on some nice rides without a garage (like my Chevelle before I bought it again) but there is nothing, repeat nothing, I've ever done that sucked more than doing a trans swap while laying on your back in mud in Washington State in Feburary, freezing off random points of anatomy.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I don't have a garage any more. I used to use the garage on the old house that's on our place, but it's a 100 year old adobe house and one of the walls of the garage collapsed. I built and installed my stroker in the truck and did a lot of work there. Now, I just do it in the dirt. But I do live in a warm weather area and we don't get much rain, so it's usually not that bad. I think about a couple times when I was in high school. One of them being a motor swap in the street in front of my buddy's parents house, in the snow and and the single diget temperature zone. The other point that comes to mind was that same snow storm, after about 24 inches of snow, I had to put my front drive shaft back on my old '76 Chevy, laying in snow and slush, so I could drive around in the snow. I had it off because that was the only way I could do burnouts in a full time 4WD truck. 8)

We're in the process of planning a metal building for a shop.

Comment

When I was in high school and college in Tucson we had nothing at home except a small shed, which is where I built engines, but then I'd have to carry out the short block and put the heads on in the back of the pickup truck and then haul it over to the neighbors where they had a high beam, and use a come-along to lift it and put it into the car. I did at least half a dozen engines this way. We just had dirt to work on so we used scraps of plywood sometimes to make it a bit more comfy. Friends of mine who painted cars only had single car carports with gravel driveways, but that never stopped them from doing decent work.

Now we're all spoiled...huge insulated shops with concrete floors and whatnot...

this is where I did most of the real work on my truck back then...not much rain in Tucson at least...
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

if you looked at both my garages now{winter in buffalo} i would say i have no garage they are packed i did the engine swap in ly everyday driver out side this winter

the race car is in the trailer
            the 57 and one camaro in my one shop and the bigger shop has my project 67 pick up and my other camaro in it and my coupe is in my mom's garage
            i just got a line on a 48 austin so who knows were that will live but the 2 old hemi's {354}need a home so the austin might have to come home with me lol
            oh ya the bike is out side under a cover and the shed is full of parts lol

so i guess no shop in winter lol

Comment

I'm living that right now but my life will feel complete when I finally have a garage again . My small 2 bay barn just dont cut it .

Comment

Nope. No garage here. I can, however, park both my cars off the street in my driveway. Anyone who lives in LA can tell you that's a rarity.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I had the Dart parked on gravel next to my carport for a while for an install, I've swapped out a radiator in a parking lot, and I think my worst "wrong place for that" story was when I once changed my oil parallel parked on the side of the road in a snowstorm, back in my broke college student days.

Comment

You can absolutely be a CarJunkie without a garage, it just makes it very difficult and/or interesting. Difficult for you, interesting for your friends. Right now I have no garage, and it totally sucks. Usually if I need to do something and the vehicles movable, I go over to my brother's house, he's got a driveway with a carport (not to mention he's got a ton more tools than me).
                    sigpic

Comment

I've refinished the flywheel on a friends car with 80 grit on my back in his apartment's parking lot.

No garage sucks... but think of the money available to buy parts when you don't have to pay for a huge shop! that's how all those kids on LS1tech can afford fancy heads! ;D *joke*
                      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

It can be done. Our garage is only a couple years old and we have had plenty of toys. The key is to stay on top of any issues so they don't progress. Our 66 is a prime example of that. It was perfect and then i turned 16 and wanted my "own" toys so i played with other cars and my dad let it sit. Now after a good many years outside she needs a full resto or at least a ton of work to be roadworthy again. To many nights like this are a bad bad bad thing.

yes there is a car under there. ps that 68 Elky has since gone to the boneyard may she rust in peace :'(

Comment

no garage here Although I do use a garage to build my cars...it's just not mine My concrete gets poured in May, and then I'll be close to having one :

Comment

I have a nice garage now but that wasn't always the case. You could ask my first wife about parts all over the house. No don't...

Comment

Yes, you can be a car junkie without a garage. Fortunately, I've always had one even if some were a bit small. When attending UTI in Phoenix back in '83 we lived in an apartment complex, so working on our cars away from school was a bit of a challenge. They had a strict rule about not having car parts inside our apartments, so we had to get creative. Like hiding cylinder heads under the bed, intake manifolds in the oven, etc. ;D
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X