fuel milage of HD 4 door 4X4 PUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel milage of HD 4 door 4X4 PUs

Down the road in a year or two I wouldn't mind getting one of these if and when I move out to PA full time. There I would have a use for one. I realize you don't buy one for fuel milage but rather the job at hand. Not sure if I'd go diesel or gas. Recently I saw a full size Chevy 2008 4 door 4X4 PU with the 6.0. Just curious what I could expect in milage in this or even a Ford or Dodge equivilant. TIA.

Oh, by the way, have a happy Thanksgiving ;D
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: fuel milage of HD 4 door 4X4 PUs

if gas milage is a concern at all, stay away from the 6.0. i have an older 6.0 and i get 14 on a good day, tail wind and all. plenty of power for anything that i need done, mainly snow removal. not sure about the ford or dodge gas motors, but a diseil would be better for milage. if the HD is not a necessity, the 5.3 in the 1/2 ton chevy will get you 17+ mpg or maybe even low 20's on the highway. just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA552SLOW
      if gas milage is a concern at all, stay away from the 6.0. i have an older 6.0 and i get 14 on a good day, tail wind and all. plenty of power for anything that i need done, mainly snow removal. not sure about the ford or dodge gas motors, but a diseil would be better for milage. if the HD is not a necessity, the 5.3 in the 1/2 ton chevy will get you 17+ mpg or maybe even low 20's on the highway. just my 2 cents worth.
      ^ this

a 5.3 has more than enough grunt to do most things people do with their trucks

Comment

Thanks guys. I was more curious as what to expect. 14 MPG with the 6.0 is better then what I was expecting. I was thinking more around 10 MPG. Like I say,this would be down the road. I was just thumbing through a local classified magazine. It wouldn't be my DD. With my 4.2 Freestar pulling a small trailer with a roof top carrier, I'm getting 17 MPG at around 65 MPH going through hilly areas.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Our 6.0's get 9-11, depending on the driver. But our trucks have tall utility toppers with racks to haul doors on top, se we push a lot of wind. They also weigh a lot, usually between 7-8,000 depending how full of parts the tech keeps his truck.

The sales guys with the 1/2 tons with 4.8's and 5.3's get 16-20. The 4.8's do worse on gas than the 5.3's.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
            Thanks guys. I was more curious as what to expect. 14 MPG with the 6.0 is better then what I was expecting. I was thinking more around 10 MPG. Like I say,this would be down the road. I was just thumbing through a local classified magazine. It wouldn't be my DD. With my 4.2 Freestar pulling a small trailer with a roof top carrier, I'm getting 17 MPG at around 65 MPH going through hilly areas.
            my uncle used to have a 2003 3/4 ton silverado with a 6.0 and his would get 17-18mpg hwy. it had an exhaust and a cai and a tune in it. but other than that it was stock.

the LS motors tend to get better mileage than the 4.6/5.4 ford motors and the 4.7/5.7 dodge motors

Comment

Working...
            X