Oil Change Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil Change Poll

I changed my own oil on every car I owned until I bought my '97 Suzuki. I had no interest in even working on it so when it needed it's scheduled maintanance I just had the dealer do it. When the warranty was finally up I started changing it's oil myself, I get no joy from it but it's cheaper to do it myself. But, changing the oil on the Mercury's and the Dodge I thoroughly enjoy because those are REAL cars! ;D
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I do it....I hate it....but I do it....

Comment

I do mine,the wives , brothers, sisters and both neighbors( one mows and mulches the front yard, and the other neighbor mows the back in return), plus do everybodies state inspection and emission tests.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          I've seen how oil changes get done at the $20 shops....yikes! too many "left the plug loose" stories for me
          *snicker*

- Yeah....now way -

My wife buys oil changes at the Mopar dealer in "six packs" that way she only pays a little more than the "Kwikky - lube" places and it's less likely to get futzed up...

Comment

I'm willing to bet BIG money that the average Quick lube does a better job then the Average Car Junkie at an oil change...

First off there's more eyes on it and more cross checking ( because they've paid for the mistakes in the past )... they go into everything and most of us don't ... that simple..

Think I'm wrong? Seriously... think about your last oil change... you lube everything? Hmmm ( course that's extra and often you and I would do better at a "real" Lube )

Keith

Comment

on my truck, i go as far as to take the carb off and clean it out(inside and out) every oil change, check the front and rear diffs, and every 3 oil changes i lube the whole truck. the fi stuff gets an injection service twice a year and also lube everything every 3 oil changes.

Comment

I'm with Kieth - Hot rod I do myself. Daily drivers I have done locally. I know the guys that work there and a few of them I trust and they do it quicker than I can. The wifes car goes to the dealer, if it breaks there is no excuse that maintenance wasn't followed (thing is too expensive to fix outside of warranty) I don't care that jiffy lube or whoever says that their work meets warranty requirements, I am not taking a chance.

Comment

HMMM. I don't do many oil changes. When the oil gets dirty, I sell the car ;D ;D ;D ;D. Also, most my cars leak a little bit. So, whenever I add my FIFTH quart, I put on a new filter ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                  Originally posted by KeithTurk
                  So it came up in another thread but has merit as a question... Do you change your own Oil?

On average I don't in my daily driver... just don't care ... Personally there isn't much to learn there... my race cars, hot rods, bikes... sure I want to feel the oil look in the bottom of the pan... and generally see the Oil that comes out of them... but the other stuff I have virtually zero interest in...

How bout You?

Keith ( Yep I'm that Lazy )

Comment

I change the oil in the Studebakers religiously. The 4X4 F150 nope...why? It is just a pain in the ass. That's the main reason. If I had a lift it might be easier, but I doubt it. My wife's Jetta - nope....why? Lots of early warranty problems so I have them change so they cannot weasel out of problems they are supposed to cover. Besides since the car spent so much time back at the dealer in the early going the guys there feel sorry for us and discount the oil changes pretty good.

Comment

In the summer...I do all the cars.

In the winter...Not so much ;D
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I work at a dealer, I do mine or have one of the guys do it in my Drivers, I hardly leave a motor in long enough for a oil change in my toys. ;D
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I've even been known to check the tire pressure and rotate them.

I don't do the wifes DD. She works at a dealership and gets it done.
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I change the oil on all my vehicles, and that includes my motorcycles and lawn equipment. ;)
                            And I don't stop at just the engine oil, I change the trany fluids, and even the fork and shock oils in my street and dirt bikes. Fact is I just can't see paying for something I can do myself. And really how long does it take to change your oil, for me it's about 15 minutes and that's taking my time. Basically I just jack up my car, cut a hole in the middle of a bag of kitty litter pop out the drain plug and let it poor into the bag. It's like a big maxie pad for the car and makes for easy oil disposal. ;) Then I pop off the oil filter and throw it into the trash can, and put the new one on. Then after the oil is done draining I replace the drain plug and torque to "Al spec's" and poor in the oil. Reset the idiot light and I'm on my way. ;D And with my truck I don't even have to jack it up. ;)

Comment

So it came up in another thread but has merit as a question... Do you change your own Oil?

On average I don't in my daily driver... just don't care ... Personally there isn't much to learn there... my race cars, hot rods, bikes... sure I want to feel the oil look in the bottom of the pan... and generally see the Oil that comes out of them... but the other stuff I have virtually zero interest in...

How bout You?

Keith ( Yep I'm that Lazy )
                              lolol, yup, that's me. When I was younger I would always change my own. Now, I don't want to touch my daily driver. It's strictly for transportation and I really don't care about it and don't want to get my hands dirty on it. Now my Vega, that's a hole different story.
                              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I guess I just like the fact that they check EVERYTHING in 10 minutes... top up all my fluids... do the tires, rear end oil... so on and so forth... for me it's more a matter of them doing the things I simply wouldn't during a normal oil change...

Never had a single issue in 15 yrs of using these guys....

K
                                I was in a hurry to get on the road to make a race, and had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube (ONCE!!!). After the usual arguments about why I DIDN'T need new air filter, ant-freeze, fuel filter (they took the sob off, and and then gave me a hard time when I told them to put it back on!!) etc, etc, I got 10 miles down the road and noticed the truck was running hot. Pulled over, opened the hood, an NO RADIATOR CAP!!!!. Drove back and gave them hell!! That was 15 years ago, and no matter how short on time I am, I'm gonna do it myself!
                                Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X