need help Hooking up Brake Controller for car trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help Hooking up Brake Controller for car trailer

I have decided to buy a car trailer! I would like a winch so if I want to buy a cars that's not running its easier to drag home ;D I saw this winch but I think it maybe designed for a 4 wheeler on sale today only, for $99 says its a 3000 lb winch. What is minimum size needed to load a car on a trailer?

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Re: need help picking winch for car trailer

a car that rolls is easier than a car that has to slide on locked up brakes or a busted axle or something.

I have a manual two speed winch on my trailer, for as little as I used the winch - it works fine - a bit of a work out though.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Same here, manual 2 speed winch.

I just leave it on low, high may be faster, but low & slow does it for me. Even drug a couple cars up on it with 3 wheels locked.

Those don't steer well, by the way. Tend to slide to one side or the other of the trailer.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

3000 lb is probably enough - you can always get a snatch block to double the line pulling power. Keep in mind that 3k is for the first roll of line, the last roll is probably close to 1500 lbs.

that one does have the right feature - worm drive.... the other style have to use an external brake - and they are never terribly reliable for holding something in place (like 1/2 way up the ramp).
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I wondered what the strength of the winches were.

I was on the side of the highway recently, and a flatbed truck got me home...
          the surpise was when he asked me to stay in the car as he ramped it up rather steeply, to steer and catch brakes...all within a foot of the break down lane. some quick thoughts of worst case cable snapping scenarios, as he utilized a rather steep angle for a jacked up old subaru ... up on the trailer before I knew it. :D

the leverage factor got me. if a car is 2500 pounds and on a steep angle... one must have to go more weight rating for cable right? I had no worries, this rig could slug a truck up onto it..but did wonder for a few moments as hurricanes worth of tractor trailers went by.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a single speed manual winch on my car trailer, it works ok, but it is a lot of work to load a heavy vehicle. I have a snatch block on it too, I used it the last time I loaded something, usually I don't. I must be getting old.

If you have an electric winch on your trailer, then you have to deal with a battery somehow....or wiring on the truck to send high current 12v back there.

With a manual winch you just have to make sure you have the crank handle with you (if it's removable)
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have a 8000 lb harbor freight winch($350 on sale) I just carry a spare battery with me . Have not found a car or truck I could not load up. Plus no sweat.

Comment

so on the manual winch is there something to look for ratio? pull rating?

My idea on the electric winch is to get a deep cycle battery and a solar battery tender as the ultimate goal.

I think I am going to go ahead and get it while its on sale, I figure I can sell it at a small lose.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Electric winches are wonderful. Watch out, sometimes that rating is with a snatch block. Go figure.

You don't need much, 3000# is fine. For power, string an old jumper cable from the car battery along the frame (or whatever) to the rear, with terminals from the stereo shop squeezed on instead of clamps. Hook it up only when you are needing it.

Just my opinion...probably when my winch breaks down I'll just get one of those manual ones. "Come-A-Longs" have no place loading cars...I used them for years then had two failures within a few months. One of those cost me more than the electric winch I bought immediately afterward.

Comment

3000 is a lot and if it's for realy, it will easily pull a car / truck up the ramps if the car will roll. Longer ramps help if it's over-rated. A trailer box is a good investment if you don't have one- it's a nice place to keep your straps and the battery. A deep cycle will work great and cover numerous loads.

A bolt on trailer hitch bumper mount plate on the front of the trailer and then a trailer tongue mount for your winch will let you store the winch in the locking trailer box, which also keeps it out of the rain (and out of sight to keep basically honest folks honest). I'd think about a marine battery box between the trailer box and the jack if there is enough room. I'm thinking the winch / battery and four straps would fit in a trailer box.

Comment

I've been meaning to put a box on my trailer to store crap in...but I can't bring myself to do it, because I always seem to be loading things that end up where the box would go!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Well I went a head and ordered the ATV winch. If it works great, if not I will keep it (may end up with another 4 wheeler some day) or put on CL.

if all goes well I am going to pick up this trailer this afternoon!

16' Carson "California Hauler" Trailer

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          With a manual winch you just have to make sure you have the crank handle with you (if it's removable)
                          That's the reason mine is in Low range all the time.

I welded the handle on. Let's see someone steal it now. Winch is welded to the stand as well.

;D
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Not a bad price on an entry level open deck trailer. Brakes are a must and it shouldn't weigh 1500 empty. I recommend buying more winch than you think you'll need. The harbor freight one is a good example, we recently picked up the 10,000lb one for the enclosed trailer, mounted it on a receiver for quick removal in case it is needed for winter pull outs this year. On the open trailer we use an 8000lb Ramsey winch, that along with a 1000 CCA battery on the tongue pulls anything we need up on the trailer.
                            GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

My winch is removable - it's on a I beam pedestal bolted in at the bottom and cables run back from it to the tongue to oppose the winch load so the pedestal doesn't bend.

It has to sit high to clear the tilt when it's up.... not an ideal set up.

I agree with the trailer box - hopefully lockable if security is a concern - good place to keep tie downs, flashlight, gloves, etc.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X