Why Auto Magazines are in Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Auto Magazines are in Decline

Sorry, the original thread on this topic disappeared while I was giving my .02 cents . . . . ???

-----------------------------------
    There is no doubt that circulation has declined in real numbers and as a percentage of the overall population (1/3 more Americans and 1/3 fewer paying customers).

There's no doubt that the revenue streams are more difficult now (fewer ads from automakers; tobacco ad ban, etc.).

There's also no doubt that the tortured ownership history of the SIM magazines in the post-Petersen era hasn't helped. It created huge debt. It lead to increased reliance on freelancers (often with close ties to advertising) and greatly reduced staffs. It has caused oversolicitation for subscriptions.

Undoubtedly the rise in the internet has poached sales from magazines of all types, including car magazines.

But while current magazine content may be properly criticized for being (1) too advertiser-driven and (2) sometimes lacking in technical substance, that ignores the fundamental problem in the business: not enough potential customers. The half-century war against home auto mechanics and grassroots high-performance has taken its toll. Blame the insurance companies, the OEMs, the schools, the manufacturing sector, the lawyers, the environmentalists and a host of others for the decline.

Don't believe me? Let's compare then with now:

During the "salad days" of auto magazine publishing, thousands of youngsters were trained by the U.S. military and/or the public schools in mechanical trades. Now only a small percentage receive such training.

Back then, millions of U.S. jobs were in the manufacturing sector or farming, many of which helped develop skills transferrable to hot rodding. Now, we're a nation of importers with only small factions of the population still involved in manufacturing or agriculture.

Back then, nearly every car was RWD and V8s were everywhere. Now, the number of affordable RWD V8 automobile models being build can be counted on one hand (with a few missing fingers).

Back then, most automotive systems were mechanical and intuitive. Now, most systems are far more complex and require expensive tools and training to troubleshoot and effectively modify.

Back then, just about anyone with a dream and a few hundred dollars could go into the speed equipment business. Now, it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars, a room full of EPA and/or foreign trade experts, an "intellectural property" expert, and probably a products liability lawyer on retainer.

Back then, some hard-core racers could literally run somewhere every night of the week. All this action led to a "trickle down" in interest and parts development. Now its hard to find places and sponsorship to run more than once or twice a week and the number of active racers continues to decline.

I could go on, but by now you should see the point: Readership declines are the function of long-term changes in the market, not just whether or not some DF clone is publishing outrageous JY build stories.

Re: Why Auto Magazines are in Decline

kids are too smart today to get low paying mechanics jobs

Comment

back then had to make parts to fit their application.

today, modern manufacturing has allowed production of limited runs at reasonable prices. of course it's easy to blame the lawyers, epa, the government, immigration, integration, or the fact the sky is a different shade of blue.... but the problem is their own success - they build cars that develop tons of hp for not much money.

400 hp in the 80s was a good number, 400 hp is the slowest selling performance car number now.

I believe in the laziness principle: That we only innovate to aid in moving less.

I can buy parts for less then it would cost for me to make them. Why would I make them? so that the backward cap wearing clan can point out that I could have gotten a better result of 10% of the money by simply buying the part? I put disk brakes on the front of my Buick - assembled all the parts from a variety of sources, and only bought the upper control arms - only cost me about 20% more then if I'd simply bought from SSBC.

So really, where's the incentive to do it for yourself. I assembled a car for my first car, and got really good at swapping heads to keep it running.... now, I don't have to - so why would I?

Magazines follow that trend, they seem to really hate it when someone points out that their project with the custom spindles, home-fabbed control arms, and self-bent sway bars handles like a home-built soap box racer.... technology has increased the distance between home builders and manufactured cars - and we're better for it. Magazines are following that trend, and becoming more segmented, HR Deluxe being a good example of the tread. Really, I can't tell the difference between CC PHR and HR - so what? they simply will merge to handle that segment.

So please bemoan the fate of the craftsman buggy whip builder... me? I'll be out enjoying the fact I can get a car that has more capabilities then I do, gets great fuel economy, has A/C, and really is a set of rims away from being perfect.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Magazines that don't appear to be in decline (strictly from the point of pages published):

5.0 Mustang
        MM&FF
        Street Rodder
        Car and Driver
        Grassroots Motorsports
        Classic Motorsports
        D-Sport
        Drag Racer
        Racecar Engineering
        Race Tech

Amongst others.

Is it because they are serving a more targeted clientele?

By the way, Buick, I agree with everything you say. But does that impact magazine sales? Seems to me that those manufacturers offering those products would be advertising. Thereby supporting magazines.

Artist, damn, I forgot about the costs associated with the financing and refinancing post-Petersen. Big nut to cover. And the disassociation of the "youts" of today from automotive pursuits is very real. We can't get kids to help with the race team. Including my two.

Observing the program at University of Northwestern Ohio gave me some hope. What a great group, I just wish we could send them out to preach to their peers.

Bob

Comment

I was going to say what about GRM or the Koolhouse publications? Is magazine readership in that big of a decline or is it that the readers have moved to other rags and just dont buy every one thats on the stand ?

Comment

good reading here.
            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by nosnerd

good reading here.
              I agree, much better than the other thread. But I would kinda like to see what and whom (although I can probably guess) led to it's demise. Train wreck thing.

Comment

I just look at the pictures
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I really don't mean to side track here I really don't.
                  But I like the On the cheap stuff.
                  I don't have OOBER amounts of money laying around and if I did I would flip to the advertisers in the back of the Magazine.
                  But Until then I will be looking for Information on how to squeeze every ounce of hp out of my car on the cheap(whether its from a junkyard, swap meet, craigslist, ebay, or what have you). And still have money leftover to take my wife out for a steak and buy friends a beer every now and again.
                  I understand Magazines have to keep certain people happy (advertisers) by throwing their name out there when doing an install, I don't have a problem with that at all. My problem ( very small one too don't read too much into it) is with some of these higher dollar builds, I like seeing these cars for my someday what ifs, and ideas for I wonder if I could do that with my shoestring and bubble gum budget. But I personally would like to see some more of the Junkyard stuff. Like what heads are good heads, What to look for. that type of thing.
                  And It doesn't have to be a full build but just keep a budget car a budget car. It just seems like the budget cars start well then they get afr headed and vortec fed.....
                  RANT OVER
                  I didn't want to get off track but Here is my point I am 26. I am just starting to get into cars seriously and I enjoy learning.
                  I want to learn to crawl before I run.....
                  Jeff
                  Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin v2

good reading here.
                    I agree, much better than the other thread. But I would kinda like to see what and whom (although I can probably guess) led to it's demise. Train wreck thing.
                    funny how it's a good read and great topic when someone else post the same dam thing I did..
                    BTW where is my thread

Comment

I never saw yours. Did you start to use complete sentences and spel chekr?
                      Anyways, I try to make alot of my own parts and piece together alot. My only reward is pride in my workmanship. I only get one of the listed magazines. Seems they have been running low buck upgrades and improvements for about a year. Maybe explains their sales?

Originally posted by Tazracing
                      Originally posted by Pumpkin v2

good reading here.
                      funny how it's a good read and great topic when someone else post the same dam thing I did..
                      BTW where is my thread

Comment

My first car was front wheel drive, fuel injected, and had lots of computers. I bet it was as fast or faster then most of the 60s muscle cars in their time. The car was cheap, fun to drive, and intimidating to work on at first because I had no idea what I was doing. But just like teenagers in the 60s and 70s, I figured it out. Now when something goes wrong on my cars or truck, I hook it up to a scanner and it tells me the possibilities that are wrong. Then I fix it. This isn't harder, just different. Hell, I still don't understand a carburetor. Those things don't make any sense to me.

It's all just perspective.

Comment

disturbing that the clean hands mags are so popular , the only reason I used to subscribe to the was they were 3.00 a year from the neighbor's kid hs magazine drive

Comment

Print media in general is on the decline. Magazines and newspapers don't have the readership they once had due to electronic media and as a result, the ad money is drying up. Because of shrinking ad revenues, the magazines get thinner and thinner (seen Car Craft lately?) and the readers left go on to other titles that specifically go after their interests.

Even the bookstores (Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc...) are struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                              Magazines that don't appear to be in decline (strictly from the point of pages published):

5.0 Mustang
                              MM&FF
                              Street Rodder
                              Car and Driver
                              Grassroots Motorsports
                              Classic Motorsports
                              D-Sport
                              Drag Racer
                              Racecar Engineering
                              Race Tech

Amongst others.

Is it because they are serving a more targeted clientele?

By the way, Buick, I agree with everything you say. But does that impact magazine sales? Seems to me that those manufacturers offering those products would be advertising. Thereby supporting magazines.

Artist, damn, I forgot about the costs associated with the financing and refinancing post-Petersen. Big nut to cover. And the disassociation of the "youts" of today from automotive pursuits is very real. We can't get kids to help with the race team. Including my two.

Observing the program at University of Northwestern Ohio gave me some hope. What a great group, I just wish we could send them out to preach to their peers.

Bob
                              I think you raise some good points. I'd disagree that some of the magazines are healthier than they were, though. For example, MM&FF used to be nearly 300 pages back in the late CSK days. Street Rodder also used to be a tad fatter (although it has prospered under the merger fever that ulitmately led to the "unholy" merger of Petersen titles with their arch competitors, such as McMullin (Street Rodder) and Argus (PHR, Super Chevy).

Tim Suddard's books (GRM, Classic Motorsports) have small circulation (compared to C&D. R&T, HRM etc.) but they've traditionally been some of the best "bang for the buck" out there. GRM has also nurtured the on-line community better than SIM. And GRM has always kept close to its readers with events like the 20xx Challenge.

Racecar Engineering and Race Tech have tiny circulation and small page counts relative to their lofty newsstand and subscription prices. But they're so specialized (cutting-edge racing tech) that they've prospered. Besides, the Brits generally seem to be more serious about motor racing than we are.

The various Hemmings titles appear to be bucking some of the headwinds as well. Of course they've got lot of names on the mastheads to feed, so who knows about how profitable they are.

Although the trends toward niche publishing and "narrowcasting" if you will have challenged the general circulation automotive titles, it coesn't mean that overall automotive sector magazine readership is higher. In fact, many of the niche titles are purchased by the same "grey beards" who fork over for HRM, PHR, CC, R&C.

"Hooking" the next generation in sufficient numbers is going to be the real challenge.

Originally posted by just_james
                              My first car was front wheel drive, fuel injected, and had lots of computers. I bet it was as fast or faster then most of the 60s muscle cars in their time. The car was cheap, fun to drive, and intimidating to work on at first because I had no idea what I was doing. But just like teenagers in the 60s and 70s, I figured it out. Now when something goes wrong on my cars or truck, I hook it up to a scanner and it tells me the possibilities that are wrong. Then I fix it. This isn't harder, just different. Hell, I still don't understand a carburetor. Those things don't make any sense to me.

It's all just perspective.
                              But FWD cars ARE harder to work on. They ARE more complex. And they tend not to be as easy to figure out as those cars the teens in earlier times built in much larger numbers than folks are actually building analogous FWDs today. Hence the explosion in "faux tuning" (body kits, dubs, giant audio systems, useless wings, etc.) Moreover, emissions-compliant performance parts are much more expensive, which basic economics suggests will adversely affect demand.

It's true enough that modern technology can be harnessed to make cars easier to diagnose and better performing than in the old days. But there are simply a lot fewer brave souls who want to "get their hands dirty" now and the learning curve for serious performance is arguably much steeper than when great-grandpa was porting and relieving his flathead so he could "drag" main.

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              disturbing that the clean hands mags are so popular , the only reason I used to subscribe to the was they were 3.00 a year from the neighbor's kid hs magazine drive
                              We'll probably see a growing divide here. Unless there's a bigger than expected backlash against automobile pollution (which I don't expect), we should see some growth in the "clean hands" magazines and perhaps some slight growth in the "hard core" niche titles (serious tech and anti-establishment/nostalgia). It's the vast middle of mainstream hot rodding magazines that appear to be most at risk. They probably won't disappear. But circulation numbers will be a fraction of what they were at their peak.

A more disturbing trend ought to be that HRM and other "big" magazines are becoming too "clean hands" themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X