Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the absolute cheapest way to 1000hp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the absolute cheapest way to 1000hp?

However you look at it, you have to build the long block pretty much the same to make 1000hp. So the only question here is which is cheaper, using nitrous or Boost.

Comment

back in 97..we ran a 69 camaro with a (real) LS7...270/278....714 roller...dart 320s, a 1050 and a Big Shot plate with a a.093 jet...it prob made at the most 950 on a a good day...

old school TRWs have no problem with a .110 jet.. ;D..but i did break it... : my fault..
      "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        if you could hook up a 1000 hp car - the 7 second barrier is coming up
        depends on the car and the weight...

my 3500lbs nova makes 798..plus a 200 shot...should be good for 8.80s..my combo is not perfect (converter,gears)..but i don't care....on a 29 inch W....its gonna be a ride...
        "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone
          Hey guys. Caveman Tony was the guy asking about aero earlier. My guess he is looking for a Bonneville motor.
          So think in that direction not 6 seconds at a time.

Nick
          You my friend, are a very astute dude. Nice guess.

Wow, I'm astounded at the attention here... didn't think this would blow up. Cool. Good debate.

So, the rig this sucker goes in is still up for debate. Assume bad aero, and crappy traction.
          I would drag it, for fun and to shake the bugs out, but I wouldn't be concerned with 60-foot times.

As a guy with a new job, I am formerly of the DIY club, and am working towards being a checkbook hotrodder, now that I have no friggin' time to do any of the things I used to. Damn job.

So, that being said, 1000hp is a lofty goal on a budget... but if I can stay under budget, and maybe come close reliably, now wouldn't that be fun?

Modified or Blown Modified Pickup is a cool place to be, but a challenge with cinder-block aero. I'm guessing with a different aero package ( a muuuuch better one) 700hp would get me near 200. Worse aero = need a bit more motor.

BBF 557 kit = ~$2k for kit only.
          BBC 565 kit = ~$2650 kit only.

Both quotes from SpeedOmotives website.

$2-3k buys a lot of turbo, don't it? What would a stock stroke BBC/BBF do with a single or twin setup?

Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

It hasn't come up here, but alternative 3 would be a big centrifugal supercharger, (ProCharger F2 or 3?) on a blow through E85 set-up like Eric68 does. Same decent BBC/BBF long block. Again, I'm ignorant on details but a 600-650 HP N/A build with 9:1 compression ought to be just fine at 14-16 PSI and make 1100 with the F# and the E85 carb? See DF/Turk's LSR Camaro for proof of the efficacy of the centrifugal/BBC set-up.

BTW Camaro still isn't a word in the spell check tool. There is a God.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

the 572 camaro motor with the blower is nice, when you can keep the belt and hose on it

Even without the blower it makes plenty of go fast.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It is one LOUD sonofabitch too!

Was cool to help fiddle with it at Loring.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by hairysox33
                  The 2JZ's regularly see 1000hp. Talk about give my left nut for a fully built supra. :
                  Ever see Supra girl on YB.com? There is a fully built Supra!

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill
                    It hasn't come up here, but alternative 3 would be a big centrifugal supercharger, (ProCharger F2 or 3?) on a blow through E85 set-up like Eric68 does. Same decent BBC/BBF long block. Again, I'm ignorant on details but a 600-650 HP N/A build with 9:1 compression ought to be just fine at 14-16 PSI and make 1100 with the F# and the E85 carb? See DF/Turk's LSR Camaro for proof of the efficacy of the centrifugal/BBC set-up.

BTW Camaro still isn't a word in the spell check tool. There is a God.
                    don't think this is an option as e85 isn't avail in N.J.

Comment

• Re: What is the absolute cheapest way to 1000hp?

Caveman Tony,
                      Go to http://tinyurl.com/3yveef5
                      You can calculate the HP needed for a given speed at the salt.

Nick

Comment

• Re: What is the absolute cheapest way to 1000hp?

clearly the cheapest way to 1000 HP is to take that 1000 HP 'vette from the other post and don't come back form the test drive. That or a Bugatti Veyron. I'm thinking they might not let me test drive that one.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                        X