I've Got Pool Figured Out - Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Got Pool Figured Out - Finally

We got our pool table last January and there has only been a mere handful of days when I didn't come home from work and immediately start shooting pool, or days off when I didn't get up and start shooting pool, shooting pool until I get tired FROM shooting pool, not tired OF shooting pool.

Early on, I labeled it indoor golf. I mean, it feels good to make a shot, and feels bad when you don't. Golf. And pool is a whole lot cheaper after the initial investment. Same thing. Indoor golf.

But let's study it: With golf you hit a round ball that's sitting still. You hit the round ball with a flat thing. Chances are, if you can swing the flat thing the same way every time, and you have enough talent and practice to begin with, you can make the round ball go more or less where you want it to. Most times. More often than not. With practice and natural skill.

Okay, baseball. In this case the ball is coming at you 70 - 90 mph and you have to swing a round thing to hit the round ball. Which is why if you can get it right one third of the time, you can go to the hall of fame. No wonder. A study in frustration at best. No surprise the game is so boring to watch from the stands. It nearly can't be done the majority of times tried.

Football. Field goal kickers. That's often compared to golf by the talkers. But the ball is goofy-shaped, and you have to hit it with your foot, which is also goofy-shaped. Kickers (good ones) may be the most talented of all ball-sports artists. There's no explaining how they can do that with any consistency at all, but they do.

So, pool. It's cheaper than golf and can be played in all weather since it's indoors. You're using a flat thing to hit a round ball that's standing still. Then in turn the object is to propel that round ball into another round ball and make that one go where you want.

Now, you've got a flat thing and two round balls. Bets are off. No matter how much you practice. I just figured that out. It took nearly a year. I just thought I'd pass that along.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets
Working...
X