Which Power Adder is the most legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Power Adder is the most legit?

We often hear guys saying, "Nitrous is cheating. It's just too easy!" or "Who couldn't make 1000hp with a set of twin turbos?"

What do you think?

Which power adder is the most legit? Or do you think it is all motor or nothing?

Vote for which one is most legit to have. And since all of you are going to ask what power level we are talking about, let's use 1000hp as the example number. We aren't going to get into a specific engine size or any of that. You are on your own to make a decision.

None-All Motor or Nothing!
    0%
    Nitrous
    0%
    Turbo(s)
    0%
    Roots Blower
    0%
    Centrifugal Supercharger
    0%
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Re: Which Power Adder is the most legit?

"most legit" stumped me.
    I went with all motor for this reason. legit as in everyday, by laws, not scaring old people and babies and wobbling like a harlley in the suburbs.

but 1000 hp needs turbos/boost.

I take back my illegit vote for turbos...except I canlt now, because I am too late. ???
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Depends on the car, and what it's gonna be used for. They all have their place.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think this is senseless rabble rousing. What is legit? Why are people obsessed with 1000Hp? I'll never see it in any form.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Being that you already said that about turbos, I will go with nitrous. Because if we are talking about being on the street and picking a race, just looking at motor with no blowers or turbos and the engine is assembled properly, nitrous will do the job.
          I voted nitrous, but hey thats just my opinion.

Comment

Given that we're talking power adders, I have to go with turbo(s). I currently have N2O on the Buzz Bomb and it's cool and all but I've already learned that the bottle runs out. A decent turbo set up will be there for the life of the car assuming the systems are set up correctly. Durability is a HUGE thing to me.

Dan

Comment

Legit? A 1000 hp is a 1000 hp. If you can make and drive it on the street, you're legit in any book. Who gives a turkey over other people's personal prejudices against a particular way of making power?

I think the most intimidating is a good ole roots blower blocking your view of the street. That whine. That big belt spinning above the hood line. Those carb linkages flipping back and both. That thunderous exhaust.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All throttle

no bottle
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Turbos for me but I've got an engine that one was OEM equipment on. I've also driven an OEM roots blown car (Regal GS) daily and it's cool for power and simplicity to a level but a turbo has it covered on the efficiency part pretty well.
                  Roots would be my second choice because when it comes to the legacy of forced induction, turbos and the roots have it down. GE experimented with turbos following WWI and hotrodders found roots blowers around the same time. CSc is a distant 3rd because they were OEM but never really caught on.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

turbo(s)

and i have nitrous on my car....

Charles

Comment

It would be a lot easier to say what the least legit is. I'm not a big nitrous fan, not that I wouldn't use it, but it seems like too many people put it on because they can't go fast any other way.

I love big HP N/A motors but they can be a little difficult for every day driving.

I can't deny the power of roots blowers but they just seem to...showy i guess, to me.

Centrifugal blowers are great. the only reason I picked them second is cause they eat hp to use them.

I've been liking turbo's lately. You can have a mild mannered car that your girlfriend can drive, but when you get on it, it's all there. Thats my choice
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

It's a hard choice they all have their place. I keep thinking about a turbo ls for the daily commute, but I want to add an 871 to the camaro for handing out beatings.
                        Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Whatever I'm flogging at the time.

Comment

NA is great if you have to meet some class rule that won't let you run a power adder.

Roots gets it done, simple, effective, the torque is always there. Top fuelers use them, and they're the quickest cars there are.

Centrifugal blowers let you make postitive boost without showing it to the world.

Turbos are great if you have some strange reason to limit your engine size, they make a little engine work big.

Nitrous is the fast and easy way to go quick. It comes at a long term price, but it sure fills the need for speed for lots of folks.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the one that puts another notch in the "W" column....
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X