1977-84 oldsmobile 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977-84 oldsmobile 98

I spotted one while trucking, appears to be early 80s... only error from a distance was the front drivers side below blinker, odd little chunk missing..

$1250 :o

I went back that way in my car, strangely noone was there on this weekday, guy is a car dealer.

I opened the door and flashed back to when I was 15 in 1988, my first road going car was a delta88. Knowing I had grown a foot at least since then, the dash is not so big anymore, but still big to todays standards. Sitting deep into soft seats that care about elderly, I did not sink as far. I do not need power windows..could reach over to passenger and roll it down myself..but has them anyway. I remember the sounds they made.

I think I am going to go back and truly inquire. I do not know what mid life crisis is...but that car sure gave me a feeling I have never had.

I knew they kept to bop motors, I like all of them but the v6. This model I found was a four door with wheel skirts, many accessories (allof them) including the rare cruise that knows to throttle on the hills. I assume 307, 350, 403... front sits down low.. so narrowed it down to 350, 403...

will find out soon enough. ;)

113k obvious for now on the 5 digit odom... 213k is a serious possible on te big olds sedans. would you check it out? or should I just pipe down the feelings of getting older and continue to pounce around in a ten geared subaru at 45mpg?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Re: 1977-84 oldsmobile 98

If it had skirts its an 80 or newer.
    These were either 307's or diesels .They arent power houses but they run good and are a well built car.
    Look for rot around the doors top and bottom and around the gas tank as well as the tank itself. Drive it feel
    for tranny slop too. Open the trunk look for wet spots and look down in the wells on the sides of the trunk for rot.

Should look like this,see what I mean about the doors.

Comment

the 403 that came in those cars was the engine of choice for the bomber enduro racers at Manzanita
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I had a 77 Olds 98 I used as a beater.Bought it for $50 with a blown Olds 350. I then bought a good running 76 Pontiac Catalina with a rusty body (for $75),and swiped the 400 CI / auto and stuffed it into the Olds 98,using all GM stuff. The Olds had power everything to boot. I also installed Toronado front springs,and Olds 98 Wagon rear coils. I put this together back around 1989-1990. Long before raised boxes and donks were popular. Since I live in the snow belt,I always raise my beaters so I don't get hung up in deep snow. Ground clearance is half the battle on drifted roads. My most recent winter beater is a 79 Impala wagon,the" Hooptasarous"which is lifted of course. I guarantee I have the only lifted and 79 Impala wagon for miles around!

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
          If it had skirts its an 80 or newer.
          These were either 307's or diesels .They arent power houses but they run good and are a well built car.
          Look for rot around the doors top and bottom and around the gas tank as well as the tank itself. Drive it feel
          for tranny slop too. Open the trunk look for wet spots and look down in the wells on the sides of the trunk for rot.

Should look like this,see what I mean about the doors.

No seek of the hot rod for me.. good info about engine. The diesel has ovcious labels, and the footprints of carbins..this one must be 307?
          I wanted the 307 I thumped around in a cutlass, it never wanted to be a manic engine, opposite a big bore little stroke chevy.. yet four barrel really went to work.. adult contrast. I just want the slow thump cadillac like that I remember. I loved the delta88 I had, even the 301 was made to be calm... almost like the timing is retarded sending it deep into the cylinders... a sense of running for a half million miles cool and collected...and the fuel is equal to some of the little awd ricers of today. :

I am arguing myself into going to the place I found it and ask some questions this week sometime.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

307 th350 or o/d depending on year

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
              307 th350 or o/d depending on year
              I did some searching, the last I heard of a 307 was a friends and he gave up. there was even electronics making an ass out of it.

I found a 7111 intake, edlebrock, needs port match. No egr, not even a spot for it.. I do not like heat rise, and have some silent ideas.
              a 600 holley, no mods...

and remembering to scrap the rubber cam driven pump, and plate it...
              5 psi anything, and make a return.

hei is always good, and those years had a "5a" stamped head versus the little one my friend gave up on .even after cleaning it up, egr delete.. wow. A real dog.. I assumed it needed a tear down clean. EGR here is absolutely horrifyng, and even nuclear stories on young engines.
              there is literally none left. I had an 80s monte daily in 1996.. and it was already "rare" (that is just 12 years old back then)

not all dead, my idea for getting one of these going...

I assume the car will be there for sometime. Heading for the brunt of winter (4f in coming days) now is not a very smart time.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

I've got a soft spot for any of the B-body coupes '77-'86. I'd jump if it's solid enough.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

307 Y and 9 sucked eggs

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    307 Y and 9 sucked eggs
                    imagine flooring it and not quite keeping speed on a hill.

that was ashame. Do not have to stay there however..

that little head version really was a permanent nuisance.. it did throw good heat (of course it was roasting in its own pig :, great in snow.
                    kinda like that 260, or 262...in fact, those may have done better. ???

I have a simple goal of daily quiet... thebigger chassis forced a better thump anyway (and with bigger heads). The 307 in a delta88 is the very first I saw of an engine going for 3 times over on the 5 digit odom... a guru got to it of course, no egr etc.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

307 Y and 9 sucked eggs
                      What he said.

The 350 and 403, shit even the 400 and 425/455 are a bolt in deal.

Comment

TOO FUNNY...my first post high school ride after my baja bug and Merc was a 1977 Olds Delta 88 that 2 door boat was sweat. It was bought by my mom brand new. She wouldnt let me lower it so I CHAINED the suspension down.It had smoked lexan covers for the headlights. Chrome directional saw blades. And 4 12" subs with 4 660 watt Zapco amps....the speedometer would hit 30mph when I'd crank Run DMC's TRICKY or LaTrimm's We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM......ah the good ole days.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"It's Tricky" by Run DMCListen to Run DMC: https://RunDMC.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the official Run DMC YouTube channel: https://RunDMC.lnk.to/subscribeYD...
                        The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                          307 Y and 9 sucked eggs
                          What he said.

The 350 and 403, shit even the 400 and 425/455 are a bolt in deal.
                          and the diesel.

I did spot the hack job chevy swap, it is not difficult. Just gimme the gm body, you'll have to ask waht is under the hood eventually. :
                          Upon looking back, I actually like the bop motor fits better than chevies in a chevy.. as if the chevy let the mounts dangle incomplete.

.. and being an early 80s.. I wonder if they slipped a 200 r4? must be too early for that one, but also a great mellow v8 keeper.

the 307 was simply pigged, like the 305. I was frustrated enough with 305s to get asked if it was 5.7 by newbs, by the time I was done with them. just simply cool and clean top end, respect the little venturi with a 600...
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

I wouldn't expect to see a 200R4 until at least '84 or '85.
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                            X