Reminder to stay safe on winter roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reminder to stay safe on winter roads

the ford isn't the problem in the snow..
    the lead foot and the "all season proformance tires"
    there is a reason tire rack sells tons of snow tires even with 98% of cars having "all season tires"
    what psi are the tires at . set them to the owners manual. not all at 32 psi
    if you bent something, and it sounds like you did, it'll be even worse in the snow and ice..
    just because it drives straight doesn't mean you didn't bend stuff.

Comment

I put snows on my 2001 focus zx3 s2, they were noisy on dry pavement - but man did they make a HUGE difference in the snow.

I know you don't want to put money into your daily driver Walt - but since you already have to buy one - I'd encourage you to buy a second for the front - snow tires.... up where you're going to school - there's a need for them.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        powerslides-donuts ..go in parking lots and rearranging the cars ..I always have fun in the whitestuff ..never buy snow tires
        same here, i drift all the time in the snow with all my cars (except the mustang, thats a bit much)

my parents 84 cutlass with the 3.8v6 is awesome for drifting in the snow though ;D

Comment

Drifting a 7000lb 21ft long crew cab long box is interesting... need lots of room to make it happen! ;D

I used to try to carry everything with me to fix every possible problem on the road - now I make sure I have a cell phone that works, and my AAA card - thanks for the tip Seth!

Comment

Welcome to the UP Walt, sorry about the tire bro. WE got 14 inches last night, and are supposed to get another 12 here shortly. No storms have moved through here, its all lake effect. All you need is a breeze blowing across the lake and carrying the moisture over cooler land and poof, you have feet of snow in a matter of hours.

My GTO is slowly disappearing under the white blanket of isolation.

PRO TIP: Eagle F1 285 45 ZR17s are not good in snow. The 98 Formula will not move with any snow on the ground. It has to be parked for the winter before the first one hits.

If you get bored up there on a weekend, and the weather isnt too bad, stop by we can do some welding in the shop. Got plenty of shipping pallets to heat the place.

Comment

The first time we got snow when I had my '70 mach1 (first car) I put it in reverse and let the clutch out as normal.

The radial TA's just spun, the car didn't move an inch.

Comment

Well, if nothing else is messed up, it's going to cost me $176 and change for two new BFGs mounted and balanced. Not to bad. The shop I am going to charges $5 a tire to mount and balance, which seems fair to me. The price on the tires seems pretty good also considering that everything is more expensive up here. I don't think I will have the Focus next year. If I were dealing with this much snow on flat roads, maybe. But Houghton is a giant valley, with some really steep hills that I absolutely have to be able to get up to get around. As much as I hate foreign cars, I think I might end up try to trade for an American-assembled Subaru. It's the only thing I see that would be economical enough to suit my needs, unless someone else has a better idea.

Comment

4x4 s10 blazer.
                  Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                    right after the first major snow every year northerners "forget" how to drive as well.

mainly the guys with 4x4 trucks that think there invinable behind the wheel
                    There's a lot of that here in Maine.

My boss at my last job was British (well, he probably still is, but this story takes place in the past) and he thought he was invincible when it snowed because he had a 4wd Pathfinder. He used to blow by me on the highway on the way to work when it was snowing.

Then one day he came off the highway, slid right through a stop sign and hit a fullsize GMC pickup. GMC: 1, Pathfinder: 0. Lesson learned. 4wd won't offer up a lot of help stopping or steering.

My Tahoe does well, but I leave a LOT of stopping room. It seems to require a runway to stop, even on dry pavement, ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by 82z
                      4x4 s10 blazer.
                      When hell freezes over.

I hate those things with a passion, plus they aren't going to get better that 20 on the highway. The vacuum actuated 4 wheel drive fails, and if the vacuum doesn't pull enough to engage it, it will wear away the engagement mechanism in the front diff.

Comment

Welcome to Houghton, where the men are men and the sheep know it:

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                          Originally posted by 82z
                          4x4 s10 blazer.
                          When hell freezes over.

I hate those things with a passion, plus they aren't going to get better that 20 on the highway. The vacuum actuated 4 wheel drive fails, and if the vacuum doesn't pull enough to engage it, it will wear away the engagement mechanism in the front diff.
                          The actuator is electric and has been since the mid 90s, they are cheap and do pretty well in the snow. The 92 I have is crap, but then again for $200 and drove it for 3 years before I loaned it to someone and they broke it, it doesnt owe me much.

Lots of snow the last couple days, still coming down, big honkin flakes... Marquette is full of idiots right now... Mot have Illinois plates.

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                            Welcome to Houghton, where the men are men and the sheep know it:

hahah thats a dusting

Comment

Its only the beginning... and it wont stop for a while yet....

Comment

4WD doesn't really help you turn or stop in the snow and slush. I'll take a shitcan with 4 good winter boots on it over a 4x4 any day, for regular winter driving in the snowbelt.

cheers
                                Ed N.
                                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X