Tool Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Talk

Looking for a cordless driver for my Dad for INSERT HOLIDAY OF CHOICE HERE. Looking to stay within a college kids budget. Any ideas?
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Re: Tool Talk

like a screwdriver ...they had the mccollough at the parts store for 35 bucks the other day , china doll

Comment

Yeah like a screw driver, except hes "old." He likes when the machine works for him, instead of him working for it.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

home depot
        potercable
        drill/saw/light/etc kit

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac
          Yeah like a screw driver, except hes "old." He likes when the machine works for him, instead of him working for it.
          Craftsman, $20.00

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Good call Brian. Not sure if he's looking for a drill type or just a driver. But hey more power is better right?
            Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

I bought this Ryobi One Plus 18V combo kit years ago on sale for $99. Best hundred bucks ever spent. I have used this kit like crazy and it is still going strong.

I'm sure you can find a similar holiday deal out there. It's almost not worth it to buy the driver alone because the kit gets so cheap. The flashlight is great. And the utility of the cordless sawzall is great too.

If you have a few extra bucks, upgrade to the Li Ion version. The Li Ion batteries last much longer. The two different types of batteries will interchange between the machines too, which is nice. The standard charger will not charge the Li Ion, but there is a separate charger that will charge either Li Ion or standard batteries.

there are a ton of other tools in the One Plus line (standard and Li Ion) that the batteries will work in. I have been eyeing the impact driver for a long time but haven't pulled the $69 trigger (yet).

The tool purists will poo-poo the brand, but this kit is cheap and has seen hard use for several years and is still going strong for me.
              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

We've got that Ryobi kit at work, golf course maintenence (read we abuse it), and its still running strong...good idea.
                Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

if your dad already has Dewalt cordless tools - get him a cordless impact.... dang those things are handy. plus, without the battery and charger they're in the $100 neighborhood.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

He's got everything, but everything he does have has a cord. Hes got a really nice sawzall from his work for being a 20 year employee, or some other milestone. Hes got a neat old corded drill that still works great, built our 14 X 28 deck with that sucker. A cordless impact would be nice considering all the home auto work he does. However he mentioned to me the other day he wanted a driver. This kit looks decent, and as I said above hes not really in need of a sawzall. http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
                    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

The ryobi stuff is very good for the money.I have the drill and impact.I use the heck out of both.Good bang for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac
                        We've got that Ryobi kit at work, golf course maintenence (read we abuse it), and its still running strong...good idea.
                        the porter cable kit looks like a nice set up..
                        and is on sale now..
                        homedepot/sears/lowes they all have kits on sale now..
                        I have a ryobi and a black and decker..
                        both still work.. b/d is 10y/o but is down on power..
                        look for one that getting an extra battery is not to costly..
                        once you go cordless , you'll find you need to batteries
                        both mine came with 2

Comment

I am an airtool guy

Comment

The impact driver is the best tool I own now when it comes to putting any type of screw in or out. I have the dewalt but they are all similar. The weight of the battery and how it feels in the hand is the most important item here.
                            Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

Working...
                            X