Three Hot Novas: The Wettstein Famly Racing Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Hot Novas: The Wettstein Famly Racing Team

As a drag racing announcer, I have seen tens of thousands of racecars make a pass down the strip. For the most part, the cars usually have some sort of distinguishing characteristic that sets them apart from each other. Occasionally, I see cars that are somewhat similar in appearance and do a bit of a double take to make sure I know whose car it is before I open my mouth and announce the wrong name. Sometimes it is more difficult...

Such is the case with the Wettstein family. As if keeping track of drivers' names and cars wasn't enough, Don, Jason and Brandon Wettstein of Garnett, KS have done their collective best to make it rough on any announcer who doesn't rely on the Compulink monitor for all his info. These guys built three gorgeous second generation Chevy Nova's that are extremely difficult to tell apart if they are not sitting right next to each other, and they bring all three of them to the track at the same time. Yeah, I have slipped up and called Jason by his dad's name when I saw the red blur leave the starting line. I have mistakenly identified Brandon as Jason, too. After looking over these absolutely stunning bowties, tell me you wouldn't do the same thing.

Don is the patriarch of the Wettstein clan and with the help of his sons, assembled his scarlet screamer in only 5 months time. Jason took his time and spent about 2 years to put together his red rocket. Brandon, knowing that the best things are always done at the last minute, showed ?em all how to get it done by finishing his crimson crusher in only three months! All cars feature small block Chevy power for reliability and parts interchangeability. They also share the same Powerglide / 9" Ford driveline. Don was quick to point out that the cars all were constructed with a blend of 1966 and 1967 pieces. This adds further to an announcer's anxiety in properly identifying these beasts.

I caught up with the Wettstein family at Heartland Park Topeka for the 2010 NHRA / Summit Division 5 ET Championships where all three drivers represented Team Kansas City International Raceway. This marked the first racing season that the family raced all three cars.They were very gracious and helpful in setting their cars up for the photos and it appeared they had a great time that weekend. I hope to see them all again soon!

Here's Don and his sweet Nova.

This is Jason and his pride & joy.

Here's Brandon's family entry.

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Three Hot Novas: The Wettstein Famly Racing Team

That is too cool Ron.

Well done!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: Three Hot Novas: The Wettstein Famly Racing Team

Thanks, Bruab. I figured we needed some hot cars to deal with this cold freakin' weather!

;D

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
      X