V8 Cummins on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Cummins on the way

It looks like we may be getting 1/2 ton diesels soon.

Allpar was recently told that the five-liter V8 Cummins diesel engine is currently being made. It is a quiet, high-rpm engine, redlining at over 5,000 rpm, and appears to be no noisier than a typical gasoline engine. Yet, it should achieve gas mileage "in the mid-20s" in half-ton trucks. The...

Allpar was recently told that the five-liter V8 Cummins diesel engine is currently being made. It is a quiet, high-rpm engine, redlining at over 5,000 rpm, and appears to be no noisier than a typical gasoline engine. Yet, it should achieve gas mileage ?in the mid-20s? in half-ton trucks. The initial rollout will be for military use, with passenger vehicles, possibly including GM?s Suburban, not due until model year 2013 or 2014.
    Not sure if I like the idea of a V8 Cummins. I also read that it could be in Ram 1500s as early as 2011, but this seems more likely.

Re: V8 Cummins on the way

Aw, man...I personally like the straight-six 5.9, I didn't want that to change..
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Well, it did. About 3 years ago. At least the 6.7 is still a straight 6, and the heavy duty Cummins will remain sixes, but this light duty V8 just aint the same.

Comment

wo,
        I could be a dodge fan in no time flat. :D

for military use has alot of stuff companies ignore.. starting there first is a great idea...don't even have to speak a selling point.

Recently I was wondering aobut an automatic rig (I am disabled in the leg).. I found this 400 cummins monster, automatic, used as a real rig...also military... and claimed to be 40ton capable. I guess cummins has been there for in the miltary for quite some time.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You sure about that, Boxer? From my experience:

HMMWV, CUCV (pre-'92): GM/DD 6.2-6.5
          FMTV, all range, Caiman MRAP: Caterpillar
          MaxxForce MRAP: Navistar
          920-series: Cummins
          HEMTT: DD

The Cummins motors in the 920-series are dogs in my opinion. They'll move your load but will underwhelm you. Personal preference is to the Cat motor in the FMTV series, a light turbo helps dramatically.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

WHY DON'T THEY USE A FINE ITALIAN ....IVECO ???
            Italian American motors

Comment

Its about time!
              I've been saying for years we need a 1/2 ton truck with a 400lb/ft of torque diesel.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what they have to do to get this to pass the tests of the nonsensical anti diesel epa nazi's.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I think the V8 is an overhead cam engine as well.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I will pay close attention to the guys who buy them first. Cummins' larger and more complex engines are not nearly as awesome as the 5.9/6.7 series, clearly it's best engine of theirs so far.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Wonder how quickly GM will blow the dust off of the "mini-max" 4.5L Duramax they had slated for 1/2-tons.

The twin turbo V6 F150 gas motor has some serious snot too.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        Wonder how quickly GM will blow the dust off of the "mini-max" 4.5L Duramax they had slated for 1/2-tons.
                        this!

GM did a damn fine job (with Isuzu) on the Duramax. Ask Gale Banks which engine he thinks has the most hotrodding potential, he says it's the Duramax over the Cummins...! If they followed that model for the babymax, it has the potential to be the diesel version of an LS.

The *entire* challenge must be our emissions laws. Y'all realize that Caterpillar said F*ck it and bowed out of the roadgoing diesel engine market (in the states!) altogether? that tells you how screwed up CARB and the EPA are. Europe, on the other hand, supposedly has a much more realistic (and less bogus) approach.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                          Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          this!

GM did a damn fine job (with Isuzu) on the Duramax. Ask Gale Banks which engine he thinks has the most hotrodding potential, he says it's the Duramax over the Cummins...! If they followed that model for the babymax, it has the potential to be the diesel version of an LS.

The *entire* challenge must be our emissions laws. Y'all realize that Caterpillar said F*ck it and bowed out of the roadgoing diesel engine market (in the states!) altogether? that tells you how screwed up CARB and the EPA are. Europe, on the other hand, supposedly has a much more realistic (and less bogus) approach.
                          DING DING DING we have a winner!
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'd love a mini max..
                            they should crate it to..
                            tons of old trucks just waiting for a diesel that doesn't require a mountain of a drivetrain behind it..

Comment

I'd imagine the first models to hit the showroom floors will have two things to spoil the deal:

-IFS (at minimum), dodge will probably keep the coils out back (fail!)
                              -$50k+ price tags.

The plus side is that nice used gas trucks might get more affordable for us "working poor."
                              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Working...
                              X