No announcement yet.

I don't want to be THAT GUY, but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I don't want to be THAT GUY, but.....

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      hah I have a few snap on ones, some are more direct than that one tho..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
          ya know, I think we found the real issue - family... you know those freeloaders that live within our walls and expect us to do their oil changes, build shelves for their canning jars, and always have the honey do list.... you know, the ones that really prevent us from working on our important stuff ;D
          (I dare you to run with this Stiney) ;D

by the way for those casual acquaintances who don't know my serious from funny - this is meant as HUMOR (whew).

You had to dare me.

You know, after busting my hump piecing this property (that she picked out, long story there too) we call home back together from decades of neglect, trying to keep my "honey-do" list down to just a couple of pages......

I decided to make a list of honey-do myself. For her. Just some nice little reminders of things that tend to be easily forgotten, you know, sweet reminders? After all, I'm an enlightened modern male, completely capable of taking care of myself, heck I can even manage to keep my 2 boys fed and clothed most of the time, along with myself! I can do laundry without ruining the stuff, make food that's palatable, etc, all while maintaining the vehicles and rebuilding the house at the same time, so what's wrong with writing some reminders of stuff?

Right?

By the way, the doctors say the list should be extractable - with minorly invasive surgery. I should be back to work on MY OWN list in about a week or two.....

:o
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Dude,I have gotten to the point that I am always making a mental note of the stuff used up in the daily favors projects and when they call about coming around I just tell them straight up what to bring to replenish the shop.
            Most of the people that use the shop are never bashfull about helping out when ever possible.
            Helped one buddy out with a buick and had him buy a sand blaster for the shop.
            Another buddy purchased a paint gun,so on and so on.

Hope it works out for you.Woody
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY

By the way, the doctors say the list should be extractable - with minorly invasive surgery. I should be back to work on MY OWN list in about a week or two.....

LMAO!!

Similiar experience, a buddy and I both have "better halfs" that run horse barns. After a rather lengthy and bewildering run of "honey-dos"...you know the ones, this is the priority, 75% gets done and then the priority changes only to change again before you get that one done...we decided to buy them both a book of "change order forms"

The surgery is only mildly painful Stiney...and you can milk the recovery if you now how to do it. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                Originally posted by STINEY

LMAO!!

Similiar experience, a buddy and I both have "better halfs" that run horse barns. After a rather lengthy and bewildering run of "honey-dos"...you know the ones, this is the priority, 75% gets done and then the priority changes only to change again before you get that one done...we decided to buy them both a book of "change order forms"

The surgery is only mildly painful Stiney...and you can milk the recovery if you now how to do it. ;D
                LMAO x2
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  Milner, it's hard to figure out who's your friend and who just wants to take advantage of an aquaintence. Someone who hasn't called or talked to you in a year, is not a friend, especially if he lives a few blocks away. If he calls and chats a bit to "catch up", then the conversation goes to borrowing your shop and lift. Not a friend. Sorry, but that what it is. I've spoken before about the difference between a friend and an aquaintence. Those guys get a "Sorry, can't help you."

In day and age of suing everyone, letting people use your property is setting you up for a lawsuit. Even good friends could become enemies over money.

My co workers all know that I work on my cars and other people's cars. So, I get the "can you look at my car" all the time. I always say no. Mainly, because I know practically nothing about anything made after 1988. If it's some kind of import crap. Take it someplace else. If they are someone I have a good relationship with, I try to help out with where to find a good wrench. If these people are only nice to me when their crap is broken, they don't even get that.

All that said, I have helped people stranded on the side of the road. I've helped fellow racers get back to the track. I've helped people at car shows get home.

Having a shop with a lift and heat in Michigan makes you a target of the free loaders. Guys with boats, guys with trucks and car trailers, guys with pickups, guys with heavier trucks: all get those people calling wanting to borrow your stuff. You'll know who is friend and who isn't. Say no to who isn't. They may call you names, but since they ain't your friend to begin with; who cares?
                  Well said, Scott. Just last night an old acquaintance called me up (my ex-girlfriend's brother actually) and asked me to tow his car home for him because he "didn't want to deal with paying a towing company do it". I didn't want to do it, but I'm a sucker, so I told him that if he fills up my gas tank for me, I'd do it. Mind you, I drive an 04 F250 V10 gasser, and my tank was pretty low, so I figured I'd at least get a full tank out of the deal. After the hour and a half round trip to pick up his POS Cavalier, he hands me $20. At the current gas prices it costs me $70 to fill my tank, and he figures that $20 is OK? He said that's all he brought with him because that's what it takes to fill up his Cavalier... Man, did I feel USED... I won't hear from him until he needs something else from me - but next time my answer will be NO! That $20 barely even covered the gas I used for the round trip, plus he stepped on one of the marker lights on my trailer and broke it. Never again, man.

On contrary, a neighbor down the road called me on my way home and was having a hard time getting the back window in his '76 F250 that he is building (for his first vehicle, he's only 16 and is a pretty motivated kid). I stopped in and gave him a hand, showed him a few tricks, and we had the window installed in about 15 minutes. He offered me a drink while I was there, thanked me a ton, and we chatted for about an hour about his project. He even offered me parts off of any of his parts trucks - the kid is genuinely grateful. I'll go back and help him ANYTIME, just for the fact that he genuinely wants to learn as much as he can, and is very motivated. I may never get anything in return from him, but it is worth it to see the drive and enthusiasm he has for learning. Very worth it.
                  Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
                  X