Quick question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question..

I have a buddy that has a 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo 2.5, the turbo went kaput.. He's not a crazy hot rodder but would like to make more power than it has already ( dead stock ). The stock replacement turbo costs $1000.. he would like to spend less than that.. or in the same ballpark.. any aftermarket suggestions, turbonetics, garret, junkyard?

Re: Quick question..

Rebuild it? Unless it ate something or destroyed the shaft, should be rebuildable?

We carry top brand turbos, including Blouch, IHI, and more! Order at Fast WRX today and increase your Subaru's horsepower with custom-built turbochargers.

says it's "unique" which translates to Pain in the a$$ when I hear it.

"...The 2005+ Legacy GT uses the IHI VF40 turbocharger. It uses a different compressor housing than other Subaru turbos, making it impossible to use a standard fitment Subaru style turbo with the new Legacy due to the direct connection from the turbo to the intercooler ..."

I saw a bunch of kits for the IHI VF40, however.

Comment

$

Comment

a thousand for stock subaru turbo..
        no way. that must be a selfish mechanic included.. :

they still aren't much beyond td04.

I am still baffled at four oggly eyed valves an open deck aluminum plug holes and dyno graphs hitting 400...

if they chopped that double fired math out of the equation, I could guess its an old fashioned 200.

don't pay alot.. 1000 is alot. rethink the problem a bit slower...
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
          a thousand for stock subaru turbo..
          no way. that must be a selfish mechanic included.. :

That's what I said..

Comment

I'll swing into PIA and see what they have to say about it, with costs...
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
              I'll swing into PIA and see what they have to say about it, with costs...
              Thanks man.

Comment

From Steve and Dave at PiA:

"A simple upgrade that would get you the numbers you are looking for would be an '09-up WRX turbo setup. Price-wise you'd be looking close to $1100, but that would set you up pretty well."

The prices ranged from about 1,000 for a JY scavenge to 1,300 for factory stock of a new turbo. JY's and parts places know what they've got on their hands and know they can get the money for them. They don't have anything else close to the parameters...pretty much after that swap it gets into stupid-money/stupid power territory.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                  From Steve and Dave at PiA:

"A simple upgrade that would get you the numbers you are looking for would be an '09-up WRX turbo setup. Price-wise you'd be looking close to $1100, but that would set you up pretty well."

The prices ranged from about 1,000 for a JY scavenge to 1,300 for factory stock of a new turbo. JY's and parts places know what they've got on their hands and know they can get the money for them. They don't have anything else close to the parameters...pretty much after that swap it gets into stupid-money/stupid power territory.
                  Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                  X