The REAL cost of EFI over a Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The REAL cost of EFI over a Carb

Since we where asked to start another thread about this subject here we go....

Remember I said for a motor that makes 1000+hp, and I'm not talking a motor that came with EFI, but one that needs everything, like a Generation 1 small block would need.

Throttle body 2000 cfm = Summit price, $554, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3888/

80lb injectors = Summit price, $461, http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...yword=injector

Summit Racing EFI Wiring Harnesses for GM, $650, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summi...Q5fAccessories

And it wasn't $1500 for a laptop(even though you can spend that much for one) but I included the AFR meter and software in that.

So even if you get the laptop for $300, your still going to pay $650 for the HPTuners software and another $400 for a LM2 AFR meter. Which works out to $1350.....

HPTuners, VCM Suite, MPVI, MPVI2, VCM Editor, VCM Scanner, tuning, OBDII vehicle

Don't kid yourself, EFI is more expensive when you start getting into those power levels........

Re: The REAL cost of EFI over a Carb

That sounds more like a "What's the absolute most you can spend on a 1000hp engine build with EFI" to me - consider changing the thread title maybe.

I'd be willing to bet that you can max out and spend that much and run a carburetor too. But I am not willing to do the math, it's more of a curiosity.

Although, you don't often see many "what's the most I can spend to make XX horsepower" threads, I give you an A+ for originality.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Mine

Throttle body 400.00
      EMS Pro 1500.00 if you make it less
      lap top 295.00 brand new
      injectors 300.00
      efi rails 30.00
      efi bungs 20.00
      EGO 300.00
      sensors 100.00

Have I left any thing out thats with a data logger dont forget to add that to a carb and a good carb not a Pro Systems and add the dyno time and 4 different carb spacers fuel log still need the ego set up and sensors to log with. Maybe 2 or 3 manifolds because its a wet system to get the fuel dist right. and if you spray it add a whole fuel side again.

2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

dyno time ...you must not forget dyno time ..it is critical

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          dyno time ...you must not forget dyno time ..it is critical
          You right with a carb not the EFI

Comment

seat of the pants tuning , my favorite tuning spot was the saw mill parkway or grudge night
            dudes are afraid of falling on their face with spectators ?

Comment

Comment

are any of the efi racers here running for points or class records ? or even running weekly ?

Comment

an EMS pro and the "flying lead" harness is about $900 shipped. Jeff's including a little extra if you pay someone to install it for you :-)

Don't forget to add to the carb, a fully programmable digital ignition. If we're comparing apples to apples.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

are any of the efi racers here running for points or class records ? or even running weekly ?
                    Its very common now including Top Dragster winners. Mike Beck in a dial your own with dry efi

Its came a long way and moving faster every day

Comment

seat of the pants tuning , my favorite tuning spot was the saw mill parkway or grudge night
                      dudes are afraid of falling on their face with spectators ?
                      This is 1000 HP NA you have not been there Big Boy

Comment

nope ....too many mouths to feed

Comment

Question:

This is purely from a curiousity standpoint, as I don't have a dog in this fight one way or the other and I am completely ignorant on the subject, but fuel pumps and regulators and filters, lines and cells have not been discussed yet. I would think if someone is going to try and produce 1000+ HP, the stuff the car came equipped with would be jettisoned in favor of parts that would be up to the task.

To support 1000 hp, what would be the best choices for each application (carb & EFI) and the associated costs that go along with them?

Let's start at the rear of the car and move forward....

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I have not kid myself yet with a build on my own.

ready to go efi? great. As long as someone else did it first.

and if it needs a tuner, that mythical guy who made a career out of it.. I do not want the engine anyway.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                              and if it needs a tuner, that mythical guy who made a career out of it.. I do not want the engine anyway.
                              Don't worry, it doesn't require a tuner. You can handle it yourself, I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X