BOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOB

en-time NHRA Pro Stock champion Bob Glidden has been in a struggle with his health since falling and bumping his head on the asphalt at Auto Club Raceway in glidden_wave_to_crowdPomona, Ca, following a qualifying pass during the Auto Club NHRA Finals last November.

Glidden?s collapse, attributed by doctors to an overabundance of potassium, resulted in a fractured skull.

Ever since the accident, Glidden has been in and out of the hospital due to complications. Those complications pushed Glidden in and out of consciousness, resulting in severe seizures. The Gliddens believe the worst is now behind them as Bob is at home in Whiteland, Ind., recovering.

Speaking in his first media interaction since being hospitalized, Glidden understands his limitations but wants the racing community to know he?s on the road to recovery.

?I?m not allowed to drive a car right now, but I am doing okay,? Glidden said on Wednesday evening. ?I?m doing good now. I?ll be fine.?

Had the Pomona incident been his first head injury, the resulting complications might not have been as severe. However, a largely untreated head injury from the 1970s has been blamed for creating serious complications.

Head injury awareness has increased by leaps and bounds since Glidden was involved in a drag racing accident back in 1972 during a wheel test in Bowling Green, Ky. According to the Glidden family, a front wheel failed sending Glidden's Pro Stocker through a guardrail and clipping a telephone pole. The car, with only a rollbar for safety, was essentially cut in half. The impact not only cracked his helmet but also knocked it from his head.

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, the dual injuries took their toll on Glidden?s body. His son Billy Glidden hoped for the best but braced for the worst as he watched his dad struggle physically.

?He?s one tough bird,? Billy said of his father?s miraculous recovery. ?He?s led a tough life. He?s been tough on his body. Eventually that takes its toll on all of us.?

Re: BOB

Best wishes for Bob Glidden and family.

The motorsport community is only recently coming to grips with head and neck injuries.

Comment

Working...
    X