Lock up your cats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock up your cats!

We have been having a bit if a problem around here lately with people stealing catalytic converters. Nefarious folks are jumping under the car (usually trucks) with a cordless sawzall and hacking them off. I'm guessing that the scrap value is pretty high on them right now.

Re: Lock up your cats!

Man!!!! I thought ALF was making a come back. Great show. ;D

Sorry, back to the point. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by smallblockjay
      Man!!!! I thought ALF was making a come back. Great show. ;D

Sorry, back to the point. 8)
      You act like this is all my fault. :P
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It isn't??? ;D 8)

Comment

Actually, I was going to start a thread on this. Not because anyone swiped my cat. However, I do have the one off the Camaro, which is an old GM bead-style. It's now race only, so I did something I NEVER do and lobbed it off.

The question is - how do you sell one of these, and to whom? Just take it to the scrap metal dealer? I'm guessing it has value.

Later
          Dan

Comment

a while back there was a stink on the ebay motors forum about why some can sell used converters on ebay and some can't...there must be a market there or there wouldn't have been all that crying about it.

an example:

Comment

The local news here had some jackball caught on video cutting a converter off, in daylight, at a local mall.
              The security caught him before he got away out of the lot.
              That story also had a small local daycare with a big dodge van, someone chopped the cat off it, like a $1400 repair bill!

My last two trucks...well, the converters fell off without the help of a meth head and a sawzall...I hate rust.
              As far as selling the converter material, the reason why they are getting swipped, is right now, some large converters are up to $80-$100 for the material inside.
              Same thing with older radiators...per pound, old large truck radiators are bringing decent money. I have a stack I need to cut the tanks off the radiators, and off to scrap they go, 5 regular truck and Torino rad's, should be $200-ish.
              That's not including the couple aluminum explorer units I have laying around.

We had a police & fire training building under construction, 25 feet from an exsisting station, and thieves got like 400 large brass fittings, and 400+ feet of copper tubing. A local church, being remodeled, same deal, lots of copper stuff taken, but they rammed down the gate, and this was in a GOOD section of the city.

It seems anymore, even if it's bolted down, forget it, it's fair play.
              > :o

Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Someone is now stealing the brass valves out of fire hydrants around the Riverside area. It's about $6 scrap value, but cost the fire department $100 each to replace. The hydrant will not work without it. So, if your house is on fire better pray that those thieves haven't made it to your street.

As for the cats. I hear tell that the Toyota ones have platinum in them. With the price of platinum these days, I may steal a few myself. My neighbor had her muffler ripped off her pickup while at work one day. Must've been a real bozo to steal a stock muffler. Since this town is full of illegals with little or no money; it wouldn't surprise me that some might steal the parts they feel are too expensive to buy legally.

Two of my coworkers had their cars ripped off recently. One was a 85 Camry, the other was a 89 Dodge Colt. Neither are worth a thousand bucks. The Dodge Colt didn't get far because the battery was weak because the alternator had failed a couple days before. The Camry was found missing a few engine parts.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All Catalytic converters have Platinum, it's the catalyst for the NOx if I remember right.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The theives have been hitting the car lots around here. It was on the news last week they stole a bunch from a couple car lots. Two days ago, one extremely stupid thief was found dead, by the utility crew answering a power outage. It seems he was trying to steal the wire from the telephone poles and touched two at the same time. :o Shocking how stupid they can be. ;D

Comment

i hate tweakers with a burning passion. if they spent a tenth of the time they work on scheming ways to steal a few dollars from hard working people actually working, theyd have plenty of money for drugs. personally i dont run cats on my mustang, they were removed by a previous owner (its terrible, i know, as soon as i find the origional parts, ill reinstall them, i swear...), but i hate to see someone get a big repair bill because some tweaker needed to get high. in my opinion the scrap industry should regulate itself better or it will get regulated even more! as a recycler you have to know that the guy bringing in a 600lb aluminum grate with the words DES MOINES WATER WORKS on it in big letters is probably stolen. the fact that hes unloading it with the help of a couple burnouts from a flatbed trailer pulled by a rusty 78 f250 would further that assumption in my mind. further, when you see it on every news channel and the newspaper that someone has stolen a massive grate/fence thing worth 30+ grand from the water works, alarm bells should go off in your head. in my mind, the scrapper should do time alongside the ones stealing this stuff. hell, i bet some scrappers ARE stealing this stuff..

Comment

Here in Greenville. SC. they caught a bunch stealing Copper Tubing out of construction a site and some of it was already installed. $12,000 Damage. Contractors complained about all of thier Copper Tubing would come up missing night after night. So the Police staked out the Metal Scrap yards and then followed whoever brought in Copper. They got them!!!

It's hard enough to make it in the Economy without People screwing with you, But when it is deliberate, it sucks even more.

Comment

my buddy got an X pipe & test pipes for his roush & some mexican stole both cats & h-pipe from his garage...

we're electricians so we have paper trash bags FULL of copper...dude passed 'em up...has me wondering if he's got a mustang...haha

Comment

haahahaha shhhhhh i dont have any cats on my c10 heehhahahaha ;D 3 inch dumps at the axle, you could say i like it loud

Comment

We've been hit with a couple of catalytic thefts. The garage next door has been hit with several, a garage down the steet has been hit.
                              It's a big pain in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X