Best source for take out/crate engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best source for take out/crate engines

Hey guys, I need a little help. Looking for a 03-04 Cobra 5.4 and 6spd trans with the computer and wire harness for a project in the shop. Was considering buying a wreck, but that seems $ foolish as most are sold as salvage vehicles for rebuilding, which makes them more expensive. I just want the drivetrain.

Re: Best source for take out/crate engines

All the breakers (like LKQ) I've bought engines from will sell you the engine, then sell you the harness, trans, etc extra and the markup is pretty bad... I buy all the little stuff on ebay and take the hit.

That 4.6 (I'm assuming) and t56 are going to be tough to find a deal on.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

I'll echo John here - I think you're better off buying a wreck, that way you KNOW you have everything you need, even the parts you don't know you need.... yet.

My old boss ended up using the firewall out of the wrecked cobra to put into his falcon/ranchero... he never anticipated doing that originally - but after looking at the entire swap - it made sense to do it that way.

LKQ and the other national chains I've dealt with are pretty proud of thier stuff, and they sell one piece at a time.
      (LKQ doesn't even ship between it's own yards anymore)
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

you picked pretty much the most in-demand powertrain out there, period. I know people who gave $15,000+ for motor and trans out of an 03 Cobra.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

LKQ and the other national chains I've dealt with are pretty proud of thier stuff, and they sell one piece at a time.
          (LKQ doesn't even ship between it's own yards anymore)
          I've bought a few engines off LKQ, they start them high, then week by week the price falls till someone bites. On the cool stuff like terminator engines and ls2/ls3s or any t56, it'll barely drop in price before someone snatches it up so it's not like LKQ is ripping people off, they just have a pretty simple way of letting supply find demand.

Police auctions are another good source. Sometimes you'll find non running seizures listed wrong that go for the right price.
          Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

I'd basically echo what the guys have said. From my experience it's cheaper to buy the whole deal and sell the bits you don't need later.

Another source to try - Fox Auto in Belleville, MI - they're on line but give 'em a call, too. Joe gets stuff from Ford's corporate scrap and he'll surprise youwith what he turns up. Also a Lionel train dealer. I'll harass John here for not mentioning Fox - it's right near his house. John - they ARE still a going concern, right?

Dan

Comment

I had considered the new 5.0L but $7k for the engine, $1500+ for the harness and ecm, and then there's the trans. Really don't know the limits of that engine yet, but we were looking for 600hp or more.

Comment

look on the modular mustang boards and SVTperformance.com. I would also look for a wrecked cobra. I have seen some higher mileage cars go for 15k (non wrecked)

Comment

You could always do what Katie Peters did and just buy the blown 5.4 crate engine (completete with 3 year/30K mile warranty) from Ford Racing. This thing hauls ass with the factory blower. Seriously, all they did was bolt it in this dragster with a set of zoomies and a Powerglide and it rips off 8.90's in Super Comp at 160+ mph. ALL DAY LONG.

And here's the best part.... they haven't even taken the valve covers off.

Ron

p.s. As for the 6-speed, I have no input. Sorry.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

>>> CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES T-56 Transmission (50k miles) W/Bellhousing McCloud Clutch - Stock ( x 1 ) 1700 ➫ >>Eaton M112 -Super Charger - w/stock pulley - Stock ( x 1 ) 350 ... ABS Hard Lines (front of car) - Stock ( x 1 ) 110 ... AC Accumulator - Stock ( x 2 ) 35 ... AC Compressor -...

8K for 03 motor and tranny.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Just FYI, the 03-04 Cobra had a blown 4.6L with a 6-speed. Blown 5.4 started in the 07 GT-500.

cheers
                      Ed N.
                      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

it can take at least 2500 hp until it goes yuk yuk
                        not 2505 hp
                        good luck , pretty sure there were two mark eights that got junked around here recently

Comment

Comment

turbo ;D

Comment

What spider gears said. Virtually the same motor, I believe forged internals(don't quote me). And you can find the mark VIII on craigslist running for fairly cheap. If you have a you pull it junkyard I am sure you can get by cheaper.
                              I Think the heads are aluminum but the cams are different? ( Not 100% sure on that either)
                              Jeff
                              Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                              X