Eletctric motor question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eletctric motor question.

At a job the other day, the AC guy putting a new system in a customer's house gave me the squirrel cage fan/ blower from the old air handler.

I know a couple people with "home made" fans made from such salvaged pieces. They move a BUNCH of air.

This one is a 3 speed motor, but it's rated 208 - 230 volts.

Electronics school was so long ago... It really is true, if you don't use it you lose it.

Will I burn it up if I run it on 110? Or should I seek a 110 motor?

Re: Eletctric motor question.

I canlt remember much either..

I do guess 200+ is never single phase, 110 is... would the motor even run?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I used a furnace blower motor ( I don't know if it was 110 or 220 ) but it didn't last long on 110. It did cool me down well when I was under a car during the summer. Good luck

Comment

208-230V won't work for long on a 110V circuit. It's probably single phase 208-230 if it's from an AC system (relatively low HP output)

Comment

I was remembering how bad it is for a starter to operate from a low battery, thinking it would be bad for a 220 motor to run on low voltage as well...

Then a thought occurred to me. Get a freaking step up transformer. Der der. :P The motor is rated at 1/3 hp, which is approximately 250 Watts... so I need a 300 Watt 110 to 220 transformer, then I'm in business.

Nothing like some tinkering to get the ol' creative juices flowin' .

Comment

the 220 volt won't run on 110. It will probably burn up the starter or the capacitor ( if it has one ). It will just hum until something gives. A transformer might cost more than running a new 220 volt outlet.
            OH YEAH
            Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

how about a picture of the motor's data plate?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

On a related note, I've had a Blue Blower fan I bought from the Mac Tools man 15 years ago, its a squirrel type too,
                110v, and I even picked up the add on heater for it then as well.

This thing is one of the best "tools" I've ever bought, works great in the shop or house, quiet, light weight and very portable, moves LOTS of air and even has an extra 110v outlet to plug into.

Not that a homebuilt BANGshift approved, recycled version wouldn't be great too, just offering a little perspective.

Here's a link to one like it on the bay

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

x2 on the blue blowers, and now there are nock-off versions off it. I have 2 blues and I love them!
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I've never seen a house with three phase... I'd wire up a circuit for 220 or put a 110 motor on it. You need a 220 outlet anyway for powdercoating oven, plasma cutter , etc. The fan will move enough air to do the whole dang house, it'll blow you out of the garage. I recommend it.

If you go 110, you can get a router speed controller for variable speed. Don't try a rotary light dimmer... don't ask how I know. ;D

If it's already three speed, get one of these thingies for that "pro" look. On high, it'll flat move some air. I love squirrel cages.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      how about a picture of the motor's data plate?

I tried, but the camera part of my phone just decided to die.
                      I don't think I have tried to use the camera since I ran over my phone a week ago... and I was thinking my phone was tough. puh.

The data sticker on the motor shows the 4 terminals for the plug and the two purple wires going to the capacitor (which is still mounted to the housing). Terminal 1 is for common, 2 is for High, 3 is for Medium, 4 is for Low. The plug only has 3 wires (no wire for Low speed- just a spade terminal, I can add one). It also says RPM 825/ 3 speed. The motor is grounded to the housing. From what I can make out of the schematic on the housing, it's telling me just what the data sticker on the motor does.

I actually have a 220 volt outlet in my garage, the dryer is plugged into it- but this blower motor appears to take single phase 220, so a transformer is needed, and only a 110 outlet will be required. I wish I would have realized this when the AC guy gave it to me; I am sure he wouldn't have minded me taking the transformer off the old air handler.

If I can score a 4 way rotary switch, I will definitely mount it to the plywood box I'll build for this project.... I'll just have to be sure it can handle the power load going through it unless I want to get complicated with relays and whatnot. <- which I don't. I wish to keep it simple. :P

Comment

look them up...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

ten bucks, ebay.

Comment

Rock on.

I may be getting a new room mate (mom) in the next couple days, which will put any and all projects on a questionable time line... But with y'all's help I have what I need to get this project done.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X