R.I.P. Captain Phil Harris from "Deadliest Catch", Dec.19,1956 -Feb.9,2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Captain Phil Harris from "Deadliest Catch", Dec.19,1956 -Feb.9,2010

Just read in TV Guide that tomorrow would have been "Deadliest Catch" Captian Phil Harris' birthday on Dec.19, he would have been turning 55 years old.

RIP to a good fisherman, and an even better father.

And good luck to Josh and Jake in the coming fishing season, I can't wait for the new episodes to air.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Re: R.I.P. Captain Phil Harris from "Deadliest Catch", Dec.19,1956 -Feb.9,2010

He was a good guy, but he was a total stress machine. He chain smoked, drank coffee and Red Bull by the gallon.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      He was a good guy, but he was a total stress machine. He chain smoked, drank coffee and Red Bull by the gallon.
      my dads best friend is like that, hes 49 and looks like hes 70, he smokes 4 packs a day and is so busy with work that he stays up for 3 or 4 days straight, its pretty crazy

Comment

What got me about that whole deal was the cameras went to the hospital. How did they do that? They're in there beside the bed.

I may have the entirely wrong idea, but I could see the producers of that show slamming their fists into the air saying, "This is GREAT footage! This will SELL"

That's all I coud think. Damn, the man's dying. For real. Reality TV at its worst. Recording the family's conversations in the waiting room.

And it aired, all of it. I guess that's TV these days. Everbody has to die sooner or later, but that part of it is sad, that "entertainment" has degraded to such a level.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
          What got me about that whole deal was the cameras went to the hospital. How did they do that? They're in there beside the bed.

I may have the entirely wrong idea, but I could see the producers of that show slamming their fists into the air saying, "This is GREAT footage! This will SELL"

That's all I coud think. Damn, the man's dying. For real. Reality TV at its worst. Recording the family's conversations in the waiting room.

And it aired, all of it. I guess that's TV these days. Everbody has to die sooner or later, but that part of it is sad, that "entertainment" has degraded to such a level.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall an interview with the camera man who was always by Phil's side. The guy said they became very good friends and it was Phil's request to film his last moments and air them on TV.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Capt Phil is the definition of cool.
            Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

its funny how small the world is, I was having a chat with a local police officer bout the local fishing and he told me how fishing was more fun where he was from - seattle, he was a crab fisherman when he was young and worked with capt phil in the 80s, I thought the guy was blowing smoke up my ass and then I met my daughters physics teacher and she told me how she was from seattle and I told her bout the cop I met from there, she laughed and goes on to tell me they knew each other from crab fishing days, im like WTF you too and yes she fished and partied with capt phil and told me some cool stuff about him you wont see on tv
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                Originally posted by peewee

I could be wrong but I seem to recall an interview with the camera man who was always by Phil's side. The guy said they became very good friends and it was Phil's request to film his last moments and air them on TV.
                Yea PeeWee, In the tribute show to Capt.Phil a pretty deep conversation was relayed between the producers.family,camera man and Phil. Phil wanted the cameras on as long as possible. The camera man basically kept Phil alive for something like 2 days before help arrived,
                Of all the so called reality TV (crap) shows on, that one last episode,with Phil Harris was the best Real TV I've seen.

I think Phil wanted to show his end to help change his sons path some,and give them something they can look back on,on tape.

Comment

Okay, I'm corrected with a positve attitude about it all. Really. I just didn't understand.

Hospitals? I've had 3 loved ones die there after long stays, and I just can't imagine TV cameras there covering it. That by itself, during those emotional times, would be truly disgusting.

Unless you (as the departed) wanted it so, I guess.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                  X