No announcement yet.

Their Trash = BangShifty Gold - Or, How I got a 50 year old compressor for free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Their Trash = BangShifty Gold - Or, How I got a 50 year old compressor for free

I got a call today from my college chum Dave that a family member's house was being sold and they were cleaning out junk. He said that there was an air compressor I could have. If I didn't grab it, the thing was headed for the scrapper. I've wanted an air compressor for some time and this baby was perfectly budgeted for me...zero dollars.

I asked if he could plug it in and see if it worked just to save myself the 60 mile drive if it was total junk. Dave plugged it in and it went puck-puck-puck, the pressure gauge started to move and I jumped in my truck like my hair was on fire.

This is a neat piece! It was sold as a Dayton Speedair compressor. It is a 20 gallon unit I believe. Built in 1961, it features a Wayne cast iron pump and a Westinghouse electric motor.

The compressor runs and does build (and hold) pressure. There's some hill-jack wiring that needs to be fixed as well as some of the original wire that needs replacing. It also needs all the rat crap and gunk cleaned off of it. My plan it to pull it all apart and "restore" it this winter. It'll be a fun project.

I'm going to drill a hole in my foundation and run a hard line under my porch with a quick-connect fitting on the end at my driveway. That way I'll be able to plug my hose into the house and have air at my al fresco shop (my driveway).

Most normal people don't give a rat's ass about this stuff, but I knew you dudes and dudettes would be into it because we're all the same kind of weird. :D

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Their Trash = BangShifty Gold - Or, How I got a 50 year old compressor for free

GOOD SCORE...my old man has the same one under his work bench...he paid 10.00 for his......about 30 years ago....
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Re: Their Trash = BangShifty Gold - Or, How I got a 50 year old compressor for free

Dude, DUDE! That looks exactly like the compressor my Dad got rid of a year or so ago. I wanted it too, but no means to get it here in the time frame he was looking to move it :'( His had a 220v motor on it.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We had one in the last hangar I worked in...loud as hell but supplied the entire hangar's air supply. Good score.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Here's the tag on the motor....

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Speed Air is suppossed to be a good brand, isn't it? Thats a very exciting finding!! Oldie but goodie
            sigpic
            Bluebaugh Racing
            Phoenix, AZ
            http://www.worldsfastestorganization.com
            http://www.1320racer.com

Comment

dave165?

Comment

Okay here's the real key to keeping that POS alive....

There is or should be a check valve at the input to the tank that is a one way check valve.... this insures the compressor head doesn't have to start against the tank pressure........ Make 100% sure that valve works... and the thing will last a life time...

If it's hard starting.... that a sure sign the valve is bad....

To rebuild one of these find the local industrial supplier to your manufacturing base.... often this is the guy who sells Bearings and such...... he's the guy in our town that has sources of all manner of parts for these things.... and he gets rebuilding stuff rather then replacing it.... most of the time..... ( course there are those weenies everywhere )

K

Comment

A cool vintage compressor for working on your cool vintage rides ... for no dollars ... perfect!!

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Soooo bitchin'!

Man, there's just something awesome about using old tools and equipment. It ought to clean up real nice!

Comment

Nice find!

it's as old as me....ancient....

I guess 1/2 hp is a heck of a lot better than nothing. Use it a while, and you'll want a big one....they're harder to find for free.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nice score! Are you gonna paint it when you rebuild it?
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

My Dads looks just like it,only 220v. Same vintage.

Will be mine someday.

Comment

no such thing as ancient for those...
                            awesome thing to inherit.
                            the farther back ya go, air compressors get more solid too.

the stuff that needs rooutine replace can get any old modern part... air dryer/filter/ check valves.

I am still pussyfooting with a newer husky home depot special... pathetic. That old one looks worlds stronger.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good score, Brian. I've got one of those I inherited when my father-in-law passed away but the pump went bad. I stripped the motor (1 horse) and pump off and made an airtank out of it. The motor ended up on a craftsman compressor that I , again, inherited when a good friend passed. Seems someone has to die for me to get a new compressor.

Comment

Working...
                              X