Spankie Can't See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spankie Can't See

Spankie the Dog and Frecklee the cat are both ~14 years old. Frecklee can't hardly hear (but he sure heard Brian's Goliath video). And Spankie can no longer see. I wonder why they don't work together that way, but they don't. The deaf leading the blind.

It's a part of life, I guess, you get old and fall apart. But it happens to pets seven times as fast on the calendar as it does to us.

Spankie just can't see. If you move a chair or something in the house, he'll run into it. He's working from memory, where everything is. It's hard to watch. He loses track of us in the room. If we move around he'll come sniffing chairs, trying to figure out where Muma and Dudy are...like a little kid, he has to know at every moment. And his sniffer's not working nearly as well as it used to, either. These days he can still hear a pin drop, but he sure won't be able to find it.

When I was a kid, my parents had a dog put to sleep because it went blind. I guess they just didn't want to put up with it.

Spankie's with us until the natural end. It's just hard to watch, although he's still romping and happy. Happy as long as he knows where we are in the room. Poor little feller - "Where's Muma?"

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Spankie Can't See

It's tough to see them get old like that. Just scratch their ears and keep them as comfortable as you can.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Yeah every time my big dummy does something stupid, he's 3 1/2, I think about the ones before him and what happened when they got old. He kinda gets a pass then.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I just got my old sube done with headgasket, upgraded exhaust studs to 1/2x1 inch -20 (don;t ask why such a little engine needs this) clean refreshed. 10 to 1 in the cold thumping its way to happiness.

driving home, no more odors, thumpy fresh compression...

BAM. hit a cat dead. I swore it was blind or deaf.. or even a stuffed animal. It did look at the lights last second my brakes stomped on. blind or deaf pets need to stay out of the road. front tire, then belly pan, the rear tire. the whole car ran over the whole cat. :

it did not pop however. not even a hair... not to intentionally gross anybody out, these thing happen.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

These are lucky pets to have you and your wife for their owners. Not all animals are so lucky...

Comment

Boxer, that's another issue. If your pet's out in the road and you are not with it on a leash, ....well, shit happens and that pet was not a "child" in a household to begin with.

We have furry children. Yes, it's sure an expense and a social burden at times (travel complications, etc.), but they ARE our kids. Every bit a part of our everyday lives as we are of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDOWN
              These are lucky pets to have you and your wife for their owners. Not all animals are so lucky...
              Topdown, thanks. Why have a pet at all if you don't take care of it? Seeing dogs tied to a tree outside, that really pisses me off. What's that, a burglar alarm? Yeah, I guess so. Wow, that just upsets me BAD.

Comment

Working...
              X