My wife would kill me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife would kill me....

This car is for sale locally... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My wife is gone on a trip to New York right now and I think she'd freak out (not in a good way) if I had this setting in the driveway when she got home. Now before you think she's not an understanding wife, she just let me purchase a Chevelle to go along with my Grand National.

This just may be overboard, but I'd really like to have a rusty old car that I could drive to work everyday. The others are too nice to daily drive. Then again, I don't know anything about 50s cars. Aren't they all 6 volts? I know in the new Hot Rod they talk about making a daily driver out of something not boring. This is sorta like that.

Maybe I could buy it, put a bow on it and tell her its a christmas present for her? If she doesn't like it I know who will. ;D
    Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

Re: My wife would kill me....

I know Tina would drive it if I bought it!!
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Originally posted by RAIV70Judge
      I know Tina would drive it if I bought it!!
      You got yourself one cool chick there Matt! You're doing the tour this year right? I had a great time hanging out with ya last year.

I just realized driving to Bowling Green, KY is the same distance as driving to the start of this years tour for me, and I live in FL!!!
      sigpic

Comment

It's always good to have a back up plan.

Might throw in a new welder or floor jack.......something
        she can use if she doesn't like the car
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Tell her you could not decide between the Buick or a new Whirlygig vaccum cleaner for her Christmas present.
          I love that dash -
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Has an identical car for sale here not long ago, man it was like new and the guy wanted $5400, it was like a one bedroom apartment on wheels.

Comment

yep.... 6v.
              cool car, when you going to tell her? ;D
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You could always plop the body down on a newer chassis and make it nice and reliable.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

We have a 54 belair that has the original pretty much everything save for the pertronix ignition.

The farthest I've driven it is about 150 miles. It's been reliable, pretty easy to drive and keep reliable, except for the galdarned torque tube - and - the lack of overdrive means the fuel economy on the highway is in the low teens.... as a bonus - it has no power!

If your plan is to drive it daily and you don't mind the lack of creature comforts or the lack of ability to keep pace with traffic.... ENJOY. They ride like a dream.

However - if you plan on putting AC in it - or making it a reliable highway cruiser - plan on the following:

12 volt conversion - including modern upgraded alternator, battery, all the light bulbs etc., a new wiring harness would be a wise choice at this point as well....

Replace the engine, transmission and rear axle with something modern (I'm going with a 292, 200r4, S10 axle)

OR
                  As mentioned - remove body from frame and set it on a S10 or similar readily available and cheap modern 2wd full frame set up that already has a modern powertrain on it. This would probably allow you to use the donor vehicle wiring with some modification... but easier than starting from scratch.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I love driving my 56 olds, it has been super reliable. the only change to mine is 71 400 sbc/th350 and wider rime, and radials.
                    I have the stock engine and trans ( 324 /4spdhydo) .
                    I think the olds gets more attention than the GTO ever got. People call all the time to have me drive them in there wedding and proms and such. Like I have time for that!
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

ran when parked

Comment

last some we got a 49 buick running that sat for 15 years in a barn. fresh oil, fresh battery, and a gallon of gas. pulled the plugs, spray ed wd-40 in the holes. cranked a few times, some gas down the carb and she fired right up. He drove it all summer!

I love the side opening hoods on the old buicks!
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

The others are too nice to daily drive.
                          Blasphemy I say......

Build it to a 10, and then drive it to a 1. ;)

Comment

She'd only do it once bishir, oh wait
                            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I sent the guy a trade offer in his favor. Who knows.... The fact that someone mentioned a nice one sold for 5g makes me think I'll get one of those one day. The only thing keeping me from spending money on it is the fact the GN needs brakes, and I want some nice wheels for the Chevelle. You guys are great though, I appreciate the encouragement.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X