The Great Mezzanine Thread - Steel in the Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Mezzanine Thread - Steel in the Air

I'm just back from Columbus, Ohio with a car trailer full of mezzanine. I'll take a second to explain that a mezzanine is a balcony-type deal installed in a shop so that there is additional overhead storage, office space, or whatever you need the space for. I mention this because you wouldn't believe how many blank stares I get when I tell folks I'm getting a "mezzanine" - evidently, lots of folks don't know that term.

Anyhow, I've been wanting some sort of overhead storage since we moved to Wilmington and we lost having a basement for that purpose. Quite a bit of my shop space has been used up for storage and it REALLY adds to making the shop a snake pit. I mentioned this to David Perris (Rack4U on here) at Maxton last year and he said that his company was removing rack storage from a huge warehouse in Columbus and that he was also charged with removing a bunch of mezzanine, which he offered to me for scrap price. I went to Columbus and looked at the set up and determined that there was a 19' X 14' section that would work nicely over one bay in my shop.

So how do I get this from Columbus to Wilmington, NC? Well, I own a car trailer - and just how heavy can one mezzanine be, anyhow? So off I go. The trip there was incident-free. I also found out that my trailer weighs just about exactly a ton when I did the empty weight of the rig.

David's guys did a magnificent job of loading but I didn't get any pics. David took some and I'm hoping he'll post them. The only real issue was that the two long beams and the decking are all 19 feet long and the trailer isn't so I had about 3 feet hanging over the back end. A couple of pieces of caution tape and problem solved. It also became important to get enough tongue weight but a little careful stacking and we were there. We got everything on my load except the stairs and some handrail, which David generously offered to take to his place in Eastern NC for me to retrieve later - or he may be able to deliver depending on how everyone's schedules work out.

So here's the pics:

The whole rig sitting in my driveway this morning:

The LOAD:

The Dakota was magnificent! All the way back thru the mountains in WV and VA with not so much as a sneeze. It's a 318/5.2 with an auto and the factory trailer towing package. On a few of the mountain passes we were in 3rd. at 4500 rpm (about 45- 50 mph) but other than that we zipped along at 60 MPH with the cruise "on". I did the whole 1400 or so miles in 3 days, including the loading. Using premium on the return trip, average FE was - 12.3 according to the on-board readout. Total weight according to the Cat scales outside of Columbus - 11,060. BTW - DO NOT attempt this w/o trailer brakes!

I'll follow up with assembly pics as I dig the parts off the trailer and start putting it in place. Stay tuned!

HUGE thanks to David and three cheers to all us BSers! Where else do you make these kinds of connections?

Dan

Re: The Great Mezzanine Thread

Dan, it looks like you got a full sized Erector Set for Christmas!

Comment

Yep! A couple of the pieces need a slight modification but it's pretty much a bolt-together deal. Wanna come play?

Dan

Comment

Are assembly instructions included ?
        :o

Comment

Nope. I'm on my own but I DO have pics of what it looked like when it lived in the warehouse. I'm gonna need 'em. There is also a big tub of spare bits - nuts & bolts, plates, U-bolts (not sure WTF those are for) - stuff like that. Essentially, it's the stuff that came in the little bags with YOUR erector set. They tried to give me more than enough of everything so I'll probably have some leftovers, which is OK, too.

Steve, you can come and play too.

Dan

Comment

I think I seed you passing through Fancy Gap.

Comment

Oh too late, Victor just volunteered ...
              :D

Comment

I tried to call you but the shop line was busy. I also stopped by the shop but it was all locked up - goofing off or towing? I et at the Lake View - great veggie soup. If you'll PM me you and Terri's cell phone numbers I'll enter 'em in the phone. Sorry I missed you.

Dan

Comment

I was on a towing Mission . Getting someone off an icy road.

Comment

That's too bad. Goofing off is more fun - although it IS fulfilling to get someone's car back into usefulness.

Dan

Comment

I sent you a PM with phone #s.

Comment

super cool!!!! like attic space it the garage :D ive used some mezzanine space in a garage
                        befor the only drawback was when you move alot of stuff up there at one time, its alot of climbing
                        but once its up there, its real handy space! The one I used was in a rental place so I didnt see how it
                        was installed.
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

One of the cool things is that I'm getting a real stairway with it - stout and steel! I'll hook up the chainfall right over the edge and leave it there to act as an elevator. I'm even thinking about a short section of crane rail so I can roll stuff right onto the mezz. The building steel is pretty stout and it can support a decent amount of weight if I place it correctly.

Dan

Comment

that sounds way better than the ladder and drag stuff up a rope way I did it!!!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Mezzanine, aint that a fancy way of saying balcony or are they different things. If I were closer I'd volunteer to help, I dig erector sets, and a giant scale one would be awesome to build.
                              Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Working...
                              X