Santa Came Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Came Today

ME and I went to the MAC service store here in Wilmington looking for a wireless keyboard for her laptop - she's looking for better ergonomics as it's her primary computer. Well, they had a used MAC Mini sitting there for $300. I really wasn't hungry for a new(er) MAC but the old G4 hemi couldn't do streaming video and it IS annoying watching video in chunks. It was only 800 (megabits, DPI??? 800 something was not enough). And ME wanted me to have a bigger screen as I have some visual challenges. Anyhow, we bought it. The folks we bought it from recommended that we get a flat screen monitor from Costco if we WANTED a flat screen. I did. They had a 23" on sale for $149 - 1080 DPI. My existing keyboard and mouse are OK and compatible so I kept them in service. Anyhow, I can now watch vids pretty much contiguously. There IS occasionally a small glitch in the video with the sound perfect and the two stay synchronized somehow. The seller said we may need to allocate the system differently so I can call him next week and we'll see if he can talk me thru it. Either way I'm VERY happy with the new system.

Don't know if any of you have seen a MAC Mini. It's hard to believe that something so small can even work, never mind being SO MUCH faster than the old G4. I've eaten bigger burgers than this thing. Seriously, it's like 6'X6" and maybe 2' thick.

What this means for my fellow BSers is that I can now screw up at lightning speed - so watch out!

Dan

Re: Santa Came Today

We'll be expecting big things
    from you now Dan

;D
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Good stuff Dan! Set you screw up phaser to stun!
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Very cool, Dan. I'm not Mac-savvy so I had to look up the Mini to see what it's all about. Seems like a nice little (literally!) setup. Have fun dialing it in - once you get things to your liking, it should be nice to work on.

Good call on the big screen, I bought a 25" last year and have no regrets. Videos are much more enjoyable and so is reading in general. Despite my four eyes I usually have to zoom in to read small text (even here on the forum sometimes, lol).

Enjoy!

Comment

What size are the injectors on it?

Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Congrats on the upgrade Dan!

I went to a Mac, and I aint ever going back. I love my 17in mac book pro, and when its time for a new PC...it will be replaced by another Mac !
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.
            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm typing this currently on my mothers 1.83Ghz Intel powered Mac Mini with 2GB of memory. I've been used to it's speed already, and while it's not the world fastest anymore, it's more than enough for mother.
              At home I've recently bit a bullit and upgraded myself from a 867mhz G4, which I've been using for 7 years already, to a 1-year old Mac Pro with a 2.93GHz Intel Xeon Quad-Core and 6GB of memory. It really flies.

Dan, sometimes when you're seeing glitches while viewing movieclips, it's possible the default setting of the clip is "HD" High Definition, or "HQ" High Quality. This means also there is a lot more data to be processed by the Mac than with normal quality videos. That's probably why your older Mac couldn't play these clips properly anymore. You can usually turn off this "HD"-mode and switch back to normal, lesser quality.
              My mother's MacMini still has issues sometimes with HD-movieclips but most of the sites I visit have 'learned' to serve the movies in standard quality only.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Thanks, BBM. I'll get with the seller (Biltzi Computers here in Wilmington) and have him walk me thru those settings. Definitely worth the effort - although I'm pleased with it as is. This one is 1.25Ghz with (I think) 2GB of memory. They suggested that we go to Best Buy and get the latest Mini but that was $400 more and this one really does what I need done.

My old G4 was 867Mhz so this one is a BIG upgrade.

Injector size=just right. No flooding but it doesn't go lean under WOT.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X